Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby mjr » 24 Mar 2020, 3:56pm

RickH wrote:
mjr wrote:With any luck, next time I go shopping won't be just after Boris the Bringer of Panic flaps his chops and I'll be able to restock more long-life things.

But isn't that every single day now? :shock:

When this started, it was claimed that sometimes the daily sermon will be delivered by a senior minister rather than Boris. I'm hoping for Rishi, who at least looks more in command of his remit and might soothe the nerves of the hamster-shoppers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 24 Mar 2020, 4:00pm

well Streatham lidl 3pm no milk/bog paper/fresh raw meat. I did get a 4 pack of solid hand soap. Lots of fresh perishables llke apples tomatoes/cucumbers/ and veg. tons of baking potatoes 50p/kg So if you are a vegy come to Streatham Lidl. I just wish Lidl would fill their shelves twice a day rather late at night to give people like me a look in - if they fear getting lynched they could close the store for 30 mins midday to do it?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 24 Mar 2020, 4:01pm

Morzedec wrote:Police in Cornwall have today reported that a commode has been stolen.

Apparently, they have nothing to go on.

(Just how old can a joke be?)

:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall

carpetcleaner

Postby carpetcleaner » 24 Mar 2020, 4:05pm

mercalia wrote:well Streatham lidl 3pm no milk/bog paper/fresh raw meat. I did get a 4 pack of solid hand soap. Lots of fresh perishables llke apples tomatoes/cucumbers/ and veg. tons of baking potatoes 50p/kg So if you are a vegy come to Streatham Lidl. I just wish Lidl would fill their shelves twice a day rather late at night to give people like me a look in - if they fear getting lynched they could close the store for 30 mins midday to do it?

Bars of soap are always there on otherwise empty shelves. They appear to have fallen out of fashion and few people buy them. I do as I see no reason to pay for liquid soap which is more expensive and is mostly water.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 24 Mar 2020, 4:18pm

carpetcleaner wrote:
mercalia wrote:well Streatham lidl 3pm no milk/bog paper/fresh raw meat. I did get a 4 pack of solid hand soap. Lots of fresh perishables llke apples tomatoes/cucumbers/ and veg. tons of baking potatoes 50p/kg So if you are a vegy come to Streatham Lidl. I just wish Lidl would fill their shelves twice a day rather late at night to give people like me a look in - if they fear getting lynched they could close the store for 30 mins midday to do it?

Bars of soap are always there on otherwise empty shelves. They appear to have fallen out of fashion and few people buy them. I do as I see no reason to pay for liquid soap which is more expensive and is mostly water.

not in Streatham, Lidl. The also have been vanishing. The first time I have seen any in a week. A work around for liquid soap is to heavily dilute washing up liquid?

Poundland is still open so I used the opportunity get stock up on sunflower seeds and mealy worm-suet pellets

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 24 Mar 2020, 4:31pm

Afternoon all, It ain't serious yet, well you can still buy copious quantities of booze!
If Single malt whisky qualifies as medicine I'll be ok, my 12 year-old Aberlour should improve my condition :lol: . MM

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 24 Mar 2020, 11:43pm

review of my nearest triplet lidladesco: no bars of even cheapo soap, still no pasta, no bogroll, still no rice. And now no garlic, which is very annoying as previously I was the only human this side of the english channel that utilised more than a bulb per recipe.

And at long last I have tracked down patient zero:

By Jan 2, 2020, 41 admitted hospital patients had been identified as having laboratory-confirmed 2019-nCoV infection. Most of the infected patients were men (30 [73%] of 41); less than half had underlying diseases (13 [32%]), including diabetes (eight [20%]), hypertension (six [15%]), and cardiovascular disease (six [15%]). Median age was 49·0 years (IQR 41·0–58·0). 27 (66%) of 41 patients had been exposed to Huanan seafood market. One family cluster was found. Common symptoms at onset of illness were fever (40 [98%] of 41 patients), cough (31 [76%]), and myalgia or fatigue (18 [44%]); less common symptoms were sputum production (11 [28%] of 39), headache (three [8%] of 38), haemoptysis (two [5%] of 39), and diarrhoea (one [3%] of 38). Dyspnoea developed in 22 (55%) of 40 patients (median time from illness onset to dyspnoea 8·0 days [IQR 5·0–13·0]). 26 (63%) of 41 patients had lymphopenia. All 41 patients had pneumonia with abnormal findings on chest CT. Complications included acute respiratory distress syndrome (12 [29%]), RNAaemia (six [15%]), acute cardiac injury (five [12%]) and secondary infection (four [10%]). 13 (32%) patients were admitted to an ICU and six (15%) died. Compared with non-ICU patients, ICU patients had higher plasma levels of IL2, IL7, IL10, GSCF, IP10, MCP1, MIP1A, and TNFα.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30183-5/fulltext

The Lancet began as an independent, international weekly general medical journal founded in 1823 by Thomas Wakley.

