Money during Covid

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
tatanab

Money during Covid

Post by tatanab »

A club mate has told me that a local farm shop will serve take away tea and coffee but they will not accept cash, payment has to be by contactless payment. I hope this does not become the norm, contactless payment only that is. I don't use contactless, nor do I routinely carry cards.
pete75

Re: Money during Covid

Post by pete75 »

I've heard a lot of places are either doing that or thinking of doing it. Won't be good for the elderly even if they do make it to the shops before they've been stripped.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

tatanab wrote:A club mate has told me that a local farm shop will serve take away tea and coffee but they will not accept cash, payment has to be by contactless payment. I hope this does not become the norm, contactless payment only that is. I don't use contactless, nor do I routinely carry cards.

I’ve had Applepay on my phone for a year or more and rarely used it. This last week I’ve bought everything with it right down to one lowly newspaper for a pound.
Even had to educate a local agricultural merchant that I could pay for something over £30 just by scanning too. I’m definitely not using cash probably ever again.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

My spare change bottle has been on the go for nearly 10 years now.
If I marked the level after every year we'd see an inverse exp fill rate. Even though it's 2/3rds full I suspect it'll never actually fill.

Cash is pretty filthy when you get down to it. I've only used it in the past few years when forced to.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

pete75 wrote:I've heard a lot of places are either doing that or thinking of doing it. Won't be good for the elderly even if they do make it to the shops before they've been stripped.

With respect, get used to it. It is the way it's going and it suits me just fine.

I have been using ApplePay for over two years now and I use it for EVERYTHING. If a retailer wants cash then that's fine, but they won't get my business. My children (30/28/26) simply don't carry cash ever and that's that. This is life in a medium sized Nothern town not life in a big city.

I'm the very first person to dump something if it doesn't work properly. I've never had one single problem with ApplePay since I started using it.

I'm 62, does that make me 'the elderly' ?
mjr

Post by mjr »

tatanab wrote:A club mate has told me that a local farm shop will serve take away tea and coffee but they will not accept cash, payment has to be by contactless payment. I hope this does not become the norm, contactless payment only that is. I don't use contactless, nor do I routinely carry cards.

Why not? As others say, cash is filthy, even without C19.

I move my payment card to in the back of a glove before putting them on to go into a shop, or at least to a pocket on its own, so ideally I don't need to take gloves off or touch the payment. If I must use a pin pad for a control then I use a stylus on it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Talking of money, I got a letter from the pensions people today saying my state pension was increasing by 3.9% from April 11.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

kwackers wrote:Cash is pretty filthy when you get down to it. I've only used it in the past few years when forced to.
My dad was an insurance "penny policy" collector and went on his rounds daily ......... Wigan and then transferred to Skelmersdale ........... and he had a leather pouch for the coinage.

He handled the coins all the time of course and he often had finger and hand infections and often needed septic wounds lanced.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Tiberius wrote:
pete75 wrote:I've heard a lot of places are either doing that or thinking of doing it. Won't be good for the elderly even if they do make it to the shops before they've been stripped.

With respect, get used to it. It is the way it's going and it suits me just fine.

I have been using ApplePay for over two years now and I use it for EVERYTHING. If a retailer wants cash then that's fine, but they won't get my business. My children (30/28/26) simply don't carry cash ever and that's that. This is life in a medium sized Nothern town not life in a big city.

I'm the very first person to dump something if it doesn't work properly. I've never had one single problem with ApplePay since I started using it.

The cost of a pocket, or even a nice wee wallet, to keep your cash in is teeny compared to the cost of a prattle gizmo and it's cashless facility. "But the gizmo is useful for much else", you cry. Not to me it isn't. I don't want a gizmo, especially if it's a spy-in-the-pocket tracking my every move and thought. (Yes, even your thoughts are extrapolated from your movements and doings by the manipulator men of business and government).

How much gets added to the cost of a thing by prattle-gizmo payment, by the way?

Cugel, looking for a tinfoil wallet.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

mjr wrote:Why not? As others say, cash is filthy, even without C19.
I suppose it is because it would be new to me, and like many new things a bit off putting. e.g. in the 1970s I paid everything over the counter, no direct debits. I think my cards are automatically contactless enabled so I might give it a try. As for phone apps -- I don't have a suitable device.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Can't see the issue. Whilst a few bemused looks are normally encountered when buying a single banana or apple on a credit card (NB. There normally being a member of staff in a contactless area), it's perfectly straightforward. Done it for a few years now
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

if we don't have cash how are you supposed to snort Cocaine ? :shock: :lol: :lol:
NUKe

Post by Vorpal »

Very few shops in Norway are still accepting cash, now. Most have signs up that they will not accept it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tiberius wrote:

I've been using it for years.
A lot of people in their seventies and eighties only use cash though.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Syd

Post by Syd »

The M&S food outlets work has four ‘card only’ self service units and two manned tills.

The contactless card only route is soooo much quicker and has the bonus you don’t needff C to talk to anyone.

I’ve had the same £20 note in my wallet for over a year now just in case the payment system ever went down.