Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 11:46am Crisis?
What crisis?
The crisis that's threatening care and emergency workers with not getting enough fuel to go to work and do their jobs.

The crisis that delayed deliveries of flu vaccine, and may now do the same to prescription drugs.

And I think that it's the same crisis that is causing fruit and vegetables to go unpicked.

That crisis.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 28 Sep 2021, 11:58am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 9:05pm
ossie wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 8:56pm Are their any contingencies in place for care workers ?
I'm not aware of any national responses.

I hope that local arrangements are appearing.
"Public services in Surrey are considering declaring a major incident in response to the fuel supply crisis, it has emerged."
https://www.itv.com/news/london/2021-09 ... r-incident

Jonathan
jb

Post by jb »

The long view would be that if certain other people don't get enough fuel then me having a full tank could well be irrelevant as to how long I can keep going as a lone bubble.
Its the same thinking as survivalists take without understanding that even with all there precautions at some point they will need others input. We survive as a team and unless you like living in primitive conditions the complexities of the modern world mean we all work together.

When Mr television survivalist is in the woods showing us how to catch rabbits & eat mushrooms I don't see him mining and smelting ore to make his next knife.
Cheers
J Bro
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 11:51am
Mick F wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 11:46am Crisis?
What crisis?
The crisis that's threatening care and emergency workers with not getting enough fuel to go to work and do their jobs.

The crisis that delayed deliveries of flu vaccine, and may now do the same to prescription drugs.

And I think that it's the same crisis that is causing fruit and vegetables to go unpicked.

That crisis.

Jonathan
MickF only understands ther to be a crisis when it affects MickF
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jb wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 12:24pm The long view would be that if certain other people don't get enough fuel then me having a full tank could well be irrelevant as to how long I can keep going as a lone bubble.
Its the same thinking as survivalists take without understanding that even with all there precautions at some point they will need others input. We survive as a team and unless you like living in primitive conditions the complexities of the modern world mean we all work together.

When Mr television survivalist is in the woods showing us how to catch rabbits & eat mushrooms I don't see him mining and smelting ore to make his next knife.
Now yer talking like a leftwinger,better watch out......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

At last it is emerging that the people most at fault for the current run on the pumps are the media. As the title of the famous book says they wield 'Power without Responsibility'. A fuel crisis makes great news, glues everyone to their TV sets, ups the ratings and advertising revenue so who in the media cares if it causes chaos?

And as for profiteering on fuel prices, isn't that just 'free market' capitalism in the raw? In California the energy companies even plan their network maintenance for times of high demand so that they can create scarcity, up the unit prices and make a killing.

Now, back to that book on why anarchy works :wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I can't follow the ITV News link without getting bogged down with cookie settings but I'm at a total loss to understand how declaring a major incident would alleviate what's happening.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 12:54pm I can't follow the ITV News link without getting bogged down with cookie settings but I'm at a total loss to understand how declaring a major incident would alleviate what's happening.
"Under the Designated Filling Station Scheme, only marked emergency service or NHS vehicles would be allowed to use the designated filling sites. Any vital public staff without a marked car could get a sticker through what officials call the Temporary Logo Scheme."
"Declaring a major incident leads to the creation of a local Strategic Coordinating Group – which temporary (sic) brings police, fire and NHS services under a single command structure to allow emergency services to coordinate and make quicker decisions."

https://www.tech-gate.org/usa/2021/09/2 ... -incident/

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Yes. I know about major incidents and I really don't think it would alleviate the situation in any sort of a timely manner. On the contrary, that sort of lingo just adds ... er .... fuel to the flames.

IMO, if there were to be any sort of short term prioritisation of supply for private vehicles, then licensed taxis and private hire would be the only way. That would go some way to ensuring that the available fuel was going to vehicles being used mainly for essential transport; if necessary, key workers could be given priority in taxis etc and their employers could pick up the tab.
rjb

Post by rjb »

A simple way to enforce some form of control would be to allow vehicles to only fill up on alternate days depending on the first number on the license plate. Odd numbers one day, even the next. At least it would cut the queues at filling stations by half. This might then relieve the panic situation when drivers see a queue and insist on joining it. :)
Trying to prioritise certain groups is fraught with problems. I bet everybody in the filling queue has an excuse for why they think they are a priority. :x
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

R2 and me agree on almost everything.
I'm proud to be a Leftwinger too and the Tory people are "scum" ......... as described by "what's her name?"

The Brexit that the Tories sorted isn't the Brexit some of us wanted. I was always against the Union of Europe and I'm glad we're out of it, and we shouldn't have joined in the first place .................... am I repeating myself? :lol:

Yes, co-operation.
Yes, have free movement of people and trade.
Yes, to the CM or the EEC.
No to the UE.

As for the "crisis", the Tory government ........... are they actually a government, or are they a shower of self-serving money grabbers? ................ were warned about this years/months ago. The writing was on the wall, and written large back as recently as spring this year. What did they do? Flop all.

HGV driver shortages are Europe-wide and have been for a decade. They can cope because of two things - may be more than two?
One, they have open borders.
Two, they aren't so reliant on car ownership as we in UK.

Said my piece, so I'll get back to my beer. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rjb wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 1:50pm A simple way to enforce some form of control would be to allow vehicles to only fill up on alternate days depending on the first number on the license plate. Odd numbers one day, even the next. At least it would cut the queues at filling stations by half. This might then relieve the panic situation when drivers see a queue and insist on joining it.
Yes.

It has been done in attempts to reduce pollution, including in Paris. It was reported that more people deliberately bought two cars but that shouldn't be a problem in what only needs to be a short crisis.

rjb wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 1:50pm Trying to prioritise certain groups is fraught with problems. I bet everybody in the filling queue has an excuse for why they think they are a priority.
That's a welcome counterpoint to the idea that they're all stupid.

The reports from Surrey suggest that they have a way for prioritising key workers.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 1:53pmHGV driver shortages are Europe-wide and have been for a decade. They can cope because of two things - may be more than two?
One, they have open borders.
Two, they aren't so reliant on car ownership as we in UK.
Yes, more than two: they didn't make the IR35 changes, and conditions for long-distance drivers are said to be better, although I very much doubt that there's any consistency across Europe. And the barriers we have chosen to erect affect both movement of labour and delays at borders. And then there's cabotage.

But are other European countries less reliant on car ownership than the UK? In a way that makes drivers of HGVs less crucial? Anyone?

Jonathan
Syd

Post by Syd »

Is Barrs Irn-Bru going to be next?

Irn-Bru maker AG Barr reports delivery 'challenges' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-58710019
Debs

Post by Debs »

Apparently due to this Brexit fuel crisis some garages have imposed a maximum limit of £30 worth of fuel for each vehicle.

This means those who are sensible and drive in on vapour fumes with an empty tank, will leave the garage with it over half empty, and possible to then drive to the next petrol station to fill up completely (?)

Those who are adding to the issue of panic queuing by driving in with a 3/4 full tank already are being rewarded for their antics with a brimming full tank top up!

Brexit isn't working very well is it : (