Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rjb

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby rjb » 23 Mar 2020, 5:05pm

Vorpal wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Likely they shall be released as soon as normality returns :?

Probably. Is it worth taking the risk of doing such a job for a low wage for a few months?

I would think that both are relatively low risk.

They can drive to the delivery location, and open the vehicles, then retreat to the cab, whilst the supermarket personnel remove the goods. The paperwork can done electronically, the delivery recorded on camera, and when the supermarket personnel have removed their goods, the driver can close the vehicle again and depart. That's what I gather they are doing in Norway. Most supermarkets in the UK could implement something like that.

Warehouse work should be feasible under social distancing?

If they deliver to Lidl or Aldi they have to unload the lorry themselves by all accounts.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39275186 :(

Thats given me an idea, can i get them to deliver to my door instead and cut out the middle man. :lol:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

rjb

Postby rjb » 23 Mar 2020, 5:26pm

Mick F wrote:We've been panic buying milk.
We bought a 4pt bottle and there's only two of us here.

local farmers are installing vending machines so you can fill up at the farm, just bring your own bottle.
https://themilkstationcompany.co.uk/
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 23 Mar 2020, 5:34pm

rjb wrote:local farmers are installing vending machines so you can fill up at the farm, just bring your own bottle.
Pardon my ignorance about country matters, but isn't there a thing called a cow? And can't you get your milk direct from her - provided you bring a bottle? :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 23 Mar 2020, 5:39pm

661-Pete wrote:Pardon my ignorance about country matters, but isn't there a thing called a cow? And can't you get your milk direct from her - provided you bring a bottle? :lol:

Extracting milk from a cow is a skill which has to be learned; I could do it when my years were numbered in single digits, but that was a long time ago, and I'm not sure I could still do it.
We lived on a remote island and kept a cow. She was called Sabrina, for reasons which were obscure to me at the time.
Sabrina was a film star of the day who was noted for her assets.

Sabrina was the impossibly-proportioned darling of Britain, the cast of the Goon Show, and most discerning testosterone-enabled beings during the 1950s and 1960s.
Sabrina, Norma Ann Sykes, D.Litt (Hon) was the voluptuous British Stockport lass who became Sabrina and accomplished above the hips what Elvis accomplished below.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 23 Mar 2020, 7:07pm

The poop Tool

https://thepooptool.com/

or do you really need those 40 bog rolls you just bought?

I dont think it is very reliable as some cheap rolls use tissue so thin you need 3 or 4 to avoid wiping your hands in excrement, but there you are

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 23 Mar 2020, 7:46pm

Mike Sales wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Pardon my ignorance about country matters, but isn't there a thing called a cow? And can't you get your milk direct from her - provided you bring a bottle? :lol:

Extracting milk from a cow is a skill which has to be learned; I could do it when my years were numbered in single digits, but that was a long time ago, and I'm not sure I could still do it.
I was having a larf, of course!

I've never tried milking a cow myself, but I've seen it done - by hand that is. I believe you've got to establish some sort of rapport with her - to persuade her to part with her milk. Just grabbing the teats and tugging ain't enough.

How milking machines achieve that, I really don't know. But I suppose the cows get used to them....

We're way off topic, I admit. But then - panic buying doesn't really have a lot to do with pandemics...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 23 Mar 2020, 8:01pm

661-Pete wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

I was having a larf, of course!

I've never tried milking a cow myself, but I've seen it done - by hand that is. I believe you've got to establish some sort of rapport with her - to persuade her to part with her milk. Just grabbing the teats and tugging ain't enough.

How milking machines achieve that, I really don't know. But I suppose the cows get used to them....

We're way off topic, I admit. But then - panic buying doesn't really have a lot to do with pandemics...

For many years I used to keep goats and milked them. My son would have been about 7 before he tasted cow's milk.
John

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 23 Mar 2020, 9:14pm

With new restrictions hoarders don't look so stupid. Wish I'd bought some more food - and a freezer!

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 23 Mar 2020, 9:17pm

djnotts wrote:With new restrictions hoarders don't look so stupid. Wish I'd bought some more food - and a freezer!

Loads in our local shop.
Obviously you risk catching something but surely you just need one decent sized shop every couple of weeks.
There are limits on the number of individual items but no limits on the total items so variety is the spice of life!

(Think home deliveries are still a thing, in fact they'd make by far the most sense. Might have to book in advance though)

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 23 Mar 2020, 9:21pm

kwackers wrote:
djnotts wrote:With new restrictions hoarders don't look so stupid. Wish I'd bought some more food - and a freezer!

Loads in our local shop.
Obviously you risk catching something but surely you just need one decent sized shop every couple of weeks.
There are limits on the number of individual items but no limits on the total items so variety is the spice of life!

(Think home deliveries are still a thing, in fact they'd make by far the most sense. Might have to book in advance though)

I can't carry 2 weeks essentials in 1 trip!

pete75

Postby pete75 » 23 Mar 2020, 9:24pm

661-Pete wrote:
rjb wrote:local farmers are installing vending machines so you can fill up at the farm, just bring your own bottle.
Pardon my ignorance about country matters, but isn't there a thing called a cow? And can't you get your milk direct from her - provided you bring a bottle? :lol:

All commercially farmed cows are milked by machines in milking parlours. The vending machines will be selling milk from them.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 23 Mar 2020, 10:00pm

pete75 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:

All commercially farmed cows are milked by machines in milking parlours. The vending machines will be selling milk from them.
Read my post above :lol: !

pete75

Postby pete75 » 23 Mar 2020, 10:03pm

661-Pete wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Read my post above :lol: !

I have done and I've pardoned your ignorance about country matters.

peetee

Postby peetee » 23 Mar 2020, 10:07pm

They are greedy and selfish and Putting other people at greater risk by forcing them to make repeat trips to shops just to find the essentials. FYI there is no curfew on leaving home to shop for food.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 23 Mar 2020, 10:40pm

Think there is/will be for the "shielded" category being notified this week.