Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 12:49pm I took it that pwa meant "dull" in the sense of lacking charisma. That's possible even if somebody is academically bright as a button
Never known the word to be used in that context but how would he know - I doubt he's met him. Starmer had a lot of success in jury trials during his career. Charisma is a prerequisite for a successful trial lawyer.
I've heard a lot of people claim John Major has no charisma but I doubt anyone who has met him socially would say that.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I've never met Major but met Willam Hague a couple of times.What a complete personality vaccuum he was.To say he was boring is like saying lung cancer is mildly irritating :|
I'd sooner cut off my own feet with a plastic knife than have to talk to him again :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Never met a high-ranking politician, but I have met a few high-ranking naval officers.

Some were limp-wristed and boring in the extreme with zero charisma, and some were strong and gregarious, and good leaders. Some are promoted automatically, and some are promoted through merit.
No doubt all people are in some sort of range between the two.

Best commanding officer I had was Commander Zambellas. HMS Argyll.
He did very well for himself! :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Zambellas

It takes a certain sort of person who wants to be a politician. Normal people aren't interested in being a politician.
You could argue that normal people don't want to join the RN either! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 7:38pm
It takes a certain sort of person who wants to be a politician. Normal people aren't interested in being a politician.
Indeed there is a line of thinking that anyone who wants the job shouldn't be allowed anywhere near it
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

pete75 wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 6:35pm
thirdcrank wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 12:49pm I took it that pwa meant "dull" in the sense of lacking charisma. That's possible even if somebody is academically bright as a button
Never known the word to be used in that context
"As dull as dishwater" a much used phrase.
Got to admit I always thought it was ditchwater :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 8:02pm"As dull as dishwater" a much used phrase.
Got to admit I always thought it was ditchwater
It was, then it switched:
https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... ditchwater
https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... ns-thereon

Jonathan
ossie

Post by ossie »

Mick F wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 7:38pm Never met a high-ranking politician, but I have met a few high-ranking naval officers.
I've met numerous. I've had to babysit many over the years. David Miliband is probably the most obtuse Individual I've encountered...
Last edited by ossie on 1 Oct 2021, 9:24am, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 8:05pm
Paulatic wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 8:02pm"As dull as dishwater" a much used phrase.
Got to admit I always thought it was ditchwater
It was, then it switched:
https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... ditchwater
https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... ns-thereon
That's completely on except a bowl!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

pwa wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 4:17am Well there must be loads of them around here because Labour came very close to losing seats they used to win by a landslide, decade after decade. If Labour look vulnerable in former coal mining areas such as Neath, something has shifted. They will have to play their cards very carefully next time round if they intend regaining lost ground. But this panic buying will help them to get floating voters seeing the Tories as incompetent. Starmer is as dull as dishwater, but dull begins to look appealing when the alternative lacks a steady hand on the tiller. If Labour had not done so badly last time round, I'd say the next election could be theirs to lose if the Government does not up its game.
Out of interest, I've just had a look at Neath results. In the six General Elections this centaury, the biggest labour vote was for the Corbyn led Party of 2017, though 2001 wasn't far behind. The worst Labour votes were either side of it, in 2015 when UKIP took 6,000 votes and in 2019 when UKIP stood aside and the Tory vote increased by the same amount. You say something has shifted, it ought to be obvious from the numbers what that something was.
Labour has a huge problem with Brexit, it has since the referendum was called and it hasn't resolved it. The left want out for the opposite reasons the Tories do, the majority of the party (Lets call them the pragmatics) are divided, they want in, but know half of their core voters, like those 6,000 in Neath, want out. I don't know how this gets resolved, Corbyn didn't either and Starmer seems to be just hoping it'll go away.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

