Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 9:23pm Seems the petrol supply crisis is nothing to do with driver shortage but is:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/grant-shapps-fuel-crisis-drivers-b1927265.html wrote:Anger as Grant Shapps claims hauliers have ‘created’ the fuel shortage crisis
Grant Shapps has sparked an angry row after claiming hauliers have “created” the fuel shortage crisis, despite the government admitting to a lack of lorry drivers.

The transport secretary was accused of a “disgraceful attack” and of “shamefully passing the buck” for the queues at filling station forecourts, as the worsening situation threatened to engulf the government.
So looking like the only people not to blame are our Conservative Gov.! They really are trying to divert attention from the fact that they have been warned about this again and agai and ignored it, failed to plan and suddenly they are desperate to deflect blame - which in itself shows what a bunch of incompetents they are.

Ian
It now needs a general strike of HGV drivers,which this incompetent minister could very well spark off with comment s such as this.

These morons absolutely beggar belief with idiotic blatherings and lies!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 9:36pm
Psamathe wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 9:23pm Seems the petrol supply crisis is nothing to do with driver shortage but is:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/grant-shapps-fuel-crisis-drivers-b1927265.html wrote:Anger as Grant Shapps claims hauliers have ‘created’ the fuel shortage crisis
Grant Shapps has sparked an angry row after claiming hauliers have “created” the fuel shortage crisis, despite the government admitting to a lack of lorry drivers.

The transport secretary was accused of a “disgraceful attack” and of “shamefully passing the buck” for the queues at filling station forecourts, as the worsening situation threatened to engulf the government.
So looking like the only people not to blame are our Conservative Gov.! They really are trying to divert attention from the fact that they have been warned about this again and agai and ignored it, failed to plan and suddenly they are desperate to deflect blame - which in itself shows what a bunch of incompetents they are.

Ian
Smart move Mr Shapps...
He's a clever Shapp
W H Auden
ossie

Post by ossie »

reohn2 wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 9:39pm Yes I understand all that.
My point is that this government needs showning up for the inept and totally out of their depth sham it is.
People need to see that for things to change for the better,not being able to move around conveniently as we wish is a big step in illustrating just how inept and stupid the sham,err sorry,government is,up to now we've only been very mildly inconvenienced,having no personal transport for most people is like turning off their oxygen!

Boris Johnson's Brexit is ruining this country,it needs stopping before we're at a point of no return and the brown stuff hitting the fan really begins to shower down seriously on everyone!
I posted earlier in the thread
ossie wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 11:57am We have a large military fuel depot close to us , usually fleets of army fuel tankers going in and out. My guess is 'calling in the army ' isn't an astute political move as it demonstrates something hasn't quite gone to plan. That said I've worked with the army during the fire brigade and ambulance strikes and they do a sterling job. I fear however with reductions over the years any assistance with fuel deliveries would be a drop in the ocean.
I'm surprised he's called it but not surprised at the same time if you know what I mean.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I may be a little behind the curve on this,I don't know what you mean.
If the army are called in and they don't have enough staff or vehicles it'll be no more than a gesture,so given they can't make a dent in the problem their involvement would be an own goal for the government and an admission they and their stupid brapexit deal has failed miserably.
W H Auden
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

reohn2 wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 9:39pm Boris Johnson's Brexit is ruining this country,it needs stopping before we're at a point of no return and the brown stuff hitting the fan really begins to shower down seriously on everyone!
I firmly believe we are already starting to see that :x
Sadly,for everyone(even those who voted for and stand by him),the chain of events is in full flow and I don't think anything can stop it.
Does anyone in power want to stop it?The self-destruct button was pushed and everyone seemed to stand by egging the nut-case on.He's now at the point where he believes he and his merry band of psychopaths are untouchable.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

We could be well on the way to that stage.
And yes I firmly believe these madmen and women believe they're,due to their massive majority,untouchable.
W H Auden
ossie

Post by ossie »

reohn2 wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 9:59pm I may be a little behind the curve on this,I don't know what you mean.
If the army are called in and they don't have enough staff or vehicles it'll be no more than a gesture,so given they can't make a dent in the problem their involvement would be an own goal for the government and an admission they and their stupid brapexit deal has failed miserably.
Are you skim reading posts ? I said "it isn't an astute political move as it demonstrates something hasn't quite gone to plan"
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Now yet another development:
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/ ... oogle-maps
Smart move indeed, respect to you, 'Militant Cyclist', whoever you are! (not someone on here is it? Don't give yourself away!) Next target should be the luckless Mr Shapps' home. If anyone knows where that is...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Debs

Post by Debs »

The British Army has about 2000 qualified HGV drivers, and we are short of 100,000

However that's not even 2%, it's doubtful the Army can spare all of them, many will be needed to remain doing Army duty driving.

