Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Debs
Posts: 693
Joined: 19 May 2017, 7:05pm
Location: Powys

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby Debs » 26 Mar 2020, 3:09pm

Living out in the countryside over 10 mile away from any big supermarket i tend to buy bread 3 loaves at a time - put two in freezer back at home.

I only eat wholemeal bread, always have done, not been brought up on the white cotton-wooly stuff.

But ever since the Coronavirus crisis and the epidemic hordes of swivel eyed panic stricken hoarders, i've been unable to buy any wholemeal bread since running out a couple of weeks ago.
I only normally go supermarket shopping 3 times a month, sometimes only twice, but since running out of bread i now need to go more often like once a week or so, but only to see empty shelves, or nothing but unhealthy white crappy bread, and no healthy wholemeal anywhere to be seen! :evil:

Even in WW2 bread was not on ration. and stupid white bread was quite rightly banned because of it's poor crappy quality.

I'm pretty sure back in the 1940s people didn't have huge chest freezes at home big enough for 200 loaves of bread.

In this crisis they should insist that wholemeal should take priority and hold production of white bread again :|

Anyway rant over, you can all get back from behind the sofas now.

I wonder if the sale of freezes has gone up recently? :roll:

kwackers
Posts: 14304
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby kwackers » 26 Mar 2020, 3:13pm

Debs wrote:I only eat wholemeal bread, always have done, not been brought up on the white cotton-wooly stuff.

What do you eat your jam butties on? Surely not wholegrain. :shock: :wink:

Debs wrote:I wonder if the sale of freezes has gone up recently? :roll:

Yes they have.

Psamathe
Posts: 11121
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby Psamathe » 26 Mar 2020, 3:16pm

Supermarket tills are clever. Why not discard limits (e.g. max 3 items) and introduce e.g. 1 item costs normal price, 2 you pay an extra 10% on both items, 3 you pay an extra 15% on all 3 items ... 10 you pay twice normal price. Big sign at the entrance "You can but one at standard price buy more than one and ...". And the extra income goes to food banks or other charities suffering through the current crisis.

Maybe allow 2 at standard price or 3 ... all details, basic idea you are using panic buyers to fund the suffering charities.

Ian

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 4618
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby Paulatic » 26 Mar 2020, 3:22pm

Psamathe wrote:Supermarket tills are clever. Why not discard limits (e.g. max 3 items) and introduce e.g. 1 item costs normal price, 2 you pay an extra 10% on both items, 3 you pay an extra 15% on all 3 items ... 10 you pay twice normal price. Big sign at the entrance "You can but one at standard price buy more than one and ...". And the extra income goes to food banks or other charities suffering through the current crisis.

Maybe allow 2 at standard price or 3 ... all details, basic idea you are using panic buyers to fund the suffering charities.

Ian

Are the tills clever enough to know the person is buying for a family of six?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Psamathe
Posts: 11121
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby Psamathe » 26 Mar 2020, 3:33pm

Paulatic wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Supermarket tills are clever. Why not discard limits (e.g. max 3 items) and introduce e.g. 1 item costs normal price, 2 you pay an extra 10% on both items, 3 you pay an extra 15% on all 3 items ... 10 you pay twice normal price. Big sign at the entrance "You can but one at standard price buy more than one and ...". And the extra income goes to food banks or other charities suffering through the current crisis.

Maybe allow 2 at standard price or 3 ... all details, basic idea you are using panic buyers to fund the suffering charities.

Ian

Are the tills clever enough to know the person is buying for a family of six?

Many supermarkets are restricting at the moment and have no idea if you are buying for 1 or 6. Surcharge for above what is currently a hard limit to fund charities would give people a choice beyond what they have at present.

Ian

Debs
Posts: 693
Joined: 19 May 2017, 7:05pm
Location: Powys

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby Debs » 26 Mar 2020, 3:43pm

It wouldn't be good to limit people into buying only one of something if it means they need to return to the supermarket in a few days [ or another supermarket the same day ] to buy more, and thus subjecting themselves and others to more contact and possibility of catching the bug.

I think buying no more than 3 foodstuffs items is about right in the circumstance. Peoples can then stay at home longer.

