Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mistik-ka

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby Mistik-ka » 21 Dec 2020, 11:44pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Canadian Cheddar used to be good but I havent seen it just lately. Al

Darn it - I bet those Canuks are selling it to the EU as part of their Canada-Style Agreement we're so keen on :lol:

We've been doing our best to gobble up the good stuff ourselves before it can be shipped across the water. :oops:

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 22 Dec 2020, 12:07am

Mistik-ka wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Canadian Cheddar used to be good but I havent seen it just lately. Al

Darn it - I bet those Canuks are selling it to the EU as part of their Canada-Style Agreement we're so keen on :lol:

We've been doing our best to gobble up the good stuff ourselves before it can be shipped across the water. :oops:

:D

RickH

Postby RickH » 22 Dec 2020, 1:12am

mjr wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
mjr wrote:That does not make the decision correct.

Sure, but my question was why you think that it should... (come from Cheddar, or at least near it.).

Things with a place name on the label should come from there, else it's false advertising.

Turkey? :twisted:

With Cheddar I think there has been produced in other places, even other countries (I can remember there being "New Zealand Cheddar" many moons ago, don't know if it still exists), for too many decades to put the cat back in the bag.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 22 Dec 2020, 7:39am

This discussion is beginning to resemble Gullivers encounter with the Big Endians etc Please carry on!

Al :lol:
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

mjr

Postby mjr » 22 Dec 2020, 9:27am

al_yrpal wrote:Apparently 80% of food imports come in containers which are unaffected by the blockade.

That is not true. You may be repeating something from someone who was confused by Boris's claim that "these delays – which are only occurring at Dover – only affect human-handled freight, and that is only 20 per cent of the total arriving from or departing to the European continent," https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... ember-2020

So that's 20% of all freight, not only food and definitely not only fresh food, and in both directions, not only imports. And imports are not currently blocked. It's just that even more EU drivers won't come here if there are now covid restrictions on top of Brexit delays.

There are numerous puzzling things about the claim, not least that only Dover is affected. Are the French borders at Dieppe, Cherbourg and so on still open?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 22 Dec 2020, 9:36am

Just been shopping at ASDA in Handsworth, Sheffield.
Not busy .... piles of fresh veg and fruit ... just a normal day.
However when i drove past the ALDI 1/2 a mile away from my house at 0745 .. before they where open, the carpark was full and there was a queue the full length of the building .... idiots !!
Be More Mike.
The Road Goes On Forever

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 22 Dec 2020, 4:53pm

Did a normal shop in the local Aldi. All completely normal, well stocked. Went near Sainsbury Superstore, no queues, no panic.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 22 Dec 2020, 6:04pm

just back from Lidl Streatham . Most of the fresh meat has gone. No chicken just one large turkey and a few pork chops and bacon.

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 22 Dec 2020, 6:19pm

Unread postby landsurfer » 22 Dec 2020, 9:36am

Just been shopping at ASDA in Handsworth, Sheffield.
However when i drove past the ALDI 1/2 a mile away from my house at 0745 .. before they where open, the carpark was full and there was a queue the full length of the building .... idiots !!
Be More Mike.
The Road Goes On Forever

It is remarkable that people cling to Asda etc when Aldo so much cheaper,but it is harsh to call them idiots.Which shop did you pick?

Syd

Postby Syd » 22 Dec 2020, 6:46pm

We had a Tesco home delivery booked for today at 6pm and were expecting the worst due to the madness of the past day and a half. Much to our amazement everything arrived with no substitutions.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 22 Dec 2020, 6:49pm

No dramas here either.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 22 Dec 2020, 7:04pm

landsurfer wrote:Just been shopping at ASDA in Handsworth, Sheffield.

Sounds a bit Jacob Rees Mogg: you aren't as clever as me so you must be an idiot.

I'm sure you didn't mean it like that.
John

Stevek76

Postby Stevek76 » 22 Dec 2020, 9:42pm

The local Sainsbury's was surprisingly busy at 9pm last night though may well have been just the day most decided to get the christmas stuff in. No real stock issues, though they did all say that it would only happen if HGV flow was restricted for a few days rather than straight away.

There were a large number of puzzled looking people who were clearly the half of a relationship who never normally do the shopping. That's annoying enough in normal times, when you can't just shove in because of social distancing and have to resort to death stares from 2m to encourage them to just get on a pick a cheese already it is particularly vexing. All the while they stand blocking the shelves, slowly moving between squinting at the crumpled list in their hand and the selection of more expensive/unusual cheeses trying to work out what their partner wanted that isn't going to leave them in the dog house :evil: :lol:

pwa

Postby pwa » 23 Dec 2020, 8:50am

My daughter went to our nearest Tesco last night to get the shopping to see us over the Christmas period and, as you would expect so close to Christmas, it was busy. But the shelves were mostly well stocked. Just a few items absent, notably a specific brand of frozen chips my mother wanted. But we got enough of what we wanted to keep us happy.