Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by mercalia »

well well well. went back to my secret lidls and they had strong bread flour in again, not much. so thats me with 13.5 kg now. should last me thru the 2nd lock down if one comes.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Who is panic buying now :)
But they still don't have any yeast :(
No problem though some of our friends go in very early in the morning into Sainsbury's and they put one box out probably to last all day :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Who is panic buying now :)
But they still don't have any yeast :(
No problem though some of our friends go in very early in the morning into Sainsbury's and they put one box out probably to last all day :?

I'm surprised you haven't done a sourdough starter by now.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Well first its Bread Flour back in stock at Streatham Lidl ( all gone today but there were lots), next its DRIED YEAST TONS OF THE STUFF

WP_20200706_15_25_49_Pro.jpg

will be interesting to see how long that lot lasts? any predictions

Is Lidl yeast any good? says ok for bread makers also
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:Well first its Bread Flour back in stock at Streatham Lidl ( all gone today but there were lots), next its DRIED YEAST TONS OF THE STUFF

I've just run out of yeast for the first time this lockdown. I ran it a bit close and the new shop in the next village's pub that has been a consistent supplier since opening had run out - so I hope either the pub shop has got some, or the town Lidl has it too, else it's flatbreads for Wednesday ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Any minute now, the No-deal-Brexit hoarding will start. "In no particular order" Meghan / Maxwell / Grand old Duke of Pork / lockdown will fade a bit and the next circulation booster / social media trend will be shortages of medication ... etc
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

thirdcrank wrote:Any minute now, the No-deal-Brexit hoarding will start. "In no particular order" Meghan / Maxwell / Grand old Duke of Pork / lockdown will fade a bit and the next circulation booster / social media trend will be shortages of medication ... etc

We shall as ever stock up but we don't hoard. Sensible preparation when there is plenty saves panic buying later. As a country cousin in have always kept a good stock of foodstuffs and household items.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Saw a cruise barge on the canal today, first voyage after lockdown, through a window I could see that it had plenty of toilet paper
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

yesterday
yesterday

today
today
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Oldjohnw wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:Any minute now, the No-deal-Brexit hoarding will start. "In no particular order" Meghan / Maxwell / Grand old Duke of Pork / lockdown will fade a bit and the next circulation booster / social media trend will be shortages of medication ... etc

We shall as ever stock up but we don't hoard. Sensible preparation when there is plenty saves panic buying later. As a country cousin in have always kept a good stock of foodstuffs and household items.

Can’t stick up on medication with a tight shelf life and high cost :(
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

No yeast in Lidl Lynn. The sign is back above the shelf but there's only cases of evaporated milk under it.

Pub shop still had no yeast but gave me a kilo of yeast past its best before. It should be ok for a few days, so I'll part-bake loads of rolls and freeze most of them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’ve been hearing something quite funny, from a lot of people I know, of late. Essentially along the lines of “ I’m not panic buying, I just double up on stuff I usually buy, and get a couple of ( insert item they never usually need ) just in case” errrm no, that’s the very definition panic buying :lol:. And something else I’ve heard frequently of late is “I’ve bought a bike / I want to buy a bike on the C2W scheme” when I ask how it is for them I get “oh, I’m not going to ride it now, it’s just in case” ( the sky falls in, presumably ).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:I’ve been hearing something quite funny, from a lot of people I know, of late. Essentially along the lines of “ I’m not panic buying, I just double up on stuff I usually buy, and get a couple of ( insert item they never usually need ) just in case” errrm no, that’s the very definition panic buying :lol:. And something else I’ve heard frequently of late is “I’ve bought a bike / I want to buy a bike on the C2W scheme” when I ask how it is for them I get “oh, I’m not going to ride it now, it’s just in case” ( the sky falls in, presumably ).

well not quite. Like Oldjohnw I keep a stock of things a) in case I am ill b) There are special offers or 30% reductions or theme based offers in Lidl where you only have a limited opportunity to get them. Glad I did as until the last week there hasnt been any bread flour in Lidi since early March.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Government urges post-Brexit drug stockpiles

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53641803
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

thirdcrank wrote:Government urges post-Brexit drug stockpiles

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53641803

What Gvt decides to take a policy which will ensure that the economy is seriously damaged and commerce & the population need to start stockpiling the basic essentials of life? Sounds like a really well thought policy position!