Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by Oldjohnw »

audaxjk wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 9:49pm Good job I stocked up on bicycles over the years. I can salvage parts from the lesser used ones. I’m more convinced than ever - you can never have too many bikes.!
There were no bikes at all on Sainsbury’s shelves.
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 4:38pm
al_yrpal wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 3:35pm Clarkson has done a film series (on Amazon Prime) about his farm in the Cotswolds near where John lives. As usual its full of humour and no doubt annoys the pants of people who dont like him.
I looked at the website out of curiosity: one comment I took especial note of:
"We do not, for example, sell kale."
What's wrong with kale, I ask myself? We love it - provided it's properly cooked (stir-fry for a few minutes, then douse with a little soy sauce and water and simmer to soften it - is a good way). Perhaps it's too 'Islington' for the sort of clientele JC wants to attract.

I presume the farm, and hence the shop, aren't organic. Not condemning it for that (not many farmers can manage organic), but seems to me there's no advantage over the local supermarket.

As to the road miles expended, not by the farm but by its customers, some of them motoring the length of Britain to visit this place. Isn't that sad?! Of course they're not really going for the food: they're hoping to catch a glimpse of old Motormouth himself in person...

The combo of Tesco, Lidl, Waitrose and Riverford works fine for Yours Truly - thanks. We don't have a local Sainsbury's, Morrisons or Asda.
Perhaps he doesn't grow kale. Don't farm shops tend to sell stuff grown on the farm where they're situated? When I was a young kale was grown as a forage crop for animal feed. People didn't eat it.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

pete75 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 11:02am Perhaps he doesn't grow kale. Don't farm shops tend to sell stuff grown on the farm where they're situated? When I was a young kale was grown as a forage crop for animal feed. People didn't eat it.
Depends where you live. If like you live in an area capable of growing many things then a lot of produce might be locally grown. Most farm shops I’ve been in are full of produce from around the world and very little off the farm although they would like you to believe otherwise.
Kail or Kale has long been part of a Scottish diet as it’s a lot easier to grow than many other things. I’ve always some in my veg garden as an almost year around vegetable.
The Kale I’ve grown for sheep over the years shares the same name but I wouldn’t like to share my plate with it.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 11:02am
661-Pete wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 4:38pm I looked at the website out of curiosity: one comment I took especial note of:
"We do not, for example, sell kale."
Perhaps he doesn't grow kale. Don't farm shops tend to sell stuff grown on the farm where they're situated? When I was a young kale was grown as a forage crop for animal feed. People didn't eat it.
Perhaps I should have included the whole paragraph from the DSQ website:
Opened in 2020 by Jeremy Clarkson and Lisa Hogan, the Diddly Squat Farm Shop is a small barn full of good, no-nonsense things you'll like. We do not, for example, sell kale.
I was just wondering what their definition of "no-nonsense" might be - that's all.
Last edited by 661-Pete on 12 Sep 2021, 12:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I thought his comment about kale was part of the persona he has developed: only stupid vegetarians and guardian reading muesli jumper wearing electric car driving half lifers eat that healthy stuff. Me: I just eat steak and drive gas guzzlers.

He also sells candles that smell like his b****cks (his words).
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

If Riverford can't oblige (they sent us some cavolo nero - black kale - last week, but that's more tricky stuff to handle), then our local Tesco's does big bags of kale in season, at a bargain price too. Beware: kale has this in common with spinach - it shrinks a lot on cooking - so if you fancy some, make sure you buy enough...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Was in a certain pub the other day and a regular Kronenbourg drinker was told that the last cask they could get of it was already on and they couldn't get any more as the suppliers are out of it.

Googling, found that the brewery is in Manchester, and a recent strike of delivery drivers left the supply wanting.
The situation will recover since the strike ended.
Heineken, Fosters, John Smiths, Kronenbourg, Amstel and Strongbow are reportedly the worst hit by the strike.
Yes, I know it's a tabloid, but it has some truth in it.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/p ... k-24811460
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 3:57pm Was in a certain pub the other day and a regular Kronenbourg drinker was told that the last cask they could get of it was already on and they couldn't get any more as the suppliers are out of it.

