Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by thirdcrank »

mjr wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 12:29pm ... How is it with the rest of you now?
Re fuel supply, all over bar the shouting in LS27. We went shopping this morning as we usually do AM Monday. (Sainsburys this week as they sent us a load of money off coupons.) No queue at filling station at all. Mrs thirdcrank went into the kiosk to pay and the very friendly colleague on the till told her the staff had been subject to a lot of verbal abuse over the last several days but he was blaming the problems 100% on the media for stoking it all up.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I drove in to local town this morning (to take bike into LBS for repair) and on the way passed Waitrose petrol station empty of everything and closed. I was not after fuel anyway but small sample suggests crisis is not ended everywhere yet.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 2:53pm I drove in to local town this morning (to take bike into LBS for repair) and on the way passed Waitrose petrol station empty of everything and closed. I was not after fuel anyway but small sample suggests crisis is not ended everywhere yet.
We're having some work done on the house and the carpenter can't come as planned because his van is out of Diesel fuel.

And I'm sure that it's also affecting things that really matter.

Jonathan

Screenshot 2021-10-07 at 15.04.33.png
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

No doubt the media stoked it up. But initially they reported a reality.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We were in Tavistock in the car earlier today, and considered buying petrol.
Have just under half a tank left, and we usually fill up to the top when it gets to where it is now as the pointer thingy always drops quickly after the half-way point.

Last filled up on Monday 20th Sept and drove to Exeter and back the following day. Round trip of nearly 100miles.

Morrisons where we usually fill up is, and has always been, a busy fuel station. It was no different today, so we didn't bother.
We have no intention of driving very far soon, so we'll get petrol when we're out, and not go out to buy petrol.
Mick F. Cornwall
jb

Post by jb »

My cars been in the garage having a dent removed the whole of this fuel crisis. It's not fair - I demand the right to panic buy.
I'm certainly not filling the courtesy car up 😡
Cheers
J Bro
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Oldjohnw wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 3:26pm No doubt the media stoked it up. But initially they reported a reality.
Next time I'm at Sainsburys, I'll put the colleague right.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

We were in Cambridge on holiday when it all hit the fan luckily I'd filled up with diesel juusssttt before fan strike(last Friday).Since then I've been able to dpfill up the car once without issue and one of my motorcycles twice without issue though the first time I had to queue behind three cars.
So no big deal for me.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

thirdcrank wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 4:46pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 3:26pm No doubt the media stoked it up. But initially they reported a reality.
Next time I'm at Sainsburys, I'll put the colleague right.
I’m sure the Sainsbury person has a legitimate view but that doesn’t give them some special wisdom. The simple fact is that the press reported a problem that BP had after BP made the announcement. The press did not make up the continued difficulties some still have. There is a limit to how much panic buying and stocking up people can actually do.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Thanks for putting me right.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Had to take Swambo for an appointment at the hospital today. Low petrol light came on so filled up at Sainsbury's on the way home. £29.86 filled it up.
£1.32.9 a litre. We only have a small car an i10, and we will only fill it up when the low tank light comes on. Will probably last us until next month. Drove straight in to an unoccupied pump. No signs of queuing in Taunton. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Still a shortage in some parts, whatever the cause:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... SApp_Other
John
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Apparently it started again :oops:
Queues at fuel stations.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Did you know that 90% of the toilet paper used in the UK is imported from Russia? (Well if Putin can made up twaddle, don't see why I can't as well). :)

Ian
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 3:01pm Hi,
Apparently it started again :oops:
Queues at fuel stations.
Idiots.
Apparently a woman wanted a refund on a comedy club ticket as it was too risky to travel from Hull to Blackpool due to the Russia/Ukraine stiuation.
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/loc ... y-23223995
How do these morons get by every day :roll: