Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by Jdsk »

NUKe wrote:It is not the few who hoard buy lots that cause shortages, but the many buying a little extra just in case. meanwhile social media spreads the myth that we will run out and everybody buys a little extra then complains about the mythical few.

Is it a myth? I'm expecting severe disruption to production and supply chains from the combination of the outbreak (and our reactions to it) and the end of the transitional arrangements with the EU.

Jonathan

PS: Out today from the IfG: "Preparing Brexit. How ready is the UK?"
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/preparing-brexit-how-ready-uk.pdf
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote:With what we know at the moment it's logical to build up stocks at home while the supply chains are working.

And leaving it till later might deprive others.

Later might have now arrived.

Jonathan
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Out of Europe already :?

I have good stocks of dry goods but very few tins, I think tins were mode in the 1970s when I taught myself to cook at certain Youth Hostels :wink:
One hostel had breakfast choices: one boiled egg or two boiled eggs, a no-brainer I think
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Out of Europe already :?

I have good stocks of dry goods but very few tins, I think tins were mode in the 1970s when I taught myself to cook at certain Youth Hostels :wink:
One hostel had breakfast choices: one boiled egg or two boiled eggs, a no-brainer I think

I stocked up last week on 10 tins of Fray Bentos steak and kidney suet puds and flakey pasty pies. Will probably get a few more next week as I have a voucher worth £6 if I spend over £30. nearly 2 year best before date

One thing I notice my Sainsburys havent had their £1 shaving foam now for the last month ( or maybe it just sells out fast), glad I bought 6 of them 3 months ago.
Last edited by mercalia on 3 Nov 2020, 4:24pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Out of Europe already

I think that's only the EU... but who knows what's planned next.

Jonathan
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Jdsk wrote:

Jonathan

Those "wind turbines" you see all around the coast?

Not turbines at all, propellers.
We're being pushed towards the U.S.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Jdsk wrote:
NUKe wrote:It is not the few who hoard buy lots that cause shortages, but the many buying a little extra just in case. meanwhile social media spreads the myth that we will run out and everybody buys a little extra then complains about the mythical few.

Is it a myth? I'm expecting severe disruption to production and supply chains from the combination of the outbreak (and our reactions to it) and the end of the transitional arrangements with the EU.

Jonathan

PS: Out today from the IfG: "Preparing Brexit. How ready is the UK?"
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/preparing-brexit-how-ready-uk.pdf

I was talking about the current panic not the next one.
NUKe

Post by Jdsk »

kwackers wrote:
Jdsk wrote:

Those "wind turbines" you see all around the coast?

Not turbines at all, propellers.
We're being pushed towards the U.S.

Today: policy... tomorrow: geography? But perhaps not... tomorrow: politics?

: - )

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

mercalia wrote:

I stocked up last week on 10 tins of Fray Bentos steak and kidney suet puds and flakey pasty pies. Will probably get a few more next week as I have a voucher worth £6 if I spend over £30. nearly 2 year best before date

One thing I notice my Sainsburys havent had their £1 shaving foam now for the last month ( or maybe it just sells out fast), glad I bought 6 of them 3 months ago.

Fray Bentos make their stuff in Scotland, don't they? Are you worried Nicola is going to cut off your supply? :lol:

I gave up shaving foam about thirty years ago when I realised a bar of soap does the same job just as well but with a lot less cost and waste. Try it.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I gave up shaving, period, or rather never took it up
I must have saved thou$ands :wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

When we were newly-weds, the first time my mother visited us she brought us a food parcel including a Fray Bentos beef pie. I see they now contain more meat. I've never had another since then so I wouldn't know.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/12871262 ... more-meat/
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:The panic has started at my Streatham Lidl

no baked beans, no rice, no pasta, no rich tea and the cooled meat cabinets 1/2 empty

I'll know things are reallt serious when the booze shelves start to empty :lol:

Lidl here imposed a 4 item max on typical panic buys. All look plentiful still. I guess panickers aren't yet worried enough to queue twice or more!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pwa wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Fray Bentos make their stuff in Scotland, don't they? Are you worried Nicola is going to cut off your supply? :lol:

I gave up shaving foam about thirty years ago when I realised a bar of soap does the same job just as well but with a lot less cost and waste. Try it.

I have in the past and not as good as foam. The gel option is also not very good.

As for the tins I want to try and avoid shopping as much as possible as there are still people not wearing face coverings in my local lidl, they seem totally unabashed. So now into bulk buying items that have long expiry, should have done it before.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Shopping early or late is worth trying, often the shelves are full and there are very few customers, very pleasant
Works in my leafy suburb, not sure about London :?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Shopping early or late is worth trying, often the shelves are full and there are very few customers, very pleasant
Works in my leafy suburb, not sure about London :?

shelves epmpty by then