Psamathe
Posts: 11121
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby Psamathe » 26 Mar 2020, 3:51pm

Debs wrote:It wouldn't be good to limit people into buying only one of something if it means they need to return to the supermarket in a few days [ or another supermarket the same day ] to buy more, and thus subjecting themselves and others to more contact and possibility of catching the bug.

I think buying no more than 3 foodstuffs items is about right in the circumstance. Peoples can then stay at home longer.

I was not intending to be specific about numbers before a surcharge, more the principle. Apparently in Tesco you cannot buy more than 3 of anything (2 for some items) no matter the number of people you are buying for. So allow people to buy more and fund charities affected by the crisis gives people a choice whilst slightly offsetting some of the negative effects happening.

In effect the frequent re-visit problem is happening at the moment (or would if I could be bothered to eat something other than porridge and rice cakes - which I do have some stock of). With a 3 limit and very limited ranges (so much sold-out) and as a vegetarian my choices are more limited, I'd be returning frequently even though buying more would not be hoarding. But I can't be bothered to keep returning to look at empty shelves. Went in on Sunday and never even bothered to park it as carpark was overflowing like your worst nightmare car boot sale. I guess I'll run short of porridge and rice cakes at some point but I can't be bothered to go and look at empty shelves and buy nothing.

Ian

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12297
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby Cyril Haearn » 26 Mar 2020, 5:13pm

Chanced by a food store on the other side of town, toilet paper on the shelves, bought the maximum allowed (1 pack) :wink:
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

fullupandslowingdown
Posts: 465
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 5:47pm

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 26 Mar 2020, 5:49pm

mercalia wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi.
mercalia wrote:
Poundland is still open so I used the opportunity get stock up on sunflower seeds and mealy worm-suet pellets

We buy our sunflower seeds and mealworms suet pellets et cetera, sunflower seeds are for my bread the edible variety.
From "home bargains "you will find them cheaper for sure.


apart from there aint a store near me. The mealworm-suet pellets about the same price - Poundland £1/500g homebargains 8kg/£15.92. The dried meal worms at poundland seem to be a bargain compared to anything on ebay - £1/100g as are the fat balls



I got my mum for £12.50 a 1.8Kg tub of wriggly worms, from an independent shop (a more useful pressie than a card and flowers for mum's day) Thought it was a mega bargain until I walked into wilkos following week, and saw they had 900g tubs for £6.50 last week. Still, it was 50p cheaper and a bigger tub that mum will use for heaven knows more things :?

User avatar
Graham
Moderator
Posts: 6096
Joined: 14 Dec 2006, 8:48pm

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby Graham » 26 Mar 2020, 5:58pm

Debs wrote:But ever since the Coronavirus crisis and the epidemic hordes of swivel eyed panic stricken hoarders, i've been unable to buy any wholemeal bread since running out a couple of weeks ago.

Yep, the swivel-eyed loons are rampant :lol:

I'm down to my last stock of strong, white flour to which is added some ground Chia seeds - making a good substitute for the normal wholemeal.

Other substitutions are planned, if necessity dictates.

ossie
Posts: 714
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 7:52pm

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby ossie » 26 Mar 2020, 6:01pm

Went shopping for my elderly mum but our Tesco have instigated the one in, one out policy and the queue was around the car park. So popped to Asda and the queue was longer. Eventually got her bits and pieces in the M&S foodhall in our local shopping centre. They had about three customers and everything was available.(obviously more expensive)

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 11384
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 26 Mar 2020, 6:35pm

Hi,
Searches online are notoriously flawed.
And store managers decide what to and not stock.
Image Attachments
A67613BE-0B66-4D9B-B86C-565EFFC66BD3.png
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

fullupandslowingdown
Posts: 465
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 5:47pm

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 26 Mar 2020, 6:45pm

Tangled Metal wrote:..... Pre pandemic milk never, ever got close to running out. Why is it doing so now? When will that end?


Tell my other half that, she often cusses ( pre corona days) when doing the weekend shop, 50% of the time can't get a medium bottle of green top. She's not a great drinker, and I don't touch the white stuff so a 4 pinta is wasted.

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 4618
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby Paulatic » 27 Mar 2020, 10:14am

Panic buying for any Still Game fans
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 4854
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby RickH » 27 Mar 2020, 10:17am

ETdZzbyWoAEBsC7.jpg
New limited edition Lego set