Googling, found that the brewery is in Manchester, and a recent strike of delivery drivers left the supply wanting.
Heineken, Fosters, John Smiths, Kronenbourg, Amstel and Strongbow are reportedly the worst hit by the strike.
Did this strike happen? I can't work out the timing.

That article in the Mirror was on 22 August. But the industrial action was planned for 24 August and 2 September, and was called off after a better offer was made by GXO:
https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Art ... his-summer
https://www.cips.org/supply-management/ ... r-strike-/
https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-even ... ved-offer/

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

A lot of people dont like Kale, the same people often dont like Brussel Sprouts either. Its said that these folk have an unusually high number of taste buds. A close friend who can identify wines with unerring accuracy is certainly one of those people.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 6:25pm A lot of people dont like Kale, the same people often dont like Brussel Sprouts either. Its said that these folk have an unusually high number of taste buds. A close friend who can identify wines with unerring accuracy is certainly one of those people.
There's a genetic explanation for the variation in ability to taste some bitter compounds, including the glucosinolates in kale and its relatives:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAS2R38

With a complex relationship to both "supertasting" and alcohol abuse.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 12 Sep 2021, 7:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Oldjohnw wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 12:57pm only stupid vegetarians and guardian reading muesli jumper wearing electric car driving half lifers eat that healthy stuff
Also that Kale became part of the superfood fad some years back (despite being nutritionally little different to many other cabbage/brassica veg) so it'll be referencing that.

He lays into brexit a fair bit as part of his farming diversion, referring to its voters as 'coffin dodging idiots who screwed it all up'....
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Noah got a full complement of crew today via three 50p bags of plastic figurenes and Matchbox type toy cars picked up at the big car boot.
IMG20210912171724.jpg
Looking at the cars there is upwards of £20 worth. Win win!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
jb

Post by jb »

al_yrpal wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 7:56pm Noah got a full complement of crew today via three 50p bags of plastic figurenes and Matchbox type toy cars picked up at the big car boot.

IMG20210912171724.jpg

Looking at the cars there is upwards of £20 worth. Win win!

Al
He must have stored all the whales in the bottom to stop it capsizing. :lol:
Cheers
J Bro
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Paulatic wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 12:04pm
pete75 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 11:02am Perhaps he doesn't grow kale. Don't farm shops tend to sell stuff grown on the farm where they're situated? When I was a young kale was grown as a forage crop for animal feed. People didn't eat it.
Depends where you live. If like you live in an area capable of growing many things then a lot of produce might be locally grown. Most farm shops I’ve been in are full of produce from around the world and very little off the farm although they would like you to believe otherwise.
Kail or Kale has long been part of a Scottish diet as it’s a lot easier to grow than many other things. I’ve always some in my veg garden as an almost year around vegetable.
The Kale I’ve grown for sheep over the years shares the same name but I wouldn’t like to share my plate with it.
Maybe Mangolds could be made trendy for the sort of folk who've jumped on the kale bandwagon. Persuade them it's a wonderful new veg and there'd be a fortune in it. Yields can be 40 ton an acre.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 4:21pm
Mick F wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 3:57pm Was in a certain pub the other day and a regular Kronenbourg drinker was told that the last cask they could get of it was already on and they couldn't get any more as the suppliers are out of it.

Did this strike happen? I can't work out the timing.

That article in the Mirror was on 22 August. But the industrial action was planned for 24 August and 2 September, and was called off after a better offer was made by GXO:
https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Art ... his-summer
https://www.cips.org/supply-management/ ... r-strike-/
https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-even ... ved-offer/
Looks as if the strike never took place. The only other reports that I can find are rewrites of the same piece.

Which leaves their other explanations:
"And are (sic) shortage of drivers as a result of Brexit and the pandemic has only added to the problem."

Jonathan