Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by Oldjohnw »

Today I visited another shop I had never previously been to : B and M. A number of empty shelves, but maybe that is normal.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Oldjohnw wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 12:12pm Today I visited another shop I had never previously been to : B and M. A number of empty shelves, but maybe that is normal.
Yes, apparently there is a shortage of lorry drivers but no shortage of produce and goods in the warehouses. Its thought that the problem is partially due to EU drivers leaving the UK due to Brexit. Lots of people are trying to get HGV licences to fill the vacancies but theres a logjam at the test centres.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 12:41pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 12:12pm Today I visited another shop I had never previously been to : B and M. A number of empty shelves, but maybe that is normal.
Yes, apparently there is a shortage of lorry drivers but no shortage of produce and goods in the warehouses. Its thought that the problem is partially due to EU drivers leaving the UK due to Brexit. Lots of people are trying to get HGV licences to fill the vacancies but theres a logjam at the test centres.
It isn't only the drivers leaving, it's also them not being permitted to return and work.

And the number of drivers joining and leaving mean that this can't be solved quickly by the current interventions, including abbreviated testing and extended hours of driving.
viewtopic.php?p=1634334#p1634334

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you are only now finding some of the retail delights of urban life, I'd recommend a shuftie in TKmaxx if you have one handy. Everything is what somebody else couldn't sell so massive reductions are quoted, which are meaningless as they are based on the original price which nobody was prepared to pay. The shelves and other displays are never empty, but they may only be full of stuff you don't want. Great bargains if you land on what you do want, not necessarily a bargain if you buy something just because it's too cheap to miss
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 9:57pm Maybe Mangolds could be made trendy for the sort of folk who've jumped on the kale bandwagon. Persuade them it's a wonderful new veg and there'd be a fortune in it. Yields can be 40 ton an acre.
Never (knowingly) eaten mangold (aka mangelwurzel or field beet: I believe Worzel Gummidge derives his name from it) - but according to Wiki the root is palatable to humans if harvested young. The leaves are also edible. Someday I'll have to give it a try. One of our regular walks takes us past a farm growing literally tons of the stuff - evidently as livestock feed. I've sometimes been tempted to scrump the odd root - but maybe better leave it for the cows.... :?

Plenty of other root veg may seem unappetising at first glance - especially tropical varieties like yam, cassava, taro - but they can be very tasty if properly prepared. I remember once sampling a bowl of callaloo (made from taro leaves) and finding it delicious. Not easy to come by here!

Nearer home, we find the swede (aka turnip in the North, and 'neeps' in Scotland) a very useful root veg: we often have it. I used to hate it when it was served up at school dinners - heavily salted, mashed, and boiled to oblivion. No need to explain why I've changed my opinion!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

As well as Brexit not enabling EU lorry drivers to return to the UK no doubt many dont want to return here during the pandemic. That was certainly true of many Bulgarians and Romanians that worked in our local meat processing plants according to the charity that worked with them.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:27pm As well as Brexit not enabling EU lorry drivers to return to the UK no doubt many dont want to return here during the pandemic. That was certainly true of many Bulgarians and Romanians that worked in our local meat processing plants according to the charity that worked with them.
That may well be the case.

But it wouldn't matter whether they want to return or not as they aren't allowed to by the UK government.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I expect different parts of the country have - or used to have - different names for veg.

I think of turnips and swede as being similar but different. According to wiki turnip = Brassica rapa rapa, while swede = Brassica napobrassica

In food terms, the latter is a nice vegetable when cooked, the former is ok-ish and before the widespread availability of pumpkins was used for making lanterns n bonfire night
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

al_yrpal wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:27pm As well as Brexit not enabling EU lorry drivers to return to the UK no doubt many dont want to return here during the pandemic. That was certainly true of many Bulgarians and Romanians that worked in our local meat processing plants according to the charity that worked with them.
Al
I'm sure you'll be able to provide a link to a source that backs up this claim?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:29pm
That may well be the case.

But it wouldn't matter whether they want to return or not as they aren't allowed to by the UK government.

Jonathan
I wonder how many applied for and were refused residency permits? I saw lots of social media posts by people from various backgrounds who had visa or residency permit applications rejected. Of course, we cannot know all of the reasoning behind them, but many seemed to be model immigrants; working, paying taxes, in relationships with British citizens, etc. How many points is 'lorry driver' worth? Or 'meat packer'? My guess is not very much. (edited to add that lorry driver & meat processor are specifically excluded from sponsorship as skilled trades)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Swede and Turnip are completely different!

When we lived in Scotland, they had a dish called Neeps and Tatties ............. but it was swede, not turnip (neeps).

Turnip is small - maybe 2" diameter. Peeled, the flesh is white and aromatic. The skin is white with purple-ish tints.
Swede is big - maybe 6" diameter or even more. Peeled, the flesh is pale yellow and sweet. The skin is dark reddy-green.

As for lorry drivers, haven't we done this to death?
There were 60ood thousand short back in 2019. The vast shortage is Europe-wide even now, and has been for years and years.

The rot set in ten years ago.

Nowt to do with Brexit or Covid .......... but they haven't helped of course.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Hellhound wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:42pm
Al
I'm sure you'll be able to provide a link to a source that backs up this claim?
No, the charity is run by folk from my family that have been doing projects in Eastern Europe for the past 20 years. A lot of them registered to be remain before they went home, others didnt.

Al
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:51pmNowt to do with Brexit or Covid .......... but they haven't helped of course.
It's a lot to do with both, as everyone involved in the business has repeatedly said.

But if "they haven't helped" have they harmed?

Thanks

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

You cant make a decent pasty without swede! :D Went to Morrisons last time I made a batch, no swedes! But, they did stock chopped frozen swede so I used that.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 14 Sep 2021, 1:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:51pmWhen we lived in Scotland, they had a dish called Neeps and Tatties ............. but it was swede, not turnip (neeps).

Turnip is small - maybe 2" diameter. Peeled, the flesh is white and aromatic. The skin is white with purple-ish tints.
Swede is big - maybe 6" diameter or even more. Peeled, the flesh is pale yellow and sweet. The skin is dark reddy-green.
"A neep or tumshie is the ruit crap brassica rapa var. rapa that's aft growen in maumie climates athort the warld for its white, bulbous tapruit. Smaw, neshy kynds is growen for human consumption, while lairger kynds is growen as feed for stock. Neeps is weel-likit in Europe, parteecular in caulder airts, sith they growe weel in cauld climates an can be keepit for mony months efter the hairst."
https://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neep

Jonathan