Bucking the trend: Some good news (maybe)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
llayercake

Bucking the trend: Some good news (maybe)

Postby llayercake » 26 Mar 2020, 9:48am

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... eam-damage

I just read this report re the ozone layer. Sounds positive to a layman like me.

It's also based on a study so there's plenty of room for folk to argue about it's validity as well. A win win scenario :wink: .

Cyril Haearn

Re: Bucking the trend: Some good news (maybe)

Postby Cyril Haearn » 26 Mar 2020, 11:25am

Right again, over to you Greta :wink:
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 27 Mar 2020, 12:52pm

I live on a village green. I tend to know most people who visit to walk their dogs and of course most people in the village.

These last few days I have done my daily early morning walk and seen more and more people who until now have barely ventured out without a car. And each one or family group, whilst keeping their distance, exchanged cheery "Good Morning".

The bird song seems louder, too. Minimum traffic.
John

llayercake

Postby llayercake » 27 Mar 2020, 4:23pm

Some one told me today that the fish have returned to Venice.

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 27 Mar 2020, 11:32pm

llayercake wrote:Some one told me today that the fish have returned to Venice.

first the cod wars, now this....

llayercake

Postby llayercake » 27 Mar 2020, 11:46pm

fullupandslowingdown wrote:

first the cod wars, now this....

Yeah, somewhere in a pond, far, far away....

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 28 Mar 2020, 9:19am

That may be fake news

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/an ... s-life/amp

Plus of course any watercourse where turbidity caused by human activity is lessened means you're more likely to see fish, doesn't mean they weren't there all the time.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 28 Mar 2020, 9:49am

No, the fish were always there, but they couldn't be seen because the boat traffic caused sediment to cloud the water (think canals in winter vs summer)

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 28 Mar 2020, 11:12am

Oldjohnw wrote:I live on a village green. I tend to know most people who visit to walk their dogs and of course most people in the village.

These last few days I have done my daily early morning walk and seen more and more people who until now have barely ventured out without a car. And each one or family group, whilst keeping their distance, exchanged cheery "Good Morning".

Interesting one here about such areas.

Locally we have beaches and green areas, which some people use for recreation. In theory, done sensibly with correct distancing and appropriate timing, that is not a problem. It complies with all the social distancing regulations

Locally though there is now a campaign for these areas to be locked down and restricted to local residents only. If you don't live within a mile of teh beach you should not be allowed to use it.

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 28 Mar 2020, 11:23am

Cunobelin wrote:Locally though there is now a campaign for these areas to be locked down and restricted to local residents only. If you don't live within a mile of teh beach you should not be allowed to use it.

Though minimising travel at this time is being advised it begs two questions.

1. Who would police it?

2. What about people who walk onto the beach from, say, three miles away (this assumes of course it's not a bay with inaccessible headlands at either end)?

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 28 Mar 2020, 1:02pm

Cunobelin wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I live on a village green. I tend to know most people who visit to walk their dogs and of course most people in the village.

Interesting one here about such areas.

Locally we have beaches and green areas, which some people use for recreation. In theory, done sensibly with correct distancing and appropriate timing, that is not a problem. It complies with all the social distancing regulations

Locally though there is now a campaign for these areas to be locked down and restricted to local residents only. If you don't live within a mile of teh beach you should not be allowed to use it.

That’s an interesting thought, what’s local? In rural areas a mile to the shops is nothing so if we restrict travel too much then parts of the country will starve, maybe some of the people who don’t want others on their beach ... seems equitable to me. Car travel to distant beauty spots has rightly (IMHO) been strongly discouraged but what’s a reasonable distance to go to get away from the (infectious) crowds and take (health supporting) exercise in sunshine and fresh air? If I cycled to the beach as part of my hour’s exercise would that be OK or is it theirs and only theirs? Selfishness, self protection or what?

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 28 Mar 2020, 1:24pm

a few years ago even without access to a ANPR system, the ecilop would have generally been able to spot outoftowners very easily by the reg numbers. So for instance L123RRA spotted in Carlisle, or M321HHA spotted in Snottingham would immediately arise suspicion.

Whether or not you believe this coronavirus is the deadly threat it is, or not is as irrelevant as if you believe the earth is flat. Common sense born from decades of experience should tell folk that continually pushing at the boundaries usually results in those boundaries been strengthened, not abandoned. If selfish carstools by repeatedly travelling silly distances for exercise, results in the lock down been tightened, then a few punctures might not go amiss IMHO.

llayercake

Postby llayercake » 28 Mar 2020, 1:55pm

fullupandslowingdown wrote:a few years ago even without access to a ANPR system, the ecilop would have generally been able to spot outoftowners very easily by the reg numbers. So for instance L123RRA spotted in Carlisle, or M321HHA spotted in Snottingham would immediately arise suspicion.

Whether or not you believe this coronavirus is the deadly threat it is, or not is as irrelevant as if you believe the earth is flat. Common sense born from decades of experience should tell folk that continually pushing at the boundaries usually results in those boundaries been strengthened, not abandoned. If selfish carstools by repeatedly travelling silly distances for exercise, results in the lock down been tightened, then a few punctures might not go amiss IMHO.

Lowest common denominator policing is where it will probably end up. Really hope it doesn't though.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 29 Mar 2020, 11:50am

fullupandslowingdown wrote:a few years ago even without access to a ANPR system, the ecilop would have generally been able to spot outoftowners very easily by the reg numbers. So for instance L123RRA spotted in Carlisle, or M321HHA spotted in Snottingham would immediately arise suspicion.

I am in trouble then, my car is SL Clackmannanshire.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 29 Mar 2020, 11:52am

llayercake wrote:

Lowest common denominator policing is where it will probably end up. Really hope it doesn't though.

What are silly distances.... I know of a couple of lovely very quiet spots which involve a 5-mile trip, and lots of nearer that are far busier and less appropriate. where is the balance