Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by 661-Pete »

Psamathe wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 11:37am I was totally unaware that the EU had been restricting the number of HGV driver tests we could do in the UK. I look forward to a decent reporter asking him about that (except I doubt he'll be appearing on any TV/radio interviews where such questions would be asked.
Let's just hope that report is in the same pigeonhole as the 'straight banana' and 'straight cucumber' directives...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Now it's shortage of turkeys for Xmas, so it seems... well, strictly speaking, not just now, that meme's been going for some time.

Which gives me an idea: if turkeys really want to vote for Xmas, this is the year to do it!

Yes I know the poor birds'll probably have to be culled anyway. But it won't be for Xmas...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There's a shortage of ........................ vinegar! :shock:

Mrs Mick F makes loads of chutneys and pickles. She's famous for it locally.
Jams and marmalades too of course.

Went down to Tamar View Fruiterers this morning at Carkeel (just outside Saltash).
https://tamarfresh.co.uk
Been going there for over 30years.

She wanted a 5ltr bottle of vinegar and they had none at all.
She asked the manager - who we know very well - and he said the suppliers have none, so he can't get it and no idea when he can.

Sadly, found some on eBay and ordered a couple.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234099848025 ... %3A2334524
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Major chilled food distributer EVCL Chill (Better known as NFT) has gone into administration. The main warehouse is a few miles from me, I nearly took a job there a few years ago. I don't think the driver shortage was their only issue, though it may have been the final straw.
https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/l ... es-5970639
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 4:24pm There's a shortage of ........................ vinegar! :shock:

Mrs Mick F makes loads of chutneys and pickles. She's famous for it locally.
Jams and marmalades too of course.

Went down to Tamar View Fruiterers this morning at Carkeel (just outside Saltash).
https://tamarfresh.co.uk
Been going there for over 30years.

She wanted a 5ltr bottle of vinegar and they had none at all.
She asked the manager - who we know very well - and he said the suppliers have none, so he can't get it and no idea when he can.

Sadly, found some on eBay and ordered a couple.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234099848025 ... %3A2334524
Why is it sad?
I understand you'd prefer to buy locally but your local supplier could also order from ebay as a temporary measure for his customers.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We chatted about this, but they wouldn't have any profit.
They know as well as we know, that people can shop online if they can't get it locally ......... and many people don't bother with shopping locally and just use eBay or (God forbid) Amazon and online supermarkets.

We've been going there for (guessing it's over) 30years and know the staff and the owner, his sons, and his grandchildren.
Mick F. Cornwall
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Forward planning is a form of hoarding .I would impose rationing and make customers put their requests in writing. Given the prevalence of indolence illiteracy this would halve the queues .I would refuse to sell to fast-food delivery services, and to lorries delivering to MacDs and KFC.etc.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 10:37am
  • 1 Increase size of British Army to 500,000 or more

2 Recruit mercenary troops to fill vacancies

3 Form non-combatant corps to deal with logistics, nursing etc

4 Military could then be called out to solve everything
This was a joke!

"Boris Johnson to consider using army to supply petrol stations"
"Ministers to discuss emergency plan Operation Escalin after BP reveals a third of its forecourts have shortages"

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... l-stations

This isn't.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 8:36pm
thirdcrank wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 10:37am
  • 1 Increase size of British Army to 500,000 or more

2 Recruit mercenary troops to fill vacancies

3 Form non-combatant corps to deal with logistics, nursing etc

4 Military could then be called out to solve everything
This was a joke!

"Boris Johnson to consider using army to supply petrol stations"
"Ministers to discuss emergency plan Operation Escalin after BP reveals a third of its forecourts have shortages"

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... l-stations

This isn't.

Jonathan
It would serve us all right if the army refused on the grounds of it not being their job.

I know it won't happen but I'd like to think it could.
If the country ground to a halt it just might break this aweful and digusting government and bring it and the tory party to their knees.
Perhaps then we might see some real change,nothing short of revolution will IMHO.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 6:18pm We chatted about this, but they wouldn't have any profit.
It could be sold without profit temporarily until delivery resumes
They know as well as we know, that people can shop online if they can't get it locally ......... and many people don't bother with shopping locally and just use eBay or (God forbid) Amazon and online supermarkets..
So if your local trademan who you do business with charged a little more than ebay/amazon then why not buy from him?
ATM by him not supplying at all he risks loosing all further trade in that particular item.
W H Auden
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

How do we have a shortage of Tanker drivers all of a sudden?
Any old HGV driver can't drive a Tanker.They have to have an ADR certification(renewed every 5 years).Why has there been no mention of Tanker driver shortages until the last few days?
A cynic might say that it's a cover-up for something more sinister!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Seems the petrol supply crisis is nothing to do with driver shortage but is:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/grant-shapps-fuel-crisis-drivers-b1927265.html wrote:Anger as Grant Shapps claims hauliers have ‘created’ the fuel shortage crisis
Grant Shapps has sparked an angry row after claiming hauliers have “created” the fuel shortage crisis, despite the government admitting to a lack of lorry drivers.

The transport secretary was accused of a “disgraceful attack” and of “shamefully passing the buck” for the queues at filling station forecourts, as the worsening situation threatened to engulf the government.
So looking like the only people not to blame are our Conservative Gov.! They really are trying to divert attention from the fact that they have been warned about this again and agai and ignored it, failed to plan and suddenly they are desperate to deflect blame - which in itself shows what a bunch of incompetents they are.

Ian
ossie

Post by ossie »

reohn2 wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 9:05pm
It would serve us all right if the army refused on the grounds of it not being their job.
Fuelling stuff is their job. They have the drivers and the tankers...just not enough for this task. As they did in the ambulance and fire brigade strikes most would jump at the chance to help out.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 9:23pm Seems the petrol supply crisis is nothing to do with driver shortage but is:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/grant-shapps-fuel-crisis-drivers-b1927265.html wrote:Anger as Grant Shapps claims hauliers have ‘created’ the fuel shortage crisis
Grant Shapps has sparked an angry row after claiming hauliers have “created” the fuel shortage crisis, despite the government admitting to a lack of lorry drivers.

The transport secretary was accused of a “disgraceful attack” and of “shamefully passing the buck” for the queues at filling station forecourts, as the worsening situation threatened to engulf the government.
So looking like the only people not to blame are our Conservative Gov.! They really are trying to divert attention from the fact that they have been warned about this again and agai and ignored it, failed to plan and suddenly they are desperate to deflect blame - which in itself shows what a bunch of incompetents they are.

Ian
Smart move Mr Shapps...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ossie wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 9:28pm
reohn2 wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 9:05pm
Fuelling stuff is their job. They have the drivers and the tankers...just not enough for this task. As they did in the ambulance and fire brigade strikes most would jump at the chance to help out.
Yes I understand all that.
My point is that this government needs showning up for the inept and totally out of their depth sham it is.
People need to see that for things to change for the better,not being able to move around conveniently as we wish is a big step in illustrating just how inept and stupid the sham,err sorry,government is,up to now we've only been very mildly inconvenienced,having no personal transport for most people is like turning off their oxygen!

Boris Johnson's Brexit is ruining this country,it needs stopping before we're at a point of no return and the brown stuff hitting the fan really begins to shower down seriously on everyone!
W H Auden