Free beer?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Free beer?

Post by Mick F »

Now that all the pubs have closed, there must be barrels of beer(s) just sitting on the stillages.
Hundreds and thousands of licenced premises all vacant with beers and lagers just sitting in barrels going stale.

What's happening to it all?
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Re: Free beer?

Post by rjb »

Will end up in the discount supermarkets like Corona beer which is being sold in certain German discount supermarkets since the association with a new virus caused sales to slump.
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/lager-cider/corona/p24088
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Mick F wrote:Now that all the pubs have closed, there must be barrels of beer(s) just sitting on the stillages.
Hundreds and thousands of licenced premises all vacant with beers and lagers just sitting in barrels going stale.

What's happening to it all?

Lock ins ( probably ).
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

IIRC some stronger ales,Theakstons Old Peculier etc sour after 14 days or so.I'm not sure if that's 14 days after they're tapped though?
As for sitting in an untapped barrel seems like anything from 6 months to 2 years.
I'm sure the bif brewers will be OK.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Some pubs have been giving it away
PH

Post by PH »

If it returns to the breweries, they have a verified destruction program, it'll get mixed with the rest of the waste water. They'll then get a credit on the duty which is around 50p a pint.
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

cue the next environmental disaster :- loads of alcoholic fishes

drunk-fish-white-background-50509657.jpg
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I would have thought, with all this need for hand sanitiser, the beer could be distilled to make raw alcohol - which could then be turned into sanitiser. "Swords into ploughshares*", sort of.

*(well I would use that cliché, wouldn't I? what with my anti-booze crusade...)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

661-Pete wrote:I would have thought, with all this need for hand sanitiser, the beer could be distilled to make raw alcohol - which could then be turned into sanitiser. "Swords into ploughshares*", sort of.

Some of them are. https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/03/brewd ... sermaking/
Various gin distilleries around the country are doing the same, and asking for the chancellor to waive the duty on the alcohol they distill for this purpose.

My nearest local pub was selling off its real ale for £1 a pint last week (takeaway only, bring your own container). All gone now.
PH

Post by PH »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:cue the next environmental disaster :- loads of alcoholic fishes

hahaha
I think it's twenty liters of water to make one of beer (I could be wrong, but it's a lot) so it's well watered down even before it goes for treatment.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Fact is stranger than fiction, fishing with beer, worth watching all the way to the end.
7 minutes 35 long, mad as a box of frogs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
Nu-Fogey
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

maybe in Czech Republic 1.3m pints of the stuff

An appeal has been launched in the Czech Republic to "save" the equivalent of 1,305,552 pints of craft beer that will go off "within weeks" if it is not drunk.

The beer is languishing undrunk in barrels in 32 craft breweries across the country. All pubs and restaurants are closed to the public (they can serve through hatches) but customers can buy direct from breweries.

Pale lager as we know it was invented in the Czech city of Pilsen in 1842. The Czech Republic has the highest per capita beer consumption in the world.

If you’re in the Czech Republic and think you can help, see: https://zachranpivo.cz/
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Passed a pub yesterday with a sign outside saying open, business as usual.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PH wrote:
fullupandslowingdown wrote:cue the next environmental disaster :- loads of alcoholic fishes

hahaha
I think it's twenty liters of water to make one of beer (I could be wrong, but it's a lot) so it's well watered down even before it goes for treatment.

I used to make my own beer and virtually all the water you us ends up in the beer. For example making 9 gallons you'd use about five and a half gallons for the mash then use about one and a half gallons to rinse the grains making it up to about seven gallons. You then boil this with the hops for about 90 minutes. Then strain off into a fermenting bin and top up to nine gallons with water. Making allowance for evaporation in the hop boiling, liquid staying in the hops it's still likely under ten gallons of water to make nine of beer.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

pete75 wrote:....
I used to make my own beer and virtually all the water you us ends up in the beer. For example making 9 gallons you'd use about five and a half gallons for the mash then use about one and a half gallons to rinse the grains making it up to about seven gallons. You then boil this with the hops for about 90 minutes. Then strain off into a fermenting bin and top up to nine gallons with water. Making allowance for evaporation in the hop boiling, liquid staying in the hops it's still likely under ten gallons of water to make nine of beer.

Rinse the grains !!!! hats of to you for doing it the proper way.
I use a wilko's kit and add an extra 5Kg of sugar to a 25L fermentation bin :D
I noticed most of wilko's beer and wine stock was gone this week, as I was thinking of another wine brewing. Put that copper pipe I've been collecting for 4 years to good use 8)