From Private Eye:
C26B4BA5-3472-44C3-BA01-4AE9492A5147.jpeg
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PH wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 10:53pm
pwa wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 4:17am Well there must be loads of them around here because Labour came very close to losing seats they used to win by a landslide, decade after decade. If Labour look vulnerable in former coal mining areas such as Neath, something has shifted. They will have to play their cards very carefully next time round if they intend regaining lost ground. But this panic buying will help them to get floating voters seeing the Tories as incompetent. Starmer is as dull as dishwater, but dull begins to look appealing when the alternative lacks a steady hand on the tiller. If Labour had not done so badly last time round, I'd say the next election could be theirs to lose if the Government does not up its game.
Out of interest, I've just had a look at Neath results. In the six General Elections this centaury, the biggest labour vote was for the Corbyn led Party of 2017, though 2001 wasn't far behind. The worst Labour votes were either side of it, in 2015 when UKIP took 6,000 votes and in 2019 when UKIP stood aside and the Tory vote increased by the same amount. You say something has shifted, it ought to be obvious from the numbers what that something was.
Labour has a huge problem with Brexit, it has since the referendum was called and it hasn't resolved it. The left want out for the opposite reasons the Tories do, the majority of the party (Lets call them the pragmatics) are divided, they want in, but know half of their core voters, like those 6,000 in Neath, want out. I don't know how this gets resolved, Corbyn didn't either and Starmer seems to be just hoping it'll go away. (My emphasis.)
The Alf Garnett effect is nothing new, as Jonny Speight showed long ago
pwa

Post by pwa »

Psamathe wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 12:49pm
pete75 wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 12:36pm
pwa wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 4:17am
Well there must be loads of them around here because Labour came very close to losing seats they used to win by a landslide, decade after decade. If Labour look vulnerable in former coal mining areas such as Neath, something has shifted. They will have to play their cards very carefully next time round if they intend regaining lost ground. But this panic buying will help them to get floating voters seeing the Tories as incompetent. Starmer is as dull as dishwater, but dull begins to look appealing when the alternative lacks a steady hand on the tiller. If Labour had not done so badly last time round, I'd say the next election could be theirs to lose if the Government does not up its game.
Starmer dull? I think not. Working class lad, qualifies as a barrister, takes silk and ends up as a knight of the realm and Director of Public Prosecutions. You need to be pretty bright to do all that, especially from his background.
My Mum (who has voted Conservative all her life, reads the Telegraph every day, etc.) has now decided she could vote for Starmer as he "seems a sensible chap". And she's so disappointed with Johnson, if there were and election tomorrow Starmer would be getting her vote.

I wonder how crucial massive support internally within the party is - all parties need a lot of votes from non-party members to get elected.

Ian
Your Mum is the sort of voter who matters at election time, because if she switches from Con to Lab she will be a reliable Tory voter jumping ship, and if lots of others do the same............... I have said many times before that any Labour leader really wanting to get in Number 10 must appeal to Tory voters who are not altogether happy with the current Tory offering. Starmer is a bit boring, but in this context boring is good. It is non-threatening, safe and therefore a real possibility. I wouldn't bet against Boris having a few more mishaps between now and the next election, so Starmer may win over a good chunk of former Tory support. And being heckled by the hard left in his own party may actually help him.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

thirdcrank wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 7:54am The Alf Garnett effect is nothing new, as Jonny Speight showed long ago
Have I just discerned a new variant of Godwin's Law?

Carry on a debate about Brex**it for long enough (in this case 104 pages) and inevitably Alf Garnett will sneak into the discussion.

But you ain't wrong! I've believed right from the start that much of Brex**it was fuelled by xenophobia - and indeed racism. In fact that's exactly what I remember shouting at a huddle of pro-Brex**it campaigners I encountered in the shopping centre before the referendum. They looked nonplussed - but they didn't argue back...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

661-Pete wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 9:40am
thirdcrank wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 7:54am The Alf Garnett effect is nothing new, as Jonny Speight showed long ago
Have I just discerned a new variant of Godwin's Law?

But you ain't wrong! I've believed right from the start that much of Brex**it was fuelled by xenophobia - and indeed racism.
Am awaiting the replies with interest.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Carry on a debate about Brex**it for long enough (in this case 104 pages) and inevitably Alf Garnett will sneak into the discussion.
Often snuck in by me, for what I consider a valid reason: Warren Mitchell's portrayal of Alf Garnett illustrated this accurately, although it may have gone straight over the heads of many he was satirising.