Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 3:16pm People don't know they're born these days.
I was born during rationing .......... and before ITV came along. :D
I was too but I can't remember it :roll:
Even in the early 70s we had petrol coupons - though never needed - but there was petrol rationing and long long queues.
My cars in those days would hold six or seven gallons only. Later years, we had a car that had a tank to hold a massive ten gallons
My sole powered means of transport and fun from 1968 until I had a car in '74 was a motorcycle and I can't every remember needing coupons or there being any queues for fuel.
Cars are too big, too powerful, hold too much fuel ........................ and too ubiquitous.
Some are,granted,but that was always the case,it's just that fewer people could afford a big car back then,though in the street of a hundred terraced houses where I lived there were a '59 Ford Consul and a '61 Vauxhall Cresta,I had Mk1 Cortina estate and Platt Bridge a coal mining village wasn't exactly Kensington..
As far as I'm concerned, the situation is a good one
Not if you're a healthcare professional,Doctor,self employed plumber,joiner,builder,electrician,etc,etc it isn't.

Yes, look after the emergency services and the health workers, but Joe Public should get on the bus or the train or cycle to work
Think about this Mick if you were working now how would you go one in the present situation and lets say you weren't used to cycling but had 20mile round trip to work?
Buses,and trains* both need fuel,that's if there are any bus routes or train stations nearby :?
If they can't, they should revolt and sack all the politicians and get some common sense running the country.
Problem is,common sense isn't as common as people think,after all Boris Johnson got into power with huge majority and look how it all turned out,not much common sense there was there?

It's as I posted before MickF world isn't real world!

*OK some trains are electric but they're in the minority in the backward country that is the UK.
Last edited by reohn2 on 28 Sep 2021, 4:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 1:53pm The Brexit that the Tories sorted isn't the Brexit some of us wanted.
Well, that's just tough, mate. You voted for it, your side were gifted it (by a combo of lies and xenophobia), you lump it. Didn't you hear that proverb about not "looking a gift horse in the mouth"?

Which reminds me - have there been any reports of people turning to horse-and-cart - or even horseback? If they can't ride a bike....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 4:37pm
Mick F wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 1:53pm The Brexit that the Tories sorted isn't the Brexit some of us wanted.
Well, that's just tough, mate. You voted for it, your side were gifted it (by a combo of lies and xenophobia), you lump it. Didn't you hear that proverb about not "looking a gift horse in the mouth"?
It's a shame for Brexit supporters NOT!
It's all the other sensible people who voted to remain my heart goes out to.
As for the supporters of brexit and Tory wannaby voters,suck it up boys and girls,this is what you got when you are silly enough to believe the lies of shysters and snake oil salesmen!

Now we all have to suffer for your foolishness :evil: :evil: :evil:
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The Tories were in power when Brexit was voted for, negotiated and executed.

Whose Brexit, if not theirs, were we going to get? Especially when they tried trick after trick to stop parliamentary scrutiny.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 4:09pm
It was always the Brexit we were going to get (the Tories were in power longer than the 2 year exit period) so it was the Brexit you voted for. You won - own it....
YES,100% YES!
Last edited by reohn2 on 28 Sep 2021, 5:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

This is turning into another nasty Brexit argument that does nobody any good.

Brexit has brought this problem to a head, though it need not have done so if the Government had taken a more considered approach and issued plenty of work visas initially, phasing them out gradually over several years as the sector adjusted to the need to make attractive careers for UK citizens.

But the underlying problem was there before Brexit: the inability of the haulage industry to attract enough UK citizens. Constantly plugging the hole with foreign workers is fine for a while, as a short term measure, but it is treating the symptom rather than the illness. Of course the Government have gone too far the other way and cut off the short term solution before the long term solution is in place. Not clever.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Well, HMG definitely issued petrol coupons in 1973, but the ironic thing was that they were the ones printed during the Suez Crisis! Still got some floating about.
During that fuel crisis an eminent motoring journalist, William Boddy of Motor Sport, advocated that the motor industry should be compelled to made proper improvements in the economy performance of cars? Initially they should be doing 50 mpg at 50 mph, five years later 60 mpg at 60 mph, the after a further five years they should be doing 70 mpg at 70 mph!
Then we got roped into the stupidity of catalytic converters, after that even worse stupidity would occur! Fat humans demanded even fatter cars, downward spiral. TTFN MM
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PWA
Brexit is at the heart of this problem and as such should be hilighted for what it was and is now proving to be,the worst case scenario for the UK,made worse by and inept,incompetent and corrupt government not fit for purpose!

I fully agree that HGV drivers should be paid a damn site more than they were previously but the they weren't,and now the boot's on the other foot and the drivers are in the driving seat(sorry),good luck to them.I wouldn't drive an HGV for a living for a golden calf!
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

merseymouth wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 5:11pm Well, HMG definitely issued petrol coupons in 1973, but the ironic thing was that they were the ones printed during the Suez Crisis! Still got some floating about......
Love it! :D

Now about that Brexit thing you love so much.......
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Here's a thread from long ago with a pic of my petrol coupons

viewtopic.php?p=79562#p79562
=======================================

PS In those days I was what would now be a key worker and my planned ration would not have been enough to get to work.
Last edited by thirdcrank on 28 Sep 2021, 5:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 4:55pm The Tories were in power when Brexit was voted for, negotiated and executed.

Whose Brexit, if not theirs, were we going to get? Especially when they tried trick after trick to stop parliamentary scrutiny.
Spot on.

As someone else has posted the one's who voted for it should own it.
It's not as if they weren't warned,but they knew so much better.
They thought!
Last edited by reohn2 on 28 Sep 2021, 6:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

As for EU drivers:- https://youtu.be/tmUU1rzT6PQ
W H Auden
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

In the context of HGV driver shortage, could Brexit be fairly described as 'the elephant in the room'?

Actually, tbh, I've never been entirely sure what that expression means (as with 'going down the rabbit hole').
jb

Post by jb »

It means trying to ignore the obvious.

As in discussing with another why there doesn't seem to be much room in the living room without mentioning the elephant that's in there.
Cheers
J Bro
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 11:51am
Mick F wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 11:46am Crisis?
What crisis?
The crisis that's threatening care and emergency workers with not getting enough fuel to go to work and do their jobs.

The crisis that delayed deliveries of flu vaccine, and may now do the same to prescription drugs.

And I think that it's the same crisis that is causing fruit and vegetables to go unpicked.

That crisis.
And causing postponement of medical appointments:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... cellations

Jonathan