I trust that the Lancet is acceptable as a reference for everyone here. I'm told that the Lancet is popular reading with Australians hence why their Australian Government Department of Health published those details the other month causing aussies to panic buy bogroll.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 25 Mar 2020, 9:04am

merseymouth wrote:Afternoon all, It ain't serious yet, well you can still buy copious quantities of booze!
If Single malt whisky qualifies as medicine I'll be ok, my 12 year-old Aberlour should improve my condition :lol: . MM
please yourself, but I prefer to stay sober - for now at least. If the worst comes to the worst, perhaps it'd give me the Dutch courage to top myself....

In this clip (CAUTION: harrowing) from the French film La Vie, L'Amour, La Mort, the victim appears to manage without. At least the end is quick....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 26 Mar 2020, 10:21am

The Aldi at which my son works has finally deployed Security (under insurance policy he believes!) to space entry etc. Screens for check outs imminent. All too little too late.

OTOH, yesterday was first for weeks that he returned home feeling a little heartened. Abuse and threats of violence much reduced and a few shoppers even thanked him and his colleagues for their efforts in keeping the food shops open.

About time.

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 26 Mar 2020, 10:24am

661-Pete wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Afternoon all, It ain't serious yet, well you can still buy copious quantities of booze!
please yourself, but I prefer to stay sober - for now at least. If the worst comes to the worst, perhaps it'd give me the Dutch courage to top myself....

17 years entirely dry at end of April. Perhaps I will have to celebrate by going out on a "high" - a couple of tumblers of gin probably do the job after so long!

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 26 Mar 2020, 10:32am

Hi.
mercalia wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

not in Streatham, Lidl. The also have been vanishing. The first time I have seen any in a week. A work around for liquid soap is to heavily dilute washing up liquid?

Poundland is still open so I used the opportunity get stock up on sunflower seeds and mealy worm-suet pellets

We buy our sunflower seeds and mealworms suet pellets et cetera, sunflower seeds are for my bread the edible variety.
From "home bargains "you will find them cheaper for sure.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 26 Mar 2020, 10:43am

Hi DJ Potts, My father gave up alcohol in the 1950's after Wartime FAA Service and Post-War Reserve Service, quite a boozy lot mate-lots, ask MickF?
Still dry at his death in 2010. He found that his glass of dry ginger led others to believe he was a whisky fiend. Only when they bought a round involving him did the penny drop that he was dry.
Sadly many folk don't follow his message - "Never drink on an empty head!".
I'm not TT, but still self limit, I may sound squiffy, but that is only a legacy from a stroke. Sensible sober is best :D :D :D . MM

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 26 Mar 2020, 10:46am

A couple of months off death, I quit on 2 bottles of gin/brandy a day. It was hard - and gets only a very little easier even after so long.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 26 Mar 2020, 10:53am

Shop infrequently, once a week ideally! Not with empty shelves you don't. I'm going every evening because I can't get everything needed in one visit. Why¿ Hoarding still going on?

I choose to go 9pm or so because there's an empty store without queues. I figure lower risk then. What's best? Early shop when busy but more chance of stock and fewer, high risk shops? Or daily, lower risk shops?

The latter I walk straight through the store and buy at self service checkouts with contactless card. Apart from what I buy I touch nothing I didn't come with. I use my bag as a shopping trolley. If only there wasn't still the milk clearout going on. Pre pandemic milk never, ever got close to running out. Why is it doing so now? When will that end?

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 26 Mar 2020, 11:53am

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi.
mercalia wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

We buy our sunflower seeds and mealworms suet pellets et cetera, sunflower seeds are for my bread the edible variety.
From "home bargains "you will find them cheaper for sure.

apart from there aint a store near me. The mealworm-suet pellets about the same price - Poundland £1/500g homebargains 8kg/£15.92. The dried meal worms at poundland seem to be a bargain compared to anything on ebay - £1/100g as are the fat balls