Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
mjr wrote:Not only has there not been "the constant availability of every product" but there has been sporadic non-availability of any product of some basic foodstuffs. Several UK grocery stores seem to have over-optimised their supply chains to the point of fragility and they have failed to keep us supplied with basics like flour, rice and tinned beans through this crisis.

That's wrong. They have absolutely kept us supplied with product, but the behaviour of the consumer has been so very atypical*, What do you think that they should or could have done differently in the circumstances?

*That's a euphemism by the way

They absolutely haven't kept us supplied. Maybe they've kept you supplied, but not us.

I don't know what they should have done differently - and in general, I can know something is broken without knowing how to fix it - but they could have kept anti-bulk-buying limits in place until there were no longer empty aisles.

Then people would have multi-tripped until and unless entrance was restricted, which is something I suggested immediately I saw it in force in Paris - not only for virus protection, but also to control sales. It was taken up perhaps 5 weeks or so too late. Even then, people were 'shopping for others' etc.

If cupboards up and down the land are opened it's an Aladdin's cave of stuff, good for many months, I'm sure.

However, with flexibility about what we've bought (i.e. my wife bought it, I created meals from it!) we haven't been short of good food to eat. We've also found a couple of local suppliers, who we now expect to use long-term.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mjr wrote:They absolutely haven't kept us supplied. Maybe they've kept you supplied, but not us.

I don't know what they should have done differently - and in general, I can know something is broken without knowing how to fix it - but they could have kept anti-bulk-buying limits in place until there were no longer empty aisles.

Then people would have multi-tripped until and unless entrance was restricted, which is something I suggested immediately I saw it in force in Paris - not only for virus protection, but also to control sales. It was taken up perhaps 5 weeks or so too late. Even then, people were 'shopping for others' etc.

I'm not seeing a problem with multi-tripping. If the idiots want to put themselves at most risk in order to hamster the food, they can, but there is still a limit of say six bags of flour and more chance of some left for the rest of us, rather than idiots buying it by the case.

"Shopping for others" is a difficult one but I suspect there could be a solution, such as requiring registration or handing over someone else's loyalty card info.

If cupboards up and down the land are opened it's an Aladdin's cave of stuff, good for many months, I'm sure.

What good does it do if it's in someone else's cupboard?

However, with flexibility about what we've bought (i.e. my wife bought it, I created meals from it!) we haven't been short of good food to eat. We've also found a couple of local suppliers, who we now expect to use long-term.

How can you be flexible about buying flour when there is none of any type in the shop?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I didn't say it was any good. But fgs there isn't a 'food tap' that's just turned on and off at will. If people overbuy then there's nothing of that product on the shelf. The supply chain will compensate to some degree but it hasn't got infinite capacity. You seem to think it has, or should have. It simply doesn't, yet in some way it's the retailer's fault, or someone's fault, anyway. It should be better, it just should. Well there's a point when it can't be, not for some time, especially if international demand is significantly increased.

As for flour, well we eked out what we had in stock, and changed our habits, eating different things until we could buy some (last week, as it happens). It was a little inconvenient, but that's pretty much it. We haven't gone short, nor have elderly parents who are reliant on us (especially as they could no longer get an online order for home delivery - they're both highly vulnerable, and housebound).
RickH

Post by RickH »

Our local Aldi, where we mostly shop, has most things apart from flour well stocked. It has been like that for a while. Seldom much of a (well spaced) queue outside either.

I went & got flour today (plain, self-raising & strong bread flour), admittedly more expensive than Aldi, from a friend who runs an artisan baker. She has no trouble getting flour, she gets it delivered 3 times a week in 16kg bags. Since it has been hard to get she has been selling it by the kg to customers (or whole sacks if you can use it & want a better price).

She said the same as I'd already heard, that there's no shortage of flour but there (still) isn't enough capacity to pack it into 1.5kg bags. Plenty of availability in 16kg packs of most varieties.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

RickH wrote:Our local Aldi, where we mostly shop, has most things apart from flour well stocked. It has been like that for a while. Seldom much of a (well spaced) queue outside either.

I went & got flour today (plain, self-raising & strong bread flour), admittedly more expensive than Aldi, from a friend who runs an artisan baker. She has no trouble getting flour, she gets it delivered 3 times a week in 16kg bags. Since it has been hard to get she has been selling it by the kg to customers (or whole sacks if you can use it & want a better price).

