Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:51pm Swede and Turnip are completely different!

When we lived in Scotland, they had a dish called Neeps and Tatties ............. but it was swede, not turnip (neeps).
Didn't you live in Yorkshire or Lancashire at some time? When I lived in Bradford (admittedly this was 50 years ago) I distinctly remember that local folk called the larger, yellow-fleshed variety a 'turnip' rather than a 'swede'. The smaller, white-fleshed version wasn't around so much, as far as I recall back then.

Of course we know the difference, and enjoy both kinds! Here in the SE, swedes are often cheaper, weight-for-weight, than white or purple turnips, and have a good flavour if they're fresh (the ones served up for 1950s school dinners probably weren't....)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

No shortage of swedes in my garden. First year I’ve ever had to irrigate them it’s been so dry.
Ate the first one a couple of days ago quite a pale flesh.
Attachments
898BB022-0DD7-4023-9E24-DEFF018F91F5.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

thirdcrank wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:41pm I expect different parts of the country have - or used to have - different names for veg.

I think of turnips and swede as being similar but different. According to wiki turnip = Brassica rapa rapa, while swede = Brassica napobrassica

In food terms, the latter is a nice vegetable when cooked, the former is ok-ish and before the widespread availability of pumpkins was used for making lanterns n bonfire night
Up north what southerners called a swede was called a turnip (or a bagie). The name ‘swede’ referred to long legged willowy blondes from Scandinavia.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 14 Sep 2021, 3:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

al_yrpal wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:53pm
Hellhound wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:42pm
al_yrpal wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:27pm As well as Brexit not enabling EU lorry drivers to return to the UK no doubt many dont want to return here during the pandemic. That was certainly true of many Bulgarians and Romanians that worked in our local meat processing plants according to the charity that worked with them.
Al
I'm sure you'll be able to provide a link to a source that backs up this claim?
No, the charity is run by folk from my family that have been doing projects in Eastern Europe for the past 20 years. A lot of them registered to be remain before they went home, others didnt.
Al
So it is in fact just your opinion then?
You rarely seem to back up your facts with any credible evidence!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thirdcrank wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 12:54pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 12:12pm Today I visited another shop I had never previously been to : B and M. A number of empty shelves, but maybe that is normal.
If you are only now finding some of the retail delights of urban life, I'd recommend a shuftie in TKmaxx if you have one handy. Everything is what somebody else couldn't sell so massive reductions are quoted, which are meaningless as they are based on the original price which nobody was prepared to pay. The shelves and other displays are never empty, but they may only be full of stuff you don't want. Great bargains if you land on what you do want, not necessarily a bargain if you buy something just because it's too cheap to miss
Not a particular issue, but an increasing amount of their stock is made specifically for them, which isn't a message they're keen to promote :D
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Bonefishblues wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 3:18pm
thirdcrank wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 12:54pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 12:12pm Today I visited another shop I had never previously been to : B and M. A number of empty shelves, but maybe that is normal.
If you are only now finding some of the retail delights of urban life, I'd recommend a shuftie in TKmaxx if you have one handy. Everything is what somebody else couldn't sell so massive reductions are quoted, which are meaningless as they are based on the original price which nobody was prepared to pay. The shelves and other displays are never empty, but they may only be full of stuff you don't want. Great bargains if you land on what you do want, not necessarily a bargain if you buy something just because it's too cheap to miss
Not a particular issue, but an increasing amount of their stock is made specifically for them, which isn't a message they're keen to promote :D
There was an exposé type program on C4 a couple of years ago revealing that much of TKmaxx's 'designer'clothing is actually their own brand and the 'discounts' are a con as they've never been on sale anywhere at full 'RRP' :|
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Hellhound wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 2:58pm
al_yrpal wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:53pm
Hellhound wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:42pm
I'm sure you'll be able to provide a link to a source that backs up this claim?
No, the charity is run by folk from my family that have been doing projects in Eastern Europe for the past 20 years. A lot of them registered to be remain before they went home, others didnt.
Al
No its what they say. Its a Christian charity, they are the chief execs and I have no reason to disbelieve them. Evidence is not needed. If you want it get out there and find it. Its pretty obvious really. Far from home when your family may become ill or die you go back to be there.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 5:06pm
Hellhound wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 2:58pm
al_yrpal wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:53pm No, the charity is run by folk from my family that have been doing projects in Eastern Europe for the past 20 years. A lot of them registered to be remain before they went home, others didnt.
No its what they say. Its a Christian charity, they are the chief execs and I have no reason to disbelieve them. Evidence is not needed. If you want it get out there and find it. Its pretty obvious really. Far from home when your family may become ill or die you go back to be there.
On the last sentence: definitely.

But now they're simply not allowed to come here and work in the same way. Because of the UK's decisions.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 5:06pm ....... Evidence is not needed......

Al
The evidence(which is needed),is that we had people come here from other parts of the EU to fill jobs that UK people didn't want or couldn't do,now because of the biggest blunder of a hard brexit* they can't come here to work.
As a result the UK presently is up the smelly creek sans paddle!
https://youtu.be/uuUaqyv7PqY

*There were/is many forms of Brexit but the unbelievable incompetence of the UK government chose the worst possible brexit available because they are incompetent,other than rifling the till and filling their own pockets!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 2:00pm
Mick F wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:51pm Swede and Turnip are completely different!

When we lived in Scotland, they had a dish called Neeps and Tatties ............. but it was swede, not turnip (neeps).
Didn't you live in Yorkshire or Lancashire at some time? When I lived in Bradford (admittedly this was 50 years ago) I distinctly remember that local folk called the larger, yellow-fleshed variety a 'turnip' rather than a 'swede'.
A tabloid newspaper used to refer to then England football manager Graham Taylor as "Graham Turnip" but the mashed-up image clearly showed him as the dark purple top of a swede, not the green-edged lighter purple of a turnip:

In the midlands, where we didn't know that some people call their veg by the wrong names, we thought this was a bit odd.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
reohn2 wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 5:50pm
Debs wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 2:20pm This Toxic-Tory Brexit Government only have lies on offer, they're completely out of stock on truth.
Spot on!
I really missed that saying :lol: :lol:

Nail on head :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Well I previously posted a photo of no less that five cruise ships in torbay.....................

Today there is one..............and two container ships.................perfect summer day and no storms..... :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
rjb

Post by rjb »

If turnips are in short supply you can enter the spoof turner award for a chance of winning one.
https://www.chardandilminsternews.co.uk ... -revealed/
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

I suppose the hoarders will be stockpiling novelty Christmas lights and Advent calendars next?

The mischievous side of me is tempted to generate a rush on Honey Coated Almonds and Pickled Walnuts (does such a thing exist?) by posting on Faceache that I have just seen someone take the last 2 jars from my local supermarket. :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Anyone remember Mr Turnip?
Puppet character of the 50's.

He ain't a swede, he's a turnip!
Swedes don't have a little top like that.
unnamed.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall