Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by mercalia »

I'VE STRUCK GOLD
well well I found 3kg of gold today at a Lidl a bit further way than my normal one -

This was Sunday afternoon, not 8am in the morning. So lidl does have some ( some where) & some people have enough. so maybe theres hope?

pkts of Gold Dust?
pkts of Gold Dust?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Time for a poll? Is l**l the best store? I have one nearby now, I shop there quite a lot, but there are four other stores nearby that I use too, all in walking distance :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Time for a poll? Is l**l the best store? I have one nearby now, I shop there quite a lot, but there are four other stores nearby that I use too, all in walking distance :wink:

I do not think a poll is useful because it will vary between areas. I am concerned about their reputation for mistreating staff but I have been shopping there mostly because they have not been using the crisis as an excuse to mistreat customers (I have been shouted at in one store and obstructed in another), the store is not too confusing and the queues are predictable (go early on Tue, Wed or Fri and there is often none). I will have to visit another store soon because Lidl do not stock some necessaries, including: coffee filters, benecol, paella rice or paper bags.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Time for a poll? Is l**l the best store? I have one nearby now, I shop there quite a lot, but there are four other stores nearby that I use too, all in walking distance :wink:

I like Lidl but the nearest one is 2.5 miles away and as I have an Asda, Aldi, Tescos, Sainsburys and Waitrose all within a mile I can't be bothered to go to it too often.

Lidl were supposed to be opening a store near me this year in an existing building but no sign of it yet, presumably due to the lock down.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mercalia wrote:I'VE STRUCK GOLD
well well I found 3kg of gold today at a Lidl a bit further way than my normal one -

This was Sunday afternoon, not 8am in the morning. So lidl does have some ( some where) & some people have enough. so maybe theres hope?

WP_20200524_14_28_12_Pro.jpg

The ALDI I was in last week had large 16Kg bags of white plain flour.
Has anyone spotted any wholemeal SR or plain yet? I’m in our last bag of SR
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

The lidl near me has a nice in store bakery. Also they are all over France and Germany. Very handy when touring as they have excellent rest rooms.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Lidl have built a new larger store a mile away from me,we shop there almost exclusively as their product range and prices are unbeatable.
Very pleased with our local Lidl :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mine is BREAD FLOUR as rare as hens teeth in Lidl
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
What bread flour?
I use strong white and wholemeal.

Other half went to lidl this week, no yeast, no cheap shortbread fingers but everything else :)
Last week I managed a sainsburys online shop (they are meant to be prioritising "Very Vulnerable" customers for online shop, but as of yet none for me so I have to look two days in advance at just after midnight.
You cannot contact sainsburys except by phone which cuts off as they are too busy?
I tried "resolver" online to complain and I got an auto message directing me to there online help pages :x

We have two lidl and they are building another, two sainsburys, two aldi, several tesco, asda, morrisons plus others in a 3.5 mile radius and a good road too.

Friend at work goes early to stores and always see's a box (one big box with many small boxes 8x7g sachets ) in sainsburys, they said they will pick one up for us so we will see, or a fiver on ebay 50 grams.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Paulatic wrote:Has anyone spotted any wholemeal SR or plain yet? I’m in our last bag of SR

I think Watlington Post Office had some but I bought bread flour.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Tesco Taunton had bags of SR flour, there own Stockwell brand for 45p and also 16Kg bags of flour but i didnt take any notice if this was bread flour. This was a couple of days ago. :wink:
I picked up some paracetamol as well but was shocked to see the price had been ramped up to 75p for a box of 16 tablets. These were selling for 25p a couple of months ago. How can they justify a 200% price rise :cry:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

My Lidl is selling disposable masks
WP_20200601_15_09_45_Pro.jpg

10 for £7.99.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:so my Lidl is selling disposable masks
WP_20200601_15_09_45_Pro.jpg

10 for £7.99.

Careless disposal of disposable masks is causing problems for litter pickers and recycling bin collections. It's not just unrecyclable plastic waste, it's potentially-contaminated unrecyclable plastic waste. In time, I expect we'll be shown fatbergs from people flushing them away and seabirds trapped in the discarded ones blown off the coast.

Go cloth unless you're vulnerable, please. If you must use medical masks, put them in a sealed plastic bag, keep it three days, then put it in a landfill bin.

In hoarding news, I rode to the nearest supermarket yesterday to get about 3 weeks backlog of things not in Lidl, parked up, then noticed the queue stretching around the far edge of the car park and the bad organisation - so I got back on the bike and rode to the town centre branch of the same chain, parked up and walked straight in, past a polite greeter/counter and into a store stocked with everything I wanted except paella rice. There are several possible explanations for this strange behaviour, none of which are great.

Tomorrow, the open air food market resumes here - and back in its normal home after maybe 4 years away, because the stalls can be properly spaced there and their "temporary" home in the shopping centre is now occupied by 2m-spaced queues for the chain stores.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
What bread flour?
I use strong white and wholemeal.

Other half went to lidl this week, no yeast, no cheap shortbread fingers but everything else :)
Last week I managed a sainsburys online shop (they are meant to be prioritising "Very Vulnerable" customers for online shop, but as of yet none for me so I have to look two days in advance at just after midnight.
You cannot contact sainsburys except by phone which cuts off as they are too busy?
I tried "resolver" online to complain and I got an auto message directing me to there online help pages :x

We have two lidl and they are building another, two sainsburys, two aldi, several tesco, asda, morrisons plus others in a 3.5 mile radius and a good road too.

Friend at work goes early to stores and always see's a box (one big box with many small boxes 8x7g sachets ) in sainsburys, they said they will pick one up for us so we will see, or a fiver on ebay 50 grams.

Took me a few attempts to get through to Sainsburys to get them to match my vulnerable status to my wife’s account.

But they’ve been releasing a few slots at a time continually - always a few days ahead though, but that’s not been an issue, you just have to order slightly sooner. Once a slot is booked you can change the order up to 11pm the night before.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Thanks Bob.
Been doing online shopping with Sainsbury's for several years so I know the system pretty much.
What really annoys me with Sainsbury's is that they said they will only deal with slots for very vulnerable people to start with and that was a list from the NHS.
I've been on this list now for probably more than a month five weeks and as yet Sainsburys have never contacted me.
Yes we have managed to get some slots to take the stress off my partner from going to the shops and Attempting some sort of social distancing which varies dramatically from shop to shop.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.