Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
As per usual the cupboards are stocked but that's normal as for the last 10 plus years or more.
What's in that cupboard...loo rolls.......that one..............uht milk......that one...a years supply of washing products........... :)
I am having to sort through the garage and office to make space for all the bike parts that are being rejected.... :evil:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Today I was in Wellesbourne Sainsbury’s. Many shelves empty with apology signs. We wanted paracetamol but just a sign to say they were working as hard as they could to get supplies.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Oldjohnw wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 12:05pm Today I was in Wellesbourne Sainsbury’s.
You are not shopping at Clarksons Diddely Squat Farm Shop then? :wink:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 1:07pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 12:05pm Today I was in Wellesbourne Sainsbury’s.
You are not shopping at Clarksons Diddely Squat Farm Shop then? :wink:

Al
Not in a million years. It’s about 12 miles away but the ends of the earth as far as I am concerned. I read of people travelling for four hours just to visit.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 12:05pmMany shelves empty with apology signs.
Did they have two different sets of signs?

Screenshot 2021-09-11 at 14.27.54.png
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... ages-leave

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

al_yrpal wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 1:07pm You are not shopping at Clarksons Diddely Squat Farm Shop then? :wink:
What is a Clarksons Diddely Squat Farm Shop?

We have many farm shops hereabouts. Popular one is at Chipshop.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.55476 ... 384!8i8192
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 3:23pm
al_yrpal wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 1:07pm You are not shopping at Clarksons Diddely Squat Farm Shop then? :wink:
What is a Clarksons Diddely Squat Farm Shop?

We have many farm shops hereabouts. Popular one is at Chipshop.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.55476 ... 384!8i8192
https://diddlysquatfarmshop.com/
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Clarkson has done a film series (on Amazon Prime) about his farm in the Cotswolds near where John lives. As usual its full of humour and no doubt annoys the pants of people who dont like him. He has opened his own farm shop too because its hard to make the farm pay. Probably because he has bought the most enormous tractor you have ever seen and he doesnt have any farming experience - hence Diddly Squat profits.
A lot of people hate the shop because they hate Clarkson and it has attracted lots of unwelcome visitors spoiling their rural idyl. Apparently John prefers Sainsburys.

Al
ps the tip about switching certain folk off is working great!
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 3:35pm Clarkson has done a film series (on Amazon Prime) about his farm in the Cotswolds near where John lives. As usual its full of humour and no doubt annoys the pants of people who dont like him. He has opened his own farm shop too because its hard to make the farm pay. Probably because he has bought the most enormous tractor you have ever seen and he doesnt have any farming experience - hence Diddly Squat profits.
A lot of people hate the shop because they hate Clarkson and it has attracted lots of unwelcome visitors spoiling their rural idyl. Apparently John prefers Sainsburys.

Al
ps the tip about switching certain folk off is working great!
I don’t prefer Sainsbury’s to local fresh food shops which is where I normally go for fresh food but I was at the recycling centre over the road and needed milk and paracetamol. I like farms shops but I don’t feel the urge to make Mr. Clarkson son any richer than he is. And he would not be my local shop anyway so it’s a little academic.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 11 Sep 2021, 5:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 3:35pm Clarkson has done a film series (on Amazon Prime) about his farm in the Cotswolds near where John lives. As usual its full of humour and no doubt annoys the pants of people who dont like him.
I looked at the website out of curiosity: one comment I took especial note of:
"We do not, for example, sell kale."
What's wrong with kale, I ask myself? We love it - provided it's properly cooked (stir-fry for a few minutes, then douse with a little soy sauce and water and simmer to soften it - is a good way). Perhaps it's too 'Islington' for the sort of clientele JC wants to attract.

I presume the farm, and hence the shop, aren't organic. Not condemning it for that (not many farmers can manage organic), but seems to me there's no advantage over the local supermarket.

As to the road miles expended, not by the farm but by its customers, some of them motoring the length of Britain to visit this place. Isn't that sad?! Of course they're not really going for the food: they're hoping to catch a glimpse of old Motormouth himself in person...

The combo of Tesco, Lidl, Waitrose and Riverford works fine for Yours Truly - thanks. We don't have a local Sainsbury's, Morrisons or Asda.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 2:28pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 12:05pmMany shelves empty with apology signs.
Did they have two different sets of signs?

Screenshot 2021-09-11 at 14.27.54.png
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... ages-leave

Jonathan
All of which goes to show that Brexit is indeed a cult,full of people who won't believe the truth when they(choose not to)see it,
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Jeremy Clarkson?
Is he still alive?
Is he still making a prat of himself?

Good grief.
Not seen anything about him or heard anything about him for donkey's years.

Best thing anyone can do, is just ignore him.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 6:09pm Jeremy Clarkson?
Is he still alive?
Is he still making a prat of himself?

Good grief.
Not seen anything about him or heard anything about him for donkey's years.

Best thing anyone can do, is just ignore him.
Apparently they don't and Clarkson is laughing all the weay to the bank,more fool the people who are entertained by his inaine drivel and drive hours to visit his shop.
You couldn't make it up but,like the Tories,he does and makes a packet out of it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

Good job I stocked up on bicycles over the years. I can salvage parts from the lesser used ones. I’m more convinced than ever - you can never have too many bikes.!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

No idea what the supermarket shelves are like but my Sainsbury home delivery today most will have to go back because so many things are unavailable meaning there are not complete meals (e.g. I like more than just carrots for my main meal of the day!). I would phone them and tell them not to bother coming (i.e. just cancel the entire order) except probably too late now (probably already on the van; plus I do need some food and there are some edible things I can eat coming.

But it does highlight the difficulty with home delivery. Visiting the store I can see e.g. no cauliflower so I can buy leaks instead (adequate quantity) but home delivery does substitution but they can often do daft substitution that does not provide a meal e.g. no whole cauliflower so substituted with broccoli hardly enough quantity for one person! - you can't blame the staff as they are trying just they can't make the decisions you'd make (number of people, etc.).

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 12 Sep 2021, 10:57am, edited 1 time in total.