Honesty? Wuhan death toll

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Honesty?

Post by reohn2 »

MM,one must consider what causes brought about such a two tier(haves and have nots) society :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:This video is a bit of a revalation. Years ago I was allowed into Enfield Borough Council's video surveillance centre and feeling very uncomfortable with what I saw, a bank of about 30 screens and three uniformed folk controlling the cameras and occasionally issueing "pick it up" commands through the speakers to litter louts. What dismayed me was that as far as I was aware there were no controls in law about video surveillance?

But in China video surveillance has been taken to a new level...
BBC News - Coronavirus: How China's using surveillance to tackle outbreak
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52104798

Possibly, with surveillance to this level China has been able to enforce lockdown more successfully than us and that is the reason for the claims that things are now under control?

Al

The present government would like similar measures look at Mother Teresa's surveillance law attempts.

What I find strange is that China can pinpoint individuals breaking their strict lockdown laws but are unable to police the diabolical animal husbandry which seems to be a feature of their street markets,given the SARS/Ebola/MERS outbreaks being traced to such disgraceful practices you'd have thought it a priority,not to mention some of more exotic Chinese medicine practices.Tiger penis anyone? :twisted:

so the plague markets are open again in China?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/chinas-wet-markets-like-one-21799425

its obvious that some who came to europe had some kind of contact with these plague markets?

seems in future time to check any one coming from China, as some have such disgusting eating habits?
Last edited by mercalia on 2 Apr 2020, 5:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
al_yrpal

Re: Honesty? Wuhan death toll

Post by al_yrpal »

In 1984 I remember seeing one of these markets in Dalian China and other disgusting things being killed and sold on street corners. It's amazing to think that 36 years later that these sort of practices are still going on.
Add to that the slaughter of Elephants Rhino and Pangolin and you get the picture of how precious and rare animals are regarded in the Far East...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

I find myself in some difficulty as I do believe that some aspects of Chinese Traditional Medicine are sound, such as acupuncture. But as a lifelong animal rights guy I have never accepted this continued belief in magic potions made from animals's bits and pieces. Their efficacy often seems to be based on some vague visual or spiritual resemblance between an animals part, and either the disease been treated or the organ effected. Such as using testicles etc to improve virility. "donkey, goat, dog, bull and deer" for instance. Or the use of animals horns for the same.

And as for the conditions animals are kept in before slaughter, or method of slaughter.

It is totally reprehensible that for instance some animals are skinned alive to produce better quality pelts for the clothing industry. But how many of you have had boiled lobster or such? Why do some people refuse to consider that maybe fish and crustaceans can feel pain? Then there is the barbaric practice of foie gras. Some of you humans have spent a lifetime making animals suffer for your palate or wardrobe. Others using animals as entertainment such as shooting in bred pheasants too stupid to think. Or racing horses over courses designed for thrills and spills. Or hunting foxes with dogs bred solely for hunting - then bizarrely complaining that with the ban on hunting, they will have to put down their dogs. It's all two faced hypocrisy of the highest order. Need I mention the continued use of laboratory animals despite the proven failures of drugs tested as safe on animals going on to harm humans. At least the barbaric practice of testing cosmetics on animals in this country at least has largely ended. Anyone for shampoo in their eyes for 14 days and been restrained from moving at all?

So honestly, if the question on the lips of the western world wasn't "did the virus start in a wildlife market as a consequence of poor animal welfare practices?" how many of all you apoplexic from righteous indignation from Johnie foreigner's foreign ways, would be campaigning for better animal rights anyway?

Bloody humans :cry:
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi, Acupuncture is a therapy, the use of innumerable animal elements, requiring wholesale slaughter is nothing less than Alchemy with fingers crossed! Dark ages practises from a very backward looking country. Sad. MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:I find myself in some difficulty as I do believe that some aspects of Chinese Traditional Medicine are sound, such as acupuncture. But as a lifelong animal rights guy I have never accepted this continued belief in magic potions made from animals's bits and pieces. Their efficacy often seems to be based on some vague visual or spiritual resemblance between an animals part, and either the disease been treated or the organ effected. Such as using testicles etc to improve virility. "donkey, goat, dog, bull and deer" for instance. Or the use of animals horns for the same.

And as for the conditions animals are kept in before slaughter, or method of slaughter.

It is totally reprehensible that for instance some animals are skinned alive to produce better quality pelts for the clothing industry. But how many of you have had boiled lobster or such? Why do some people refuse to consider that maybe fish and crustaceans can feel pain? Then there is the barbaric practice of foie gras. Some of you humans have spent a lifetime making animals suffer for your palate or wardrobe. Others using animals as entertainment such as shooting in bred pheasants too stupid to think. Or racing horses over courses designed for thrills and spills. Or hunting foxes with dogs bred solely for hunting - then bizarrely complaining that with the ban on hunting, they will have to put down their dogs. It's all two faced hypocrisy of the highest order. Need I mention the continued use of laboratory animals despite the proven failures of drugs tested as safe on animals going on to harm humans. At least the barbaric practice of testing cosmetics on animals in this country at least has largely ended. Anyone for shampoo in their eyes for 14 days and been restrained from moving at all?

So honestly, if the question on the lips of the western world wasn't "did the virus start in a wildlife market as a consequence of poor animal welfare practices?" how many of all you apoplexic from righteous indignation from Johnie foreigner's foreign ways, would be campaigning for better animal rights anyway?

Bloody humans :cry:

many of those things only apply to a few of us (foie gras never seen any - Harrods I suppose?) & you could apply the disgust to eating meat of any kind? Any way none precipitates the world into the chaos that the eating habits of some chinese have? Thats the main point. China should be quarrantined