Page 58 of 64

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Posted: 8 Jun 2020, 4:07pm
by mercalia
well well well. went back to my secret lidls and they had strong bread flour in again, not much. so thats me with 13.5 kg now. should last me thru the 2nd lock down if one comes.

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Posted: 8 Jun 2020, 4:52pm
by NATURAL ANKLING
Hi,
Who is panic buying now :)
But they still don't have any yeast :(
No problem though some of our friends go in very early in the morning into Sainsbury's and they put one box out probably to last all day :?

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Posted: 8 Jun 2020, 4:54pm
by Bonefishblues
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Who is panic buying now :)
But they still don't have any yeast :(
No problem though some of our friends go in very early in the morning into Sainsbury's and they put one box out probably to last all day :?

I'm surprised you haven't done a sourdough starter by now.

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Posted: 6 Jul 2020, 4:04pm
by mercalia
Well first its Bread Flour back in stock at Streatham Lidl ( all gone today but there were lots), next its DRIED YEAST TONS OF THE STUFF

WP_20200706_15_25_49_Pro.jpg


will be interesting to see how long that lot lasts? any predictions

Is Lidl yeast any good? says ok for bread makers also

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Posted: 6 Jul 2020, 4:42pm
by mjr
mercalia wrote:Well first its Bread Flour back in stock at Streatham Lidl ( all gone today but there were lots), next its DRIED YEAST TONS OF THE STUFF

I've just run out of yeast for the first time this lockdown. I ran it a bit close and the new shop in the next village's pub that has been a consistent supplier since opening had run out - so I hope either the pub shop has got some, or the town Lidl has it too, else it's flatbreads for Wednesday ;)

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Posted: 6 Jul 2020, 4:50pm
by thirdcrank
Any minute now, the No-deal-Brexit hoarding will start. "In no particular order" Meghan / Maxwell / Grand old Duke of Pork / lockdown will fade a bit and the next circulation booster / social media trend will be shortages of medication ... etc

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Posted: 6 Jul 2020, 4:56pm
by Oldjohnw
thirdcrank wrote:Any minute now, the No-deal-Brexit hoarding will start. "In no particular order" Meghan / Maxwell / Grand old Duke of Pork / lockdown will fade a bit and the next circulation booster / social media trend will be shortages of medication ... etc


We shall as ever stock up but we don't hoard. Sensible preparation when there is plenty saves panic buying later. As a country cousin in have always kept a good stock of foodstuffs and household items.

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Posted: 6 Jul 2020, 7:21pm
by Cyril Haearn
Saw a cruise barge on the canal today, first voyage after lockdown, through a window I could see that it had plenty of toilet paper

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Posted: 7 Jul 2020, 4:39pm
by mercalia
WP_20200706_15_25_49_Pro.jpg
yesterday

WP_20200707_15_51_03_Pro.jpg
today

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Posted: 7 Jul 2020, 11:09pm
by [XAP]Bob
Oldjohnw wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:Any minute now, the No-deal-Brexit hoarding will start. "In no particular order" Meghan / Maxwell / Grand old Duke of Pork / lockdown will fade a bit and the next circulation booster / social media trend will be shortages of medication ... etc


We shall as ever stock up but we don't hoard. Sensible preparation when there is plenty saves panic buying later. As a country cousin in have always kept a good stock of foodstuffs and household items.

Can’t stick up on medication with a tight shelf life and high cost :(

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Posted: 8 Jul 2020, 12:08pm
by mjr
No yeast in Lidl Lynn. The sign is back above the shelf but there's only cases of evaporated milk under it.

Pub shop still had no yeast but gave me a kilo of yeast past its best before. It should be ok for a few days, so I'll part-bake loads of rolls and freeze most of them.

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Posted: 8 Jul 2020, 12:31pm
by Marcus Aurelius
I’ve been hearing something quite funny, from a lot of people I know, of late. Essentially along the lines of “ I’m not panic buying, I just double up on stuff I usually buy, and get a couple of ( insert item they never usually need ) just in case” errrm no, that’s the very definition panic buying :lol:. And something else I’ve heard frequently of late is “I’ve bought a bike / I want to buy a bike on the C2W scheme” when I ask how it is for them I get “oh, I’m not going to ride it now, it’s just in case” ( the sky falls in, presumably ).

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Posted: 8 Jul 2020, 1:07pm
by mercalia
Marcus Aurelius wrote:I’ve been hearing something quite funny, from a lot of people I know, of late. Essentially along the lines of “ I’m not panic buying, I just double up on stuff I usually buy, and get a couple of ( insert item they never usually need ) just in case” errrm no, that’s the very definition panic buying :lol:. And something else I’ve heard frequently of late is “I’ve bought a bike / I want to buy a bike on the C2W scheme” when I ask how it is for them I get “oh, I’m not going to ride it now, it’s just in case” ( the sky falls in, presumably ).


well not quite. Like Oldjohnw I keep a stock of things a) in case I am ill b) There are special offers or 30% reductions or theme based offers in Lidl where you only have a limited opportunity to get them. Glad I did as until the last week there hasnt been any bread flour in Lidi since early March.

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Posted: 3 Aug 2020, 9:51pm
by thirdcrank
Government urges post-Brexit drug stockpiles

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53641803

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Posted: 4 Aug 2020, 7:28am
by gbnz
thirdcrank wrote:Government urges post-Brexit drug stockpiles

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53641803


What Gvt decides to take a policy which will ensure that the economy is seriously damaged and commerce & the population need to start stockpiling the basic essentials of life? Sounds like a really well thought policy position!