Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Shopping early or late is worth trying, often the shelves are full and there are very few customers, very pleasant
Works in my leafy suburb, not sure about London :?

That is a good tactic in Wales too. Shelves are replenished overnight so the best time, if you are an early riser (I am) is about 6.30 if your supermarket is open at that time. Full shelves and few customers. I did a week's worth of shopping at our usual supermarket yesterday afternoon and absolutely nothing seemed to be in short supply. But if we see Fray Bentos pies becoming scarce we will know who to blame :wink:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Shopping early or late is worth trying, often the shelves are full and there are very few customers, very pleasant
Works in my leafy suburb, not sure about London :?

That is a good tactic in Wales too. Shelves are replenished overnight so the best time, if you are an early riser (I am) is about 6.30 if your supermarket is open at that time. Full shelves and few customers. I did a week's worth of shopping at our usual supermarket yesterday afternoon and absolutely nothing seemed to be in short supply. But if we see Fray Bentos pies becoming scarce we will know who to blame :wink:

I like the suet ones - they can now be microwaved no need to boil in a saucepan
rjb

Post by rjb »

thirdcrank wrote:When we were newly-weds, the first time my mother visited us she brought us a food parcel including a Fray Bentos beef pie. I see they now contain more meat. I've never had another since then so I wouldn't know.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/12871262 ... more-meat/

Dont bin your empties, recycle them !!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick F wrote:
I've produced a better and more complete set of instructions.
Fray Bentos pudding tin as a Special Tool. :D

At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rjb

Post by rjb »

Christmas rush is starting early this year. :shock:
Tesco and Ocado already overwhelmed by the online panic buying for Xmas.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54894779
Was in tesco this morning, they are installing traffic lights to manage the expected rush, green means go, red means rush in before its all gone. :lol:
https://www.mylondon.news/whats-on/shop ... w-19199147
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Of course, Black Friday that crazy American festival of wasting money, see you there :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well due to the covid+ strain and the isolation of the UK I bet there will be another supermarket rush.

One road haulage boss told the BBC that while lorries are still allowed from France to the UK, he feared that many European drivers would be unwilling to make the trip fearing they could not get home for Christmas – meaning British supermarket shelves could empty.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Without a doubt
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Bonefishblues wrote:Without a doubt

I imagine it started about 5.00am today.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Without a doubt

I imagine it started about 5.00am today.

Just a tiny part of me wonders if our good friends across the Channel mightn't have also subliminally been sending a message to us. There's precious little need to stop freight.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

AFAIK containers are still able to come via Felixstowe.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote:AFAIK containers are still able to come via Felixstowe.

I was referencing the French in particular - 10,000 lorries a day to-fro via Dover I heard this morning
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

10 000 a DAY? With 20 tonnes typical load, 200 000 tonnes a day
Dunno if that is plausible :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It is 10,000 trucks a day.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We've just been to Morley Asda. Busier than a usual for a grey, rainy Monday morning but not much.

On the way home for some reason which escapes me we went to Birstall M&S and there was not just an ordinary queue but a Marks and Spencer queue stretching right round their car park. For those unfamiliar with this branch it's a small one. Probably all those people who think that supplies of crème fraîche, pain au chocolat, and sauce tartare are about to fail.
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

I would have thought that even fresh produce aimed at Christmas would have arrived in the UK days ago.