Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Only in trumpland? The Guardian reports that sales of weapons and ammo have increased :?

you can imagine a shoot out over loo paper in Walmart? :oops: :lol:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Only in trumpland? The Guardian reports that sales of weapons and ammo have increased :?

The survivalists are getting ready.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Like someone here we tend to have a large stock of most of the items we need.
We could survive for a month no problem.
Also I've got no problem using my Supply of waste paper which I horde to scribble on Once a supply of loo rolls has run out.
I can always wash or do what I do wild camping is using the grass.
I reckon we could probably survive a bit longer maybe even two months if I rationed it a bit.
I did manage to get some yeast to make my bread from Sainsbury's they had one box left and I nicked it, it's only eight sachets.
I have to go and pick her indoors up later, so I'm going to take a trip to Lidl's again and see what else I can panic buy.
What why this obsession with loo rolls I have no idea.

The thing is we've just started Haven't we.
I mean we are more likely to be overtaken by stuff well out of our control.
I still remember standpipes.

its best to get yeast from Tescos as they stock the small tins of quickyeast made by Allinsons. Is cheap and lasts ages. I am just about finished one of their tins, has lasted maybe 2 years ( when kept in the fridge) And I have never got less than a perfect result.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

rjb wrote:
661-Pete wrote:This thing about toilet rolls is utterly mystifying. But it seems to be happening.

How would it be if households in Britain generally adopted the 'hose' (more accurately, the 'bidet shower') in their toilets? Many people claim that it is more hygienic than any amount of toilet paper, but unfortunately the feature is virtually unknown in Britain except possibly in Muslim families. Has anyone on here got one? We haven't.

In every hotel we stopped in during our trip to Indonesia, a few years ago, there was a bidet shower in the bathroom. But then Indonesia is a majority-Muslim country.

I always thought they were for washing your feet. :oops:

isnt that a steptoe and son sketch?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mercalia wrote:I always thought they were for washing your feet. :oops:

isnt that a steptoe and son sketch?[/quote]

I can't remember that one but I can imagine it.

"You dirty old man."
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Just get one of these it saves a lot of paper work
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mike Sales wrote:
mercalia wrote:
rjb wrote:I always thought they were for washing your feet. :oops:

isnt that a steptoe and son sketch?

I can't remember that one but I can imagine it.

"You dirty old man."

well its not the one where they move to suburbia.

[youtube]2fHz_ugyjXU[/youtube]

well anything for a laugh in these dismall times

or this one to remind the young here of the good olde days before loo paper

[youtube]X1qC7Tlgjf4[/youtube]
Last edited by mercalia on 16 Mar 2020, 10:02pm, edited 6 times in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

In the UK we panic buy toilet paper. In the US it's guns:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... SApp_Other
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mercalia wrote:
its best to get yeast from Tescos as they stock the small tins of quickyeast made by Allinsons. Is cheap and lasts ages. I am just about finished one of their tins, has lasted maybe 2 years ( when kept in the fridge) And I have never got less than a perfect result.

Yeast doesn’t last for ever mind you. Years ago I thought I’d save money and buy a whole box of Doves 125g bags of yeast. Wont be doing that again :)
With NA's 8 sachets I can get around 30 loaves 3/4tsp/ loaf and the yeast is always fresh.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Paulatic wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Yeast doesn’t last for ever mind you. Years ago I thought I’d save money and buy a whole box of Doves 125g bags of yeast. Wont be doing that again :)
With NA's 8 sachets I can get around 30 loaves 3/4tsp/ loaf and the yeast is always fresh.

I never had any luck with Doves even when fresh, so your experience maybe more to so with Doves. I am not sure Doves is the best you can get. I thought that yeast once opened wouldnt keep but it does it seems, the experience with Allinsons in those little tins kept in a fridge is true. I am down to the last 2-3 teaspoonfuls maybe 2 loaves left and still its fine. loaves rise and rise. maybe you should give the allinsons a try, but of course keep it once opened but plastic top on , in a fridge. Its cheap enough
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Anyone else remember this?
Excellent stuff! Mind you, sitting down in the first half hour after a dump, posed a bit of a problem....

I wonder if there's any shop still selling the stuff? I read somewhere that it's still used in prisons.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Anyone seen izol for sale? I bet nobody buys that. If they do it's certainly panic buying!!!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Tangled Metal wrote:Anyone seen izol for sale? I bet nobody buys that. If they do it's certainly panic buying!!!
Izal and Bronco were pretty much the same stuff, just under different branding. I remember them both (somewhat painfully!).
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My grandparents used to get a couple of soft, toilet paper in when we visited. Otherwise it was Izal. I used it once and didn't think it worked that well, irrespective of the uncomfortable aspect.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Izal . . . .. one just has to use it properly . . . i.e. wipe then WASH . . . . .

One roll . . . last for years. Good stuff . . .but wondering if it melts fast enough in the sewers ?