Money during Covid

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
tatanab

Re: Money during Covid

Postby tatanab » 23 Mar 2020, 12:23pm

mjr wrote:This is why anonymous prepaid cards are important. Keep 'em guessing!
Thanks for that. I knew about prepaid cards for foreign travel, but don't have one. I had not considered one for domestic use. I will look into it and perhaps move with current times.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 23 Mar 2020, 12:27pm

pete75 wrote:I've heard a lot of places are either doing that or thinking of doing it. Won't be good for the elderly even if they do make it to the shops before they've been stripped.

I think the govt is bringing in laws to stop that happening. quite right too

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » 23 Mar 2020, 12:28pm

661-Pete wrote:
Tiberius wrote:With respect, get used to it. It is the way it's going and it suits me just fine.
I was once roundly told off for using the words "with respect" to start off a post. I was told it was extremely rude and tantamount to trolling.

Perhaps you should consider this. And lay off the patronising!

I'm 62, does that make me 'the elderly' ?
Well, I'm nearly 70, so I'm older than you. And possibly a bit wiser. :?

...WHAT ???.... :shock:

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 23 Mar 2020, 1:05pm

I usually use cash, however this morning I used contactless, because I can.

I figure its maybe one small contribution that might help the lady on the till, or someone who might get some contaminated change, I am (I hope) reducing the amount of cash in the till that might get contaminated. Its a small thing, and it may have no effect, but it makes me think about the hole process.

Our response to this, and the level of success, will depend on small things, millions of them.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 23 Mar 2020, 1:31pm

Cugel wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
Tiberius wrote:With respect, get used to it. It is the way it's going and it suits me just fine.
I was once roundly told off for using the words "with respect" to start off a post. I was told it was extremely rude and tantamount to trolling.

I'm 62, does that make me 'the elderly' ?

"Tiberius". Pseudonyms say a lot all by themselves, eh? :-)

Cugel (look it up).

Right again Cugel, you C-word, still waiting to learn the derivation of your pseudo-Nym
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

Patrickpioneer

Postby Patrickpioneer » 23 Mar 2020, 1:44pm

I just got back from taking my dog to the vet, the doors to the vets are locked and the vet meet me outside. Payment is by phone or online.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 23 Mar 2020, 1:48pm

tatanab wrote:
Thanks for that. I knew about prepaid cards for foreign travel, but don't have one. I had not considered one for domestic use. I will look into it and perhaps move with current times.

I have a couple but I don't think mine are anonymous. They are pre-paid Mastercard but use an account in my name that I top-up and keeps track of my transactions (I can look at on their web site).

Is mjr talking about different types of card?

Ian

emleyman

Postby emleyman » 23 Mar 2020, 2:42pm

I went to pick up a prescription from the pharmacy in our doctor's surgery on Friday. I only go there about once a year, so had forgotten that they don't take card payments at all - cash or cheques (with a bank card) only. I had to return to the car to retrieve my car park change to reach the £18 required. Once I'd handed over a £10 note and a handful of coins of various denominations to make the total, and she'd then carefully counted it all by hand, I thought I'd be asked to sign the prescription, but apparently the pharmacy are signing for me at the moment to prevent contamination! :shock:

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 23 Mar 2020, 3:03pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Cugel wrote:
661-Pete wrote:I was once roundly told off for using the words "with respect" to start off a post. I was told it was extremely rude and tantamount to trolling.

"Tiberius". Pseudonyms say a lot all by themselves, eh? :-)

Cugel (look it up).

Right again Cugel, you C-word, still waiting to learn the derivation of your pseudo-Nym

Cugel glimpses:

Cugel 3.jpg
Cugel reads a CUK post.

cugel 1.jpg
Cugel offers a glitter-meme.

Cugel

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 23 Mar 2020, 3:36pm

The little cafe / cake place I used on Sunday’s ride were doing just that ( Pallets in Beaulieu, in the New Forest ). Unfortunately they’ve now decided to shut completely until all this dies down, which is a shame, because it was working nicely.

softlips

Postby softlips » 23 Mar 2020, 4:28pm

Lots of places are already cash free, many cafes in London for example will not take your cash. My barber in Yorkshire only accepts cards too. I think the current crisis will speed up the demise of cash.

I travel in the Nordic / Scandic region a lot. In many areas you can’t buy anything without a card.

No problem for me as I very rarely carry cash.

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 23 Mar 2020, 5:19pm

rmurphy195 wrote:I usually use cash, however this morning I used contactless, because I can.

I figure its maybe one small contribution that might help the lady on the till, or someone who might get some contaminated change, I am (I hope) reducing the amount of cash in the till that might get contaminated. Its a small thing, and it may have no effect, but it makes me think about the hole process.

Our response to this, and the level of success, will depend on small things, millions of them.

Having checked, my debit card is apparently contactless - never used this facility, but does seem a helpful idea. Anyone know if I have to do anything to activate the function?

PH

Postby PH » 23 Mar 2020, 5:40pm

Psamathe wrote:
tatanab wrote:

I have a couple but I don't think mine are anonymous. They are pre-paid Mastercard but use an account in my name that I top-up and keeps track of my transactions (I can look at on their web site).

Is mjr talking about different types of card?

Ian

I have three prepaid debit cards, two UK (Pockit and Revolut) and one international (Weswap) none of them are anonymous. Not that I care who knows where I shop.
The Pockit one has had some reliability issues and also introduced some charges having originally been free. The Revolut card paired with a smart phone is very simple to use and replenish, the balance is available on the phone at any time and you get a text if it falls below £10, it's still free to use. The weswap can be used the same as the other two, but also offers peer to peer currency swaps which are usually better than I can get elsewhere.
I still carry a bit of cash, the technology can fail, but I'm using it less and less. As has already been said, all but the smallest of retailers would rather process card payments than cash, that's why they're keen on giving you cashback at the till.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 23 Mar 2020, 5:57pm

djnotts wrote:Having checked, my debit card is apparently contactless - never used this facility, but does seem a helpful idea. Anyone know if I have to do anything to activate the function?

I never have.
AFAIK it just works.

mjr

Postby mjr » 23 Mar 2020, 5:58pm

djnotts wrote:Having checked, my debit card is apparently contactless - never used this facility, but does seem a helpful idea. Anyone know if I have to do anything to activate the function?

Unless you asked for it to be disabled, it should be available from after your first chip and pin transaction.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.