It will be interesting to see how many come over from the EU to help out with Brexit beleaguered Britain, especially after the Leavesters have been so rude to them.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I still don't think the looney left quite get it - Brexit is working for the truckers, we're now going to get paid a fair days wage for what we do. OK, fair enough, a few migrants to get us to xmas but then they're gone, sort out our pay and conditions and some back pay for the past 20 years. I used to drive wagons, its hard long hours and the pay was destroyed with mass EE migrants who were happy to work for below the minimum.

The Metropolitan Elite / Islington Jet Set / Looney Left have never given a dam about the workers - and that's why you're a million mile off being in power - even that utter clown Boris is a far far better bet if you are a low paid worker.

As for the closed forecourts - don't blame the truckers for this, that's just stupid selfish greed, think about it - 32 million cars in the UK, if the average car now has an extra gallon in the tank to normal - then that's an extra 120,000 ton of fuel or 5,500 tanker loads, the boys could never keep up with that spike in demand at the best of times.

Oh wait - "The Boys" the looney left will now probably head down the gender rabbit hole.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

The last post claims that truckers are underpaid and they are correct. However I suspect the person has done little to effect a change ,but has simply moaned into his cuppa. Truckers have little union representation, and take industrial action rarely. Sadly they are contributing to global warming, and through their work and supine conduct have given tacit approval to the status quo .As is common they opt to blame others rather than face their role in their demise ,hence the unsympathetic comments about their fellow(European) workers. What is a gender rabbit hole-a gay club for for grumpy lorry drivers?
pwa

Post by pwa »

mumbojumbo wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 5:01am The last post claims that truckers are underpaid and they are correct. However I suspect the person has done little to effect a change ,but has simply moaned into his cuppa. Truckers have little union representation, and take industrial action rarely. Sadly they are contributing to global warming, and through their work and supine conduct have given tacit approval to the status quo .As is common they opt to blame others rather than face their role in their demise ,hence the unsympathetic comments about their fellow(European) workers. What is a gender rabbit hole-a gay club for for grumpy lorry drivers?
As for truckers contributing to global warming through their work, they are driving lorries at our behest, so we the consumers are the ones choosing to add to global warming. If you buy a packet of cornflakes you require that they get to the shop for you to pick up. You create the demand. The same applies if you order stuff online for delivery to your front door. You are the one who controls whether stuff moves around. Don't go blaming the workers who do what you want.

Both unions and legislation to protect workers cannot help workers in the way that a simple shortage of labour can. Employers always find ways around new legislation, but they cannot find ways around having to improve what they offer workers when they need to attract and retain them. As we now see all too clearly, there are downsides to labour shortages, but anyone who is genuinely concerned about workers should also recognise the upside. There is a balance to be struck, and ideally we want a situation where employers can fill vacancies with a bit of effort, but not easily. That would keep them on their toes about pay and conditions.

The approach the Government should have taken with visas, which would have been simpler had the pandemic not happened, would have been to start off with plenty of annual work visas, but with a tapering off over five or ten years to bring about a transition. Instead they seem to have adopted a "No visas until a problem arises" approach, which is bound to lead to disruption.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Incidentally, did anyone notice the BBC sending a reporter by the name of Phil McCann to stand outside a petrol station?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

As always, the government blames the public or the drivers. Never admitting that they knew months ago that this would be a problem. Instead, they say “There is no shortage” when there clearly was a shortage in some places on Friday. Only a small number of garages, sure, but a genuine shortage. What on earth did they expect people to do? Most people don’t hoard car fuel. You can’t, really. A small number might have several cars and some might fill a few cans. But most would look to the week or two ahead and worry about that: getting to work, the shops, hospital appointments, doing their daily job.

As always, right through Covid for example, they sit in denial then wake up after the crisis has taken root and then blame everyone else. Happened with schools and exams just the same. Meals for poor children in the holidays.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 27 Sep 2021, 7:54am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Relying on market forces to improve pay is a very poor alternative to minimum wage legislation and a fair benefits system and redistributive taxation.

It will only work as long as shortage of labour exists, and we should have measures that work all of the time.

Jonathan