Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
colin54

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by colin54 »

al_yrpal wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 7:56pm Matchbox type toy cars ...

Al
I can't see them, is there a vehicle deck, is it a Roll-On, Roll-Off Ark ?
Nu-Fogey
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Loads of empty shelves in Waitrose this morning, fortunately not fresh foods.
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 10:51am But it does highlight the difficulty with home delivery. Visiting the store I can see e.g. no cauliflower so I can buy leaks instead (adequate quantity) but home delivery does substitution but they can often do daft substitution that does not provide a meal e.g. no whole cauliflower so substituted with broccoli hardly enough quantity for one person! - you can't blame the staff as they are trying just they can't make the decisions you'd make (number of people, etc.).
And they're probably short of broccoli too, so trying to spin it out for as many home delivery clients as possible.

There are just too many pressures against home delivery. As well as unsuitable substitutions and late-announced non-availability, there are time-consuming clunky online ordering systems, minimum order quantities, the usual tired/old supermarket fresh produce and this week a new one on me: being sent personalised special offers if I go back to shopping in a particular store! I'm getting 20% off my next shop at a particular branch of Sainsbury's which I stopped using (at all — delivery too) because they were consistently empty of flour. I wonder if they've fixed that or if this will be a one-off visit.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Oldjohnw wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 12:36pm Loads of empty shelves in Waitrose this morning, fortunately not fresh foods.
Oh darling!

Not panic buying or hoarding I'll bet...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Loads of full shelves in Morley ASDA this morning - including loads of bread flour
Debs

Post by Debs »

This Toxic-Tory Brexit Government only have lies on offer, they're completely out of stock on truth.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

thirdcrank wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 1:59pm Loads of full shelves in Morley ASDA this morning - including loads of bread flour
I go into a local Co-op which seems to have apologies signs for things which aren't missing yet. So there can be a sign apologising for lack of bread or crisps when all items are there, not just stacked to the gunnels.

Which is especially odd for bread because going into the Co-op at 6pm and trying to buy anything except a brioche, a pack of part-baked rolls and three raisin croissants has always been a challenge.... they never had apologies signs up then....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 3:57pm Was in a certain pub the other day and a regular Kronenbourg drinker was told that the last cask they could get of it was already on and they couldn't get any more as the suppliers are out of it.

Googling, found that the brewery is in Manchester, and a recent strike of delivery drivers left the supply wanting.
The situation will recover since the strike ended.
Heineken, Fosters, John Smiths, Kronenbourg, Amstel and Strongbow are reportedly the worst hit by the strike.
Yes, I know it's a tabloid, but it has some truth in it.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/p ... k-24811460
I reported on another thread that my S in L an HGV driver was telling me his union was gping to to strike unless there were some serious pay rises PDQ.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Debs wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 2:20pm This Toxic-Tory Brexit Government only have lies on offer, they're completely out of stock on truth.
Spot on!
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Quite a few empty shelves in Lidl this afternoon and very low on fruit and veg.
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 1:56pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 12:36pm Loads of empty shelves in Waitrose this morning, fortunately not fresh foods.
Oh darling!

Not panic buying or hoarding I'll bet...

Al
First time I have ever shopped in Waitrose except once a term in Egham when I took my daughter back to Uni. Never been inside a store otherwise until today. I was pleasantly surprised and pleased to note that the mockery is largely misplaced.
John
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I used to shop regularly in Waitrose. I didn't buy everything there. But they had some things that were difficult to find elsewhere, better produce than many other shops, a good deli, a little cafe, and good cycle parking.

Some of the closer & less expensive shops didn't have any cycle parking whatsoever, and most of the ones that did seemed to think that the cycle stands were more use for trolley parking.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Vorpal wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 10:55am I used to shop regularly in Waitrose. I didn't buy everything there.
Good decision; that would have been hoarding.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mattheus wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 11:51am
Vorpal wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 10:55am I used to shop regularly in Waitrose. I didn't buy everything there.
Good decision; that would have been hoarding.
: - )

Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

The fruit and veg has been very poor locally the last couple of weeks.We've tried Asda,Tesco,Morrisons,Lidl and Aldi and the quality is not up to their usual standards.
It's almost as if they are leaving it out just so it looks like they have a good stock range :|