Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
LancsGirl

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by LancsGirl »

I entered this phrase:

"400,000 drivers eu shortage" into Google and pressed enter.

The first result was this:

https://www.clecat.org/en/news/newslett ... ght-market
clecat is an industry body, by the looks of things. The article credits two apparently authoritative sources.

The second result was this:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... 0-000.html

Most of the other results were similar, generally giving the Transport Intelligence report.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 10:32pmThere's an estimated 400,000 driver shortage in the EU.
LancsGirl wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:52amMost of the other results were similar, generally giving the Transport Intelligence report.
Thanks.

Much of what I could find seemed to be based on the Transport Intelligence report, and it would be very helpful if PH could confirm whether that is the source of "estimated 400,000 driver shortage in the EU".

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 10:50pm
reohn2 wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 8:19pm Now the idiot Mr Johnson and his crew of imbeciles say if you can drive a car and caravan you can drive a 32tonne(sorry for the metric)lorry on our roads and make a living out of it.
I don't know where this has come from, but I'm pretty sure there's no proposal to allow driving that weight of vehicle on a car license.
I must admit I only saw an article on the news with a car and caravan parked next to an HGV with a 40ft trailer which IIUI was a proposal by government that the same licence could be used to drive both units.
I stand correct of I'm wrong but nothing would surprise me with the present bunch of clownatics.

PS,I've long advocated anyone driving a larger trailer eg; caraven,horsebox,etc should have to take a seperate driving course and test or at the very least an assessment before being allowed on to our roads.
Last edited by reohn2 on 24 Sep 2021, 9:36am, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

These days, you can't tow above a certain weight without another test.
Ditto larger vans.
The change happened years ago.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Is this why we loose our entitlements to drive certain groups when we renew our licence at 70.?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 9:30am These days, you can't tow above a certain weight without another test.
Ditto larger vans.
It's not just weight that matters,size plays a very importand part of towing,there are now are caravans 2.44m wide and upto 6.4m long not including the drawbar which AFAIA are allowed to be towed on a car licence..
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 9:30am These days, you can't tow above a certain weight without another test.
Ditto larger vans.
"New rules for towing a trailer or caravan with a car from autumn 2021"
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-rules-f ... er-in-2021

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rjb wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 9:40am Is this why we loose our entitlements to drive certain groups when we renew our licence at 70.?
I'm unaware of this clause.
Would it not be better to have seperate driving test/assessment at 70 and an adittional one for towing larger trailers and vehicles?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 9:46am
Ditto larger vans.

Jonathan
AIUI that's a skip around of existing weight limit laws to fill some of the HGV driver shortage ie; 7.5t LGV licence with adittional 3.5t trailer.
Am I correct in that assessment?

PS,I'm 68 and have been towing large trailers and caravans and occasionally 7.5t box trucks for a charity I was involved in,for over 40years so whilst I know what I can drive I'm not sure how the law applies to other younger drivers,so would need to take a look at the regs.
Last edited by reohn2 on 24 Sep 2021, 9:58am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 9:53am
Jdsk wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 9:46am
Ditto larger vans.
AIUI that's a skip around of existing weight limit laws to fill some of the HGV driver shortage ie; 7.5t LGV licence with adittional 3.5t trailer.
Am I correct in that assessment?
I think that's the motivation, but I have to look up each category to understand either the old or new rules.

The other changes are in:
"Changes to HGV and bus driving tests from autumn 2021"
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/changes-to- ... utumn-2021

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The (first?) change happened decades ago.
Two daughters both with driving licences and both now in their 40s and had passed their tests as 18/19 year olds.

Elder daughter's driving licence is exactly the same entitlements as mine, but younger daughter's one is different in the size of the vehicle allowed and of the towing rules.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 10:15am The (first?) change happened decades ago.
Two daughters both with driving licences and both now in their 40s and had passed their tests as 18/19 year olds.

Elder daughter's driving licence is exactly the same entitlements as mine, but younger daughter's one is different in the size of the vehicle allowed and of the towing rules.
As above: it changed four days ago.

Jonathan
jb

Post by jb »

Do figures show a disproportionate number of accidents amongst novice trailer towers and van rentals?
I can imagine the figures would shoot up if there was suddenly a large cash incentive to drive bigger vehicles on a normal licence, but at the moment that may not be the case.
Cheers
J Bro
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

I'd rather that change had gone the other way around. Driving is already lethal enough as it is, we need more stringent management of it, not more leniency.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
PH

Post by PH »

reohn2 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 9:19am I must admit I only saw an article on the news with a car and caravan parked next to an HGV with a 40ft trailer which IIUI was a proposal by government that the same licence could be used to drive both units.
I think that might have been a comparison of size rather than weight. I believe the Maximum authorised mass (MAM) you can drive on any car license remains at 8250kg, which you'll know from your experience doesn't allow much capacity for cargo.
There has been a lot of nonsense talked about the new LGV tests, someone was telling me yesterday you'll no longer have to demonstrate the ability to reverse. It isn't true, that testing which takes place off road will be done by a third party, rather than qualifies examiners, I've no problem with that. When I took my Class III the examiner stood in the yard and watched, it's a pass or fail, you could probably get software to observe.