Obituaries

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tinpotflowers

Obituaries

Postby Tinpotflowers » 28 Mar 2020, 9:10am

Obituaries

Give the current situation in the UK and all over the world I know this is a morbid subject but here goes.

I notice since the removal of the Obituaries from “CYCLE” that the number submission has gone down https://www.cyclinguk.org/about/obituaries

Even though the web-based format could permit a greater contribution, and, in many formats, this has not materialized.

Given by nature of our outdoor activities our members should healthy/fitter than many in the population we can’t avoid the fact many of our members are very mature.

Therefore, with a heavy heart, I dread that a few of our members may be taken by a coronavirus (COVID-19)?

With that in mind should we instigate Obituaries thread on this forum both for those taken by the virus but others who left us by other means.

What others view?

carpetcleaner

Re: Obituaries

Postby carpetcleaner » 28 Mar 2020, 9:43am

It was a shame that the obituaries disappeared from the magazine, but I suppose that was to be expected when it ceased to be a publication aimed at members of a club and became little more than a propaganda sheet for a corporate charity chasing government grants by jumping through all the equality and diversity hoops necessary to have any chance of getting them.

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 28 Mar 2020, 9:49am

Tinpotflowers wrote:With that in mind should we instigate Obituaries thread on this forum both for those taken by the virus but others who left us by other means.

What others view?

The practical issue is will every obituary be accurate and objectively written? Posting something inaccurate could upset a recently bereaved relative or family and as we we well know on this forum people frequently assume a subjective stance without really realising it.

That leads on to a second point, which is that it could mean people commenting on obituaries to correct mistakes, perceived or not. If this is unseemly you're back to creating offence.

As a concept it seems fine, in practice you may be opening a can of worms.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 28 Mar 2020, 12:27pm

I think a simple announcement, forwarded from next-of-kin, has been the practice on this, and other forums, for quite a while now. Let that suffice?

Amateur astronomers tend to be an unhealthier lot than cyclists, so I remember, back on the astronomy forums, there was a sad announcement every so often. One guy used to post in graphic details about his cardiovascular problems and the treatment he had to undergo (including an amputation). Eventually his death was announced.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

ambodach

Postby ambodach » 28 Mar 2020, 1:53pm

A simple announcement is enough. Obituaries are seldom accurate as usually only written from one person's viewpoint. I have seen some glowing tributes to some people who were utter scoundrels so it depends on your own experience.

Bazza55

Postby Bazza55 » 2 Apr 2020, 2:47pm

Have to agree totally with "Carpetcleaner". The decision to exclude obituaries from the magazine was another nail in the coffin (excuse the pun) of the CTC's (Cycling UK) reputation in the eyes of many of the members. It is also further evidence that the organisation treats members as a necessary inconvenience.

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 2 Apr 2020, 7:40pm

Bazza55 wrote:Have to agree totally with "Carpetcleaner". The decision to exclude obituaries from the magazine was another nail in the coffin (excuse the pun) of the CTC's (Cycling UK) reputation in the eyes of many of the members. It is also further evidence that the organisation treats members as a necessary inconvenience.

I suspect it's the same youth-ing-isation that many businesses have undergone over the last decade or so in order to compete for the assumed greater youth market. Youngsters don't want to, or see the need to read about dead folk when they themselves are blooming full of vigour and spirit.

IMHO the chain Maplins went bust because of this. It thought it's future laid with enticing the latest generation with plastic gadgets, rather than what used to be it's bread and butter in the 80s of electronic components. It never really managed to compete in a crowded market against ebay and amazon for cheap plastic gadgets, and dismissed it's previous core customers looking for a wide range of electronic components who weren't all that interested either with ride on toy cars and glitter balls. It's prices weren't as competitive either towards the end. I have to use RS now which always used to be considered as the more expensive outlet.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 2 Apr 2020, 7:44pm

Peopl do post on here when long term members or folks reknown in the cycling community have died.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom