Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Paulatic

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by Paulatic »

kylecycler wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 7:18pm I'm just frustrated right now that I can't get parsley at my local Spar to put in the soup. Suppose it could get worse, though.
If you were next door to me you’d be sick of parsley. Been a great year for it and I’ve some wherever I look.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 7:07pm Lack of lorry drivers?

It's Europe-wide, and has been an issue since the mid 2000's. Getting worse now.
As somebody posted in another thread, the driver shortage is Europe wide but the UK is the only country suffering because of the nature of the operational changes Brexit has brought about (cabotage operations)
https://trans.info/en/there-s-a-europe- ... ted-254524
...while in Poland, whose population is just over 50% of the UK's, the number is almost 124,000 - noticeably higher than the 100,000 UK figure referred to by the RHA. Despite this, shelves in Poland's supermarkets are fully stocked. Moreover, there are next-to-no reports of pubs or restaurants experiencing supply chain issues.
Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

kylecycler wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 7:18pm I'm just frustrated right now that I can't get parsley at my local Spar to put in the soup. Suppose it could get worse, though.
If parsley is all you're short of you are doing well. I had to drive to a bricks & mortar supermarket today as home delivery had deteriorated to such a waste of time ("product unavailable"). Not good use of petrol as I only managed half of what was on my list. Chilled meals virtually empty.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mentioned by me on another thread about lack of HGV drivers .........
Listen to More of Less on R4 where they analyses the statistics.

The lack of HGV drivers has been Europe wide since 2019 - if I remember correctly.
Pre Covid and pre Brexit, and been going downhill for years before that.

Besides the R4 programme, they don't pay the drivers enough, and they have to work long hours too.
Issues of delivering during the day due to city traffic, and during the night due to residents complaining about the noise.

As I say, try getting an HGV job, and tell us about it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 8:06pm Mentioned by me on another thread about lack of HGV drivers .........

The lack of HGV drivers has been Europe wide since 2019 - if I remember correctly.

Besides the R4 programme, they don't pay the drivers enough, and they have to work long hours too.
Issues of delivering during the day due to city traffic, and during the night due to residents complaining about the noise.
Yes, we discussed those statistics and the many problems at some length in the other thread.

What do you think that the UK should now do in response, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 8:06pm Mentioned by me on another thread about lack of HGV drivers .........

Yes the job was suffering a lack of drivers for years,but then the stupid Mr Johnson invoked his 'oven ready' deal and all the EU drivers did a runner back home which turned an already depleted workforce into a skeleton crew.

As a result the idiot Mr Johnson left the UK up a brownish and smelly creek sans paddle.

Now the idiot Mr Johnson and his crew of imbeciles say if you can drive a car and caravan you can drive a 32tonne(sorry for the metric)lorry on our roads and make a living out of it.

Aren't you glad you left the EU? :)
Last edited by reohn2 on 23 Sep 2021, 8:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Have you read the article linked to above? There is more to the issue than a shortage of drivers (as Poland demonstrates). As the article points out, Poland has a far worse shortage but its supermarkets and restaurants, etc. are fine because of the efficient way they (and other European countries) can use their drivers. But due to Brexit we are more constrained so not asthe UK has become (i.e. the efficiency of load carrying is also significant and Brexit effects have lowered our load efficiency).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Article above on your post?
It doesn't load.
Total blank screen.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Loads fine.

Safari on macOS, although I suspect that the browser (in that sense) may not be the problem.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 8:36pm
Loads fine.

Safari on macOS, although I suspect that the browser (in that sense) may not be the problem.

Jonathan
Fine for me as well.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Freezes my Safari browser on my MacBook.
Tried it on my iMac too.

Hang on a sec, I'll try it on my iPhone.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Works on my iPhone.
Read it later, but from a quick scan through it, it doesn't agree with the BBC! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
ossie

Post by ossie »

I was at my regional DVSA site a few weeks back. There's a massive backlog of HGV tests due to Covid and a massive future demand from new drivers.

Like everything else it will settle down but naturally those with a political stance will seek to make a point (same posters, same gravy)

Personally I've seen very few shortages in my local Tesco or Asda, however they've reduced the amount of fuel pumps by half in the petrol station.

You want to see proper shortages rather than a press initiated call to arms visit Cuba.
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 7:45pm
PH wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 7:19pmFor evidence that Europe is suffering a driver shortage and that it's getting worse, just Google.
The importance of the shortage of HGV drivers in the UK is that we can't deliver things such as food, vaccines, sewage treatment chemicals, and vehicle fuel. A knock-on effect is that we can't empty bins. Which other European countries are experiencing the same, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
There's an estimated 400,000 driver shortage in the EU. Whatever it was they were doing isn't getting done.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 10:32pm
Jdsk wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 7:45pm
PH wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 7:19pmFor evidence that Europe is suffering a driver shortage and that it's getting worse, just Google.
The importance of the shortage of HGV drivers in the UK is that we can't deliver things such as food, vaccines, sewage treatment chemicals, and vehicle fuel. A knock-on effect is that we can't empty bins. Which other European countries are experiencing the same, please?
Try Google, your demands for evidence are one sided, provide some of your own, you're the one challenging a comment made, do so with some evidence please.
There's an estimated 400,000 driver shortage in the EU. Whatever it was they were doing isn't getting done.
I had a good look this evening for other European countries experiencing food shortage due to supply chain problems . I couldn't find harmful effects anywhere near the same as Great Britain's.

When I specifically looked for France it came up with M&S's problems and the UK's shortage of carbon dioxide. And for Germany the shortages related to WW1 and WW11. Screen dumps below.

Jonathan

Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 22.40.39.png
Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 22.41.31.png