Time on your hands or slow the goddamn threads down thread!!!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Time on your hands or slow the goddamn threads down thread!!!

Post by Tangled Metal »

Seriously, I'm gone half an hour and popular threads have moved 3 or 4 pages on!

I think people need more hobbies on here. Anyone got a craft to do? There's Cugels carpentry to marvel at if he ever posts more pictures. Others must have things to do than post on here???

Me? I'm hiding from a caged in 7 year old. This forum and internet is just about the quietest thing I can do to avoid his notice. I'm also not crafty type. All my activities are forbidden until lockdown is over.
merseymouth

Re: Time on your hands or slow the goddamn threads down thread!!!

Post by merseymouth »

Hi There, Start skinning the 7 yer-old at cards for the pocket money! Cheat if need be, give them a life lesson, not always fair i it?
Or maybe teach the nipper to play chess a game for life! TTFN MM
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Talking of cards.... simply wading through all the E-mails is taking a sizeable chunk of my daily activities. At present the Bridge club I go to (which has of course suspended meetings) is arguing and debating about how to continue playing bridge online. I've had no fewer than twenty-seven E-mails just today, on that very subject. Trouble is, the online bridge sites are rapidly becoming overloaded...

Presumably other face-to-face activities like chess (which I don't play) are also trying to switch to online - with similar problems.

And Mrs P has got to be on Skype quite a lot of the time for her Council work. They tried WhatsApp, and then Zoom, but neither of them seemed to work properly for what they needed, so they moved to Skype. Easier!

Our U3A French conversation group also wanted to go online. Mrs P and I declined to join in. Just too much!

But I still have time to post rubbish on this forum..... :oops:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Teach my 7 year old to chat?!!! I'm shocked! Shocked that you think he doesn't already know how to cheat. He's been doing that off his own bat from when we first started to play games with him. He's getting better at subtle cheating too. He'll do an obvious cheat to hide another, subtle one. Too bright for own good!!!

Chess? Snore!! Great game, I learnt the basics from my dad when very young. Can't abide it though. It's too dull and slow. Not my tastes. Son likes it but loses interest too. A bit too much like me I think. Backgammon I quite like and cribbage. Not played cribbage since my grandfather died so very rusty.

As to pocket money? Well Tesco's sell hotwheel cars, he gets 25p change from his pocket money. Hardly worth cheating him out of that. Best time to wait is after Xmas. He gets a rather lot of money from the outlaws then.

Am I be right about people spending more time on here? Threads are whistling thru the pages while I'm otherwise engaged. Makes it hard to keep up. I've given that up and only read the last page. So I'm probably repeating what others have already said. Does v anyone actually read all posts when it's this active?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Morzedec wrote:Tang, similar vein: please see my Tea Pot 'Little Bet' post.

If the name for gumming up a drain is a 'Fatberg', what shall we call those who block up this Forum?

Happy days,

Glad to see you're keeping your distance there, possibly for reasons other than vivid!!!¡ :wink:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

661-Pete wrote:Talking of cards.... simply wading through all the E-mails is taking a sizeable chunk of my daily activities. At present the Bridge club I go to (which has of course suspended meetings) is arguing and debating about how to continue playing bridge online. I've had no fewer than twenty-seven E-mails just today, on that very subject. Trouble is, the online bridge sites are rapidly becoming overloaded...

Presumably other face-to-face activities like chess (which I don't play) are also trying to switch to online - with similar problems.

And Mrs P has got to be on Skype quite a lot of the time for her Council work. They tried WhatsApp, and then Zoom, but neither of them seemed to work properly for what they needed, so they moved to Skype. Easier!

Our U3A French conversation group also wanted to go online. Mrs P and I declined to join in. Just too much!

But I still have time to post rubbish on this forum..... :oops:

Hi Pete, looks like your "Heading for Extinction" sign was probably right. Never mind about the bridge, we'll all soon be extinct anyway. Comes from eating snakes and bats etc :(

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

661-Pete wrote:...... Trouble is, the online bridge sites are rapidly becoming overloaded...

Presumably other face-to-face activities like chess (which I don't play) are also trying to switch to online - with similar problems.......

ah the good old days. We used to send our chess partners our latest move via the post. The same long bit of paper, each in turn writing our move the next line down then sending it back. The speed of snail mail now, it would be tortuous especially over the weekend.

edition: thinking about it, one could tell the postie which supermarket queue one was waiting in, and have it posted there...

thought #2 how many previous epidemics were spread by posties or telegram boys?

thought #3 can you send a virus electronically and now have it made using a 3D printer?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:
661-Pete wrote:...... Trouble is, the online bridge sites are rapidly becoming overloaded...

Presumably other face-to-face activities like chess (which I don't play) are also trying to switch to online - with similar problems.......

ah the good old days. We used to send our chess partners our latest move via the post. The same long bit of paper, each in turn writing our move the next line down then sending it back. The speed of snail mail now, it would be tortuous especially over the weekend.

edition: thinking about it, one could tell the postie which supermarket queue one was waiting in, and have it posted there...

thought #2 how many previous epidemics were spread by posties or telegram boys?

thought #3 can you send a virus electronically and now have it made using a 3D printer?

why do the viruses look like WW2 sea mines?

