Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rjb

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by rjb »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 1:57pm

The reports from Surrey suggest that they have a way for prioritising key workers.

Jonathan
Could you tell us how this works please. :?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rjb wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 2:18pm
Jdsk wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 1:57pm The reports from Surrey suggest that they have a way for prioritising key workers.
Could you tell us how this works please.
The two articles linked upthread have a few details:
https://www.itv.com/news/london/2021-09 ... r-incident
https://www.tech-gate.org/usa/2021/09/2 ... -incident/

And Sky News has the key points from the National Emergency Fuel Plan, which include:
• Designated Filling Station Scheme giving priority access to emergency and critical worker vehicles
• Bulk Distribution Scheme prioritising deliveries to the emergency services, public transport and utilities
• Commercial Distribution Scheme prioritising deliveries to vehicles used in key supply chains including food and health

https://news.sky.com/story/revealed-gov ... s-12420320

Jonathan
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Debs wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 2:10pm
This means those who are sensible and drive in on vapour fumes with an empty tank, will leave the garage with it over half empty, and possible to then drive to the next petrol station to fill up completely (?)
Well driving in on vapour isn't necessarily great for the fuel filter and £30 is about 70% of a tank for my car.

then again I've done 26 miles since I filled up a few weeks back.

ok smugness over.

I am seeing anecdotal posts on various social medias of people having to sort their bike out for their commute. A product of how many easily cycled trips are driven and could be cycled all the time with the provision of suitable infrastructure and a few sticks for car driving.
Jdsk wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 2:01pm But are other European countries less reliant on car ownership than the UK? In a way that makes drivers of HGVs less crucial? Anyone?
Some are, most aren't. It's also more complicated in some respects. Car km driven per head is higher in NL than GB for example. Much of that is because people there are on average richer and, more importantly, far less unequal (so the median wealth/income is significantly higher), but despite driving tons, they could also be described as less car reliant due to their extensive and ever growing vastly superior cycling provision.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Debs wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 2:10pm Brexit isn't working very well is it : (
Yer right again! :wink:
Last edited by reohn2 on 28 Sep 2021, 4:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

One thing worth remembering is that, whatever the causes of the current difficulties, there are no fuel queues in Continental Europe.
John
Syd

Post by Syd »

Reports today say that the HGV driver shortage isn’t confined to the UK.

The root cause of the fuel issue is BP not having enough drivers to keep a handful of outlets stocked, leading to irresponsible reporting and, of course, panic buying.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re BP I read somewhere that they wrote to the govt., about potential problems pushing for relaxation of visas etc and that was leaked to the media who were more than happy to run the story. Bliss for the media. Better than choirgirl abuses vicar or bishop bites dog.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Syd wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 2:03pm Is Barrs Irn-Bru going to be next?

Irn-Bru maker AG Barr reports delivery 'challenges' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-58710019
Well, that's it. It's all over. :(
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

How about Bucky? :twisted:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Syd wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 3:04pm Reports today say that the HGV driver shortage isn’t confined to the UK.
Some numbers across Europe upthread, and everything seems to track back to the same TI report:
viewtopic.php?p=1640728#p1640728
https://www.ti-insight.com/wp-content/u ... ges-LB.pdf

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Proud to say I have used less than a gallon since 15th Sept.... :wink:

As for going to Europe that would use more than a tankfull :roll:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pwa

Post by pwa »

Oldjohnw wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 9:44am
thirdcrank wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 9:33am Point of information: slavery is said to be an inefficient system of production, but don't ask me for a source.
I'm sure it is. But it would appeal because it seemed cheap. That's the thing with market forces which are themselves inefficient which is why they constantly need manipulated and rigged. Some think selling of railways/prisons/whatever saves money which is why they do it. It save nothing.
I'm not saying good legislation and regulation aren't necessary. They are. But on their own they are not enough. In a market where labour is plentiful and jobs hard to find, employers take advantage and make life no better for their workers than the legislation demands. Where good workers are hard to find, employers know they have to try harder. And that makes the workplace better.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Debs wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 2:10pm Those who are adding to the issue of panic queuing by driving in with a 3/4 full tank already are being rewarded for their antics with a brimming full tank top up!
Going back to the 70s ..............

Shortage of bread, loo rolls, sugar, light bulbs ...................

Go to a supermarket and buy what you are limited to, and then go another supermarket, and buy what you're limited to ............... etc etc etc.

People don't know they're born these days.
I was born during rationing .......... and before ITV came along. :D

Even in the early 70s we had petrol coupons - though never needed - but there was petrol rationing and long long queues.
My cars in those days would hold six or seven gallons only. Later years, we had a car that had a tank to hold a massive ten gallons.

Cars are too big, too powerful, hold too much fuel ........................ and too ubiquitous.
As far as I'm concerned, the situation is a good one.
Yes, look after the emergency services and the health workers, but Joe Public should get on the bus or the train or cycle to work.

If they can't, they should revolt and sack all the politicians and get some common sense running the country.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Syd wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 3:04pm Reports today say that the HGV driver shortage isn’t confined to the UK.

The root cause of the fuel issue is BP not having enough drivers to keep a handful of outlets stocked, leading to irresponsible reporting and, of course, panic buying.
HGV shortage is not confined to the UK. Garages running out of fuel is. Of course the government said, “Don’t panic, there is plenty of fuel.” But this is the government that said there would be no border between GB and NI. Or that as soon as we left the EU they would be queuing up to sign deals with us. Or that we would retain free flow of goods. As soon as they say there isn’t a problem, it’s not unreasonable to assume that there is.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 3:16pm

My cars in those days would hold six or seven gallons only. Later years, we had a car that had a tank to hold a massive ten gallons.

Cars are too big, too powerful, hold too much fuel ........................ and too ubiquitous.
As far as I'm concerned, the situation is a good one.
Yes, look after the emergency services and the health workers, but Joe Public should get on the bus or the train or cycle to work.

If they can't, they should revolt and sack all the politicians and get some common sense running the country.
My much more powerful car today uses half of the fuel that my car 40 years ago did. I can get 700 miles on a tankful. Not everyone can use a bike or has a suitable bus service.

Remind us how we can sack all politicians.
John