She said the same as I'd already heard, that there's no shortage of flour but there (still) isn't enough capacity to pack it into 1.5kg bags. Plenty of availability in 16kg packs of most varieties.

shame lidl dont stock 16kg bags of bread flour would still be cheap about £9?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Just back from Bigtown and ALDI not been there for 6 weeks. A successful shop our shelves are now restored and the only things missing on ALDI's shelves were wholewheat pasta and any flours.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Paulatic wrote:Just back from Bigtown and ALDI not been there for 6 weeks. A successful shop our shelves are now restored and the only things missing on ALDI's shelves were wholewheat pasta and any flours.

I heard on the radio that the continued shortage of flour in the shops is because big bread companies have bought all the stocks.

That's OK by me as it puts a stick in the spokes of the flour hoarders. They'll just have to buy ready made bread every so often like the rest of us and they won't be able to stock up with huge amounts of flour so denying it to the bread makers who supply the majority of us.

I suppose that's unfortunate for those who like to bake the odd loaf and make the odd cake and who would have bought the odd bag of flour when they needed it, but hoarders are selfish people and ruin things for everyone.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

AFAIK there is plenty of flour but it's wrongly packaged. It isn't in the right size and it doesn't have he appropriate bar code. It was meant for the hospitality trade. I don't know why this hasn't been rectified yet.

I don't blame or condemn people for baking. They are stuck at home with a family all day. Children need fed - they are normally at school. Teaching children baking - as well as learning new skills yourself - is a good thing.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Just back from Bigtown and ALDI not been there for 6 weeks. A successful shop our shelves are now restored and the only things missing on ALDI's shelves were wholewheat pasta and any flours.

I heard on the radio that the continued shortage of flour in the shops is because big bread companies have bought all the stocks.

That's OK by me as it puts a stick in the spokes of the flour hoarders. They'll just have to buy ready made bread every so often like the rest of us and they won't be able to stock up with huge amounts of flour so denying it to the bread makers who supply the majority of us.

I suppose that's unfortunate for those who like to bake the odd loaf and make the odd cake and who would have bought the odd bag of flour when they needed it, but hoarders are selfish people and ruin things for everyone.

You don’t have to buy Chorleywood bread but you obviously choose to. Don’t inflict your choice on me. I’m hoarding flour big style as I bought a 16Kg bag. :D

E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oldjohnw wrote:AFAIK there is plenty of flour but it's wrongly packaged. It isn't in the right size and it doesn't have he appropriate bar code. It was meant for the hospitality trade. I don't know why this hasn't been rectified yet.

That's what I've been told at reast twice by bakers. This is being rectified as hospitality venues reopen as food shops because the supermarkets failing has created opportunities: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=137124&p=1474916#p1474916
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well well well. Today Lidl Streatham had quite a few bottles of their cheap liquid ant-bacterial hand soap. Why was it not all gone? well they were refill containers with no plunger/dispenser. I hope Lidl continues with this as selling with the dispenser is surly not green and a waste, and they just go to the land fill as they cant be recyled as they consist of an assortment of materials? All the flour had gone and still no bread flour
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mercalia wrote:well well well. Today Lidl Streatham had quite a few bottles of their cheap liquid ant-bacterial hand soap. Why was it not all gone? well they were refill containers with no plunger/dispenser. I hope Lidl continues with this as selling with the dispenser is surly not green and a waste, and they just go to the land fill as they cant be recycled as they consist of an assortment of materials? All the flour had gone and still no bread flour

Yep took them long enough.
BUT, once you get inside its business as usual, out local has minimum social distancing by staff and the partners of shoppers, and no one way either.
Other supermarkets have at least tried, but Lidl no chance.
If I had witnessed it lately I would complain to lidl, then I would probably get banned............

Whatever you do Don't let your partner do the shopping...............the last three trips has seen the cupboards bursting, If Its Not On My List dont buy it :roll: :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

I have still never queued during this crisis and apart from a few things at the start I have got everything I want.

My local Asda has long queues until about 8pm and then none at all.

I go at 9pm and it is just like shopping pre-crisis.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Shopping this week I bought bananas and milk.
We received a food parcel yesterday because we are old and vulnerable. :lol: I’ve never seen myself as that but apparently five pensioner households in the village are chosen every week for a handout. I certainly didn’t hand it back.

E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What was in it please?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies