Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:29pm
al_yrpal wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:27pm As well as Brexit not enabling EU lorry drivers to return to the UK no doubt many dont want to return here during the pandemic. That was certainly true of many Bulgarians and Romanians that worked in our local meat processing plants according to the charity that worked with them.
That may well be the case.

But it wouldn't matter whether they want to return or not as they aren't allowed to by the UK government.

Jonathan
It isn't black and white.
There's nearly 6 million EU citizens who have had their registration for the EU Settlement Scheme accepted, settled or pre-settled status, of which around 3.5 million are presently in the UK. They don't have to have been in the UK when they applied, they don't have to remain in the UK once it's been accepted, I think it remains valid for five years outside the UK.
The reason/s those 2.5 million who could work in the UK are not, isn't known. I'd be surprised if the pandemic hadn't played a part for some, it's played a part in just about every aspect of our lives it'd be surprising if it hadn't in this.
This shouldn't be controversial, it doesn't account for the labour shortage, it is a contributory factor. A large proportion of economic migrants have always been transitory. They're unlikely to have qualified under the EU Settlement Scheme even had they wanted to and of course that isn't an option for any new influx.
Those clamouring for proof, could just have googled, this was pretty much the first hit
https://blog.ons.gov.uk/2021/07/02/are- ... in-the-uk/
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"UK fruit and vegetable growers are cutting their planting for 2022 after unprecedented labour shortages led to widespread wastage of produce, with hundreds of tonnes of crops from broccoli to raspberries left to rot in the fields.

"Farmers say a pilot visa scheme introduced to admit seasonal workers after Brexit has not been sufficient, while broader labour shortages have resulted in pickers with the right to work in the UK being lured away to other sectors.

"Now growers are planning smaller harvests for next year, expecting that the balance will be made up by imports. “Many of these businesses have expanded over the years — we are now talking about a potential contraction,” said Tom Bradshaw, vice-president of the National Farmers’ Union."

https://forbesalert.com/news/world/uk/b ... ead-waste/

Jonathan
Debs

Post by Debs »

Mick F wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 3:29pm Anyone remember Mr Turnip?
Puppet character of the 50's.
One day Mr Turnip's life changed dramatically after he got ran over by a big truck while crossing a busy road.
He didn't die of his injuries, but he remained a cabbage for the rest of his life.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This should be in "What has made me laugh today!"
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I see BP are introducing rationing.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

So much of this is self-fulfilling. For anybody with a pile of stuff to shift, get the message out that it's in short supply
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 6:00pm I see BP are introducing rationing.
I think with BP it is an anticipated problem as they are already not able to get delivering through because of a lack of lorries. The announcement will make it worse.
John
RickH

Post by RickH »

I pulled into a Shell fuel station earlier as I was passing & we were getting lowish on fuel. No diesel there, for whatever reason, & it looked like most of the petrol pumps were out of action too (although I didn't look too closely as I was after diesel). I didn't pass any other fuel stations, of any brand, on my journey so don't know if it was just a one off or not.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

RickH wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 6:34pm
I pulled into a Shell fuel station earlier as I was passing & we were getting lowish on fuel. No diesel there, for whatever reason, & it looked like most of the petrol pumps were out of action too (although I didn't look too closely as I was after diesel). I didn't pass any other fuel stations, of any brand, on my journey so don't know if it was just a one off or not.
It's reported to be mostly in the south-east of England, and affecting "tens" of retail outlets.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Lack of lorry drivers?

It's Europe-wide, and has been an issue since the mid 2000's. Getting worse now.

Ok, train and get an HGV license and see what job you can get.
Drive a petrol tanker?
Drive an Eddie Stobart truck?

Don't make me laugh.

You'll be driving skip lorries or working for the local council recycling people until you get some "experience".
Try it, and prove me wrong.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 7:07pm Lack of lorry drivers?

It's Europe-wide, and has been an issue since the mid 2000's. Getting worse now.

Ok, train and get an HGV license and see what job you can get.
Drive a petrol tanker?
Drive an Eddie Stobart truck?

Don't make me laugh.

You'll be driving skip lorries or working for the local council recycling people until you get some "experience".
Try it, and prove me wrong.
There are many causes. The problems have been known for some time.

That's history. The question is who should do what now. As previously posted increased recruitment can't make a major difference for a couple of years. Should we just live with it?

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 23 Sep 2021, 7:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It's Europe-wide...
Is there any evidence that it's equally serious everywhere in Europe, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

I'm just frustrated right now that I can't get parsley at my local Spar to put in the soup. Suppose it could get worse, though.
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 7:11pm

It's Europe-wide...
Is there any evidence that it's equally serious everywhere in Europe, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
Equally? How would anyone know, there's no consensus of how many the UK is short of, so how is anyone going to do a comparison?
For evidence that Europe is suffering a driver shortage and that it's getting worse, just Google.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 7:19pmFor evidence that Europe is suffering a driver shortage and that it's getting worse, just Google.
The importance of the shortage of HGV drivers in the UK is that we can't deliver things such as food, vaccines, sewage treatment chemicals, and vehicle fuel. A knock-on effect is that we can't empty bins. Which other European countries are experiencing the same, please?

Thanks

Jonathan