Cugel

Post by Cugel »

merseymouth wrote:Hi There, Start skinning the 7 yer-old at cards for the pocket money! Cheat if need be, give them a life lesson, not always fair i it?
Or maybe teach the nipper to play chess a game for life! TTFN MM

I have two (two!) grand daughters who are expert at the card-cheating. It's my own fault as 'twas me wot foolishly suggested that we play bridge with piles of old copper coins as rewards for the points. This stimulated their large cheater-gene (got from their grandmother, nothing to do with moi).

They would like to play with $100 or even £1000 chips but luckily there are only old coins my father-in-law collected when a schoolboy in Darlington. They would card-sharp me out of the next 29 years pension (the amount I hope to collect by living to 100, despite the lurgies no doubt sweeping us all away a few at a time). They have no shame and if caught merely adopt a pout and demand more chocolate cake. (When I go for these GD treats is the opportunity they employ to re-arrange the cards to their liking).

As to Tangled's plea for summick to do other than look with alarm at the madness going on even here, well .... time to try a craft then. Is he to remain manually inept forever! A nice cheap one is paper-mache, which is not easy btw. This is the best use for newspap, which one should never read but reduce to the wet pulp it truly is. Some inspiration, in the form of Juanita Humphry' Bringer Birds, is pictured. These come alive in the night, flying off to steal the jewels and such then bringing them back to me.

Juanita Humphris bringer-birds-2.jpg

Juanita Humphris bringer-birds-1.jpg

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

al_yrpal wrote:
Hi Pete, looks like your "Heading for Extinction" sign was probably right. Never mind about the bridge, we'll all soon be extinct anyway. Comes from eating snakes and bats etc :(

Al

And voting for BrexityToryob. :-)
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cugel wrote:I have two (two!) grand daughters who are expert at the card-cheating. It's my own fault as 'twas me wot foolishly suggested that we play bridge with piles of old copper coins as rewards for the points. This stimulated their large cheater-gene (got from their grandmother, nothing to do with moi) .... (When I go for these GD treats is the opportunity they employ to re-arrange the cards to their liking).
Indeed! Could you hire out said GDs to me - at least once live bridge becomes possible again? All my bridge-playing life I've been dreaming of picking up this hand: :roll:

Hasn't happened - yet.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

661-Pete wrote:
Cugel wrote:I have two (two!) grand daughters who are expert at the card-cheating. It's my own fault as 'twas me wot foolishly suggested that we play bridge with piles of old copper coins as rewards for the points. This stimulated their large cheater-gene (got from their grandmother, nothing to do with moi) .... (When I go for these GD treats is the opportunity they employ to re-arrange the cards to their liking).
Indeed! Could you hire out said GDs to me - at least once live bridge becomes possible again? All my bridge-playing life I've been dreaming of picking up this hand: :roll:

Hasn't happened - yet.

Such hirelings would soon leave you penniless and bereft of all other valuables an' all. They don't mind who they cheat as even their doting grand father is made victim to their wiles and subterfuges with the cards and coins; and subject to other cruel procedures which seem to give them a larf.

One is now a policewoman and will surely catch all the bad persons by a process in which she imagines what she herself would do if she could get away with it then goes to nick the naive who thought they really could get away with it so did it. She will soon be depleting the charge of her taser at an alarming rate, possibly upon cyclists doing more than 10 minutes a day or dressing in lycra.

T'other is still a bairn but able to outwit all adults whilst also beating them at 14 different sports they thought they were good at. She does this despite consuming enormous amounts of grub and remaining thin as a lath.

Frightening creatures! My advice: don't annoy them. I never do. Well, only inadvertently, every time they see me. I'll probably have to buy a taser-protection vest and try much harder in the gymnasium.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

I've got less time on my hands because of the corona crisis. I still work full time but now I have to use more of my free time shopping searching for the items I want to buy as those with time on their hands during the emergency are obviously spending hours every day indulging in their selfish and boredom relieving shopping, resulting in lots of empty shelves.

We should ban the idle from shops for 4 days a week, including weekends.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

carpetcleaner wrote:We should ban the idle from shops for 4 days a week, including weekends.
I'd go along with that idea - to some extent. Perhaps each household should have a designated 'shopping day' - only on that day of the week would they be allowed to go shopping. Help spread the load. Carry a card (or download a phone app) and show it to the 'bouncer' at the door (most supermarkets have now installed a bouncer).

Would that work? Trouble for us is, seeing as we cycle-shop, two visits per week is the usual minimum (we don't have a trailer, only panniers).

I suppose you'd call us OAPs 'idle' - please yourself! Remember that some of us are less agile than younger folks.
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

carpetcleaner wrote:I've got less time on my hands because of the corona crisis. I still work full time but now I have to use more of my free time shopping searching for the items I want to buy as those with time on their hands during the emergency are obviously spending hours every day indulging in their selfish and boredom relieving shopping, resulting in lots of empty shelves.

We should ban the idle from shops for 4 days a week, including weekends.

I wondered why Boris was self isolating, it's because his supporters aren't active enough deflecting from his incompetent and divisive handling of the crisis.