Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75
Posts: 13422
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Postby pete75 » 15 Apr 2020, 11:08pm

carpetcleaner wrote:
pete75 wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
I meant anti-Brexit. Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

Just for fun I'll remind everyone of my favourite anti-Brexit Guardian article where the author, a professor of history, claims that leaving the EU would make the UK the most hated country in the world.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ted-nation


Yes you're calling it a mistake now it's been corrected for you. Let's be charitable and say it was a misunderstanding.

Well as it probably already close to being so that was that's an easy prediction.


Plenty of people seem to quite like the UK, not least the 3 million EU nationals who want to stay here, the inhabitants of the Calais camp and the people who risk their lives in container lorries and tiny boats trying to get here.

A poor opinion of the UK is