Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Postby mjr » 21 Dec 2020, 1:52pm

al_yrpal wrote:Aldi Red Leicester is absolutely yummy as is their Caledonian Cheddar.

Go for the posh label one. Their regular is too rubbery IMO.

And Caledonian Cheddar is a contradiction in naming. Cheddar should come from Cheddar, or at least near it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 21 Dec 2020, 1:58pm

Why "should"?

It's been defined by a process rather than where it's made for quite a long time.

But "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar" is a protected name.

Jonathan

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 21 Dec 2020, 2:03pm

. . . just came back from Streatham Lidl and wasnt very busy and the shelves full. Maybe the bad news came too soon and the hoarders had to go to work
Last edited by mercalia on 21 Dec 2020, 2:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 21 Dec 2020, 2:04pm

I’ve found the best thing to do with ALDI cheese is take it out of the plastic wrapper and wrap it in grease proof.
In my garden I’ve still over a row of beetroot and another of leeks with cabbage looking good for the spring. Wish the cauliflower plants looked the same.
Tonight we’re having chicken and leek pie with spiralised beetroot. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

Debs

Postby Debs » 21 Dec 2020, 2:32pm

Now the imminent threat of stampeding panic buyers has been advertised on TV national News, the panic buyers won't be waiting for starters orders!

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 21 Dec 2020, 2:40pm

Went to the new EasyNosh, it is bigger and better than the old one, couldnae find some stuff I wanted
What one does not find, one can not buy, saved some cash, +1!
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 21 Dec 2020, 2:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Debs

Postby Debs » 21 Dec 2020, 2:40pm

Vorpal wrote:The imported items I will stock up on are:
cheese (cheddar & red leicester)
Green & Black's cocoa & chocolates
Piccalilli
PG Tips

Is Red Leicester really imported?

And by 'Cheddar' do you mean English / Welsh / Scottish ?

I wouldn't have thought they are imported, but can imagine if people's usually supply of foreign cheeses does fail to reach our supermarkets, then our Cheddars may become subject more to demand than supply.
Then again, if the British Cheddars fail to export then this could remain here to be used to fuel the extra demand...

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 21 Dec 2020, 2:43pm

Aldi (Caledonian) brie and blue stilton, mature cheddar etc are often quite exceptional. As is their single malt whisky and their continental meats.

Sadly, not accessed it for many months as we now have home deliveries. Another casualty of the pandemic.
John

Debs

Postby Debs » 21 Dec 2020, 2:48pm

Buying Cheese in Brexit Britain:

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 21 Dec 2020, 3:06pm

One earnestly hopes This Madness, importing and exporting cheese, stops now the continent has been cut off
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 21 Dec 2020, 4:43pm

Hi,
Two fridge freezers full up 95%
Larder full up
Other cupboards in kitchen and office are stuffed.
Turfing out old stuff for more room :) OK so spare one bag loo rolls and other such washing stuff.

BUT we have owned two fridge freezers for more than 20 years and always buy when offers are in.
So weekly shopping does not change
We probably have some 5% more than usual, but this can drop to say 75% normal stock at times.
Still works out at about £26.50 per person per week all in on consumables..............whats a meal out cost?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 21 Dec 2020, 4:44pm

Hi all, Maybe the food crisis?, will mean that with "Mouse-Trap", cheese we won't be able to tell the difference on sight between Sage Derbyand Mouldy Cheddar? :lol: :lol:
Vorpal needs imported British Red Leicester due to location in Norway :oops: :oops: :oops: . TTFN MM

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 21 Dec 2020, 4:50pm

Sampled Aldi's 5 year old brandy at the week-end. While not quite as nice as the Henessy XO a bottle of which my chum whipped out of his briefcase, on our way to a lunchtime meeeting in the Bath not long ago... :shock: it's jolly good for the price (less than £15 the bottle).
byyeee,
SiE

mjr

Postby mjr » 21 Dec 2020, 5:36pm

mercalia wrote:. . . just came back from Streatham Lidl and wasnt very busy and the shelves full. Maybe the bad news came too soon and the hoarders had to go to work

The panickers fled London on Saturday evening, didn't they? ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

mjr

Postby mjr » 21 Dec 2020, 5:51pm

Debs wrote:Now the imminent threat of stampeding panic buyers has been advertised on TV national News, the panic buyers won't be waiting for starters orders!

Yes, Sainsbury's in particular ought to be assumed of themselves, getting some publicity by talking up shortages: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/1 ... uld-cause/

Jdsk wrote:Why "should"?

It's been defined by a process rather than where it's made for quite a long time.

That does not make the decision correct.

But "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar" is a protected name.

Good luck finding that much. In Sainsbury's (as I've got their website open, from failing to find their shortages news story on it), you'll find exactly one type of that, and it's store-branded. The big chains want to keep Cheddar as a commodity where they can play producers off against each other.