Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by Psamathe »

mattheus wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:18pm
Jdsk wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 11:50am ...

Here's the Transport Intelligence report:
https://www.ti-insight.com/wp-content/u ... ges-LB.pdf

And here's the key table with the numbers:
Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 11.38.14.png

Perhaps we should ask Poland what they've done ... and not do that!
The article posted a few pages back https://trans.info/en/there-s-a-europe- ... ted-254524 presents a worse shortage in Poland except highlights they are not suffering the impacts we are in the UK because UK problems are made worse by Brexit meaning UK operators cannot operate as efficiently (cabotage system used across EU). As you say, Poland hs a worse shortage but no issues with supermarket shelves nor with restaurants not able to get food, etc.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:18pm Perhaps we should ask Poland what they've done ... and not do that!
Or perhaps ask the Scandinavians what they're are doing right and follow their example?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
jb

Post by jb »

reohn2 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:26pm
mattheus wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:18pm Perhaps we should ask Poland what they've done ... and not do that!
Or perhaps ask the Scandinavians what they're are doing right and follow their example?
You mean quickly reduce our population down to their level?
Cheers
J Bro
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jb wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:41pm
You may have a point if their percentage rate of vacancies is the same or higher than the UK's,otherwise.......
W H Auden
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Polish data is from 2020, perhaps this year they're one of the main beneficiaries of the UKs ideological choices?
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

At Waitrose this morning it wasn’t just the caviar and sesame oil that was missing on the shelves. There were no frozen peas (and hardly any other frozen veg, for that matter although I wasn’t buying that).

Thankfully, the Spam shelf was fully stocked.

Have no fear, though. According to Mr Bolzonara, Mr Johnson has been begging emergency corned beef or something. You discover your real friends and likeminded allies in an crisis.
John
jb

Post by jb »

reohn2 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:43pm

You may have a point if their percentage rate of vacancies is the same or higher than the UK's,otherwise.......
I think that their whole economic model is different and un-replicable in our country, their gas and oil wealth goes a lot further per head for instance.
Our glorious leaders depend on high population levels to keep things cheap and them rich.
Cheers
J Bro
peetee

Post by peetee »

It’s particularly telling that stocks of many provisions in Lidl shops have been low or missing for a number of weeks while Tesco, for example have full shelves. Lidl are German and have been operating in the UK as a main, nationwide supermarket chain for a relatively short time. I would hazard a guess that they have, or rather, had a large proportion of non-UK nationality drivers on their fleet.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 1:07pm At Waitrose this morning it wasn’t just the caviar and sesame oil that was missing on the shelves. There were no frozen peas (and hardly any other frozen veg, for that matter although I wasn’t buying that).

Have no fear, though. According to Mr Bolzonara, Mr Johnson has been begging emergency corned beef or something. You discover your real friends and likeminded allies in an crisis.
It really would be so much more convenient if the retailers could gather together the panic bought goods and clearly mark the Panic Buying Aisle.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Anyway, now we're sovereign and make our own laws we can just make shortages illegal.

End of problem at the stroke of a pen. So long as the Queen can be persuaded to sign up.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 1:45pm Anyway, now we're sovereign and make our own laws we can just make shortages illegal.

End of problem at the stroke of a pen. So long as the Queen can be persuaded to sign up.
This is the sort of thinking we need - have you thought about a political career OJ? :D
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Bonefishblues wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 1:46pm

This is the sort of thinking we need - have you thought about a political career OJ? :D
It's the clarity of thinking that serial senior moments brings. I am becoming my old grandmother.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jb wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 1:15pm
reohn2 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:43pm
I think that their whole economic model is different and un-replicable in our country, their gas and oil wealth goes a lot further per head for instance.
Our glorious leaders depend on high population levels to keep things cheap and them rich.
I couldn't agree more.
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Oldjohnw wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 1:07pm Have no fear, though. According to Mr Bolzonara, Mr Johnson has been begging emergency corned beef or something. You discover your real friends and likeminded allies in an crisis.
He should ask him whether we can also have an emergency supply of Brazil nuts. That'll fox Mr B.... :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 1:45pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 1:07pm At Waitrose this morning it wasn’t just the caviar and sesame oil that was missing on the shelves. There were no frozen peas (and hardly any other frozen veg, for that matter although I wasn’t buying that).

It really would be so much more convenient if the retailers could gather together the panic bought goods and clearly mark the Panic Buying Aisle.
On our hols ATM in St Neots.
Went into Lidl yesterday to do some shopping and noticed the toilet rolls were somewhat lacking in that there weren't any,a thought occured to me just what is it that leads people to think that for some strange reason they won't be able to wipe their arris in a crisis? :?

PS,I've also noticed a total lack of dockleaves in the StNeots conurbation..... .......hmmm...thinks perhaps there's more to this than meets the eye.........
Last edited by reohn2 on 24 Sep 2021, 2:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden