C19 - Ending The Lockdown

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: C19 - Ending The Lockdown

Post by kwackers »

99.9%certain wrote:Now it's 1m.
THE most sensible thing the Govt has done throughout this whole fiasco!

I never thought i'd see the day when i actually agree with something the Tories say!!!!!

Is it? How would you know?

The basic problem is that you and me have no way of knowing how the virus spreads. We only assume the gov does but tbh I suspect even that's not true and they're just making it up as they go along.

One thing that does seem to happen is that when there's an infection in an enclosed space it runs fairly rampantly through all those people in that space - which suggests that if you're going to allow folk to be close to each other then you should expect fairly decent transmission.

So in terms of "sensible" there's simply no way of knowing - unless you're a supporter of simply letting it run rampant through the population.

The government has been inept in its response from day one, but then we deliberately voted in inept politicians so in that respect the problem is entirely ours.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I never thought i'd see the day when i actually agree with something the Tories say!!!!!

You could perhaps explain *why* you think this is sensible?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Until theres a vaccination with odd experts popping up issueing dire warnings I and my aged pals will be continuing to remain very careful. Great to see increased assistance for the homeless. Its a pity it took a pandemic to get some action. Much still to do though.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

al_yrpal wrote:Until theres a vaccination with odd experts popping up issueing dire warnings I and my aged pals will be continuing to remain very careful. Great to see increased assistance for the homeless. Its a pity it took a pandemic to get some action. Much still to do though.

Al

Precisely so.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I agree with Al.

I agree with Al.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I think the 1 metre rule only protects you if you are near a card reader and spending money.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
[XAP]Bob

Re: 2 metre rule

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The utility cyclist wrote:Again many German scientists/experts within the German government state that the threat is massively less than first thought/imagined
2 metres, in fact any social distancing other than if you were going to visit a frail/vulnerable person and you were actually showing symptoms is ludicrous and always was.
Locking down has killed tens of thousands more in the UK and hundreds of thousands more yet is still far short of the deaths from influenza
http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/fe ... tvFChhSauY

I delved into the stats on another thread...

Hundreds of thousands is a little bit of an exaggeration - I assumed that the early signs of the year (about 400-500 people a month fewer than the 5 year average) continued and only came up with 65k surplus deaths this year.

The vast majority of those deaths are officially covid related - though there were some at the start which were probably mislabelled as flu/pneumonia exclusively.
I haven't looked at the other obvious stats (road deaths and suicide rates) to see what the change has been in those.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Not all have an agenda but as elsewhere, simply following the rest because not to do so is a career ender at best, however in this case it's killing people. they should all be held accountable.
But tell me, what aspect of the numbers do you not believe, as I've always said, the actual deaths FROM respiratory diseases that I've ever given on here are direct from the register of deaths at ONS. Even with the manipulation (by government) of how doctors can attribute C.19 to a death certificate, the numbers still do not stack up for locking down, nor social distancing within healthy people (asymptomatic people rarely spread any virus orally as per WHO) and certainly not the threat to public health that is being made out, nowhere near in fact!
mjr

Post by mjr »

150 deaths a day even after months of lockdown is not a threat to public health? We must have different definitions of a health threat!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

July the 4th will be the make or break event. If having bars and restaurants and so on and so forth re open, doesn’t result in another exponential death curve, then that’s fine, if it does, we’ll all be back under harsh lockdown before you can say The Black Death.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

This thread has been moderated. Please refrain from snide remarks, insults, etc, or this thread will go the way the others have.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Note that part of the thread has been removed. The thread on stats has be reopened & some material moved there, viewtopic.php?f=15&t=136714&p=1501002#p1501002

Please use that thread for discussions about statistics.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Today I received a government email advising on claiming from the EU for support during the pandemic.
John
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Oldjohnw wrote:Today I received a government email advising on claiming from the EU for support during the pandemic.

not sure that's ontopic to be honest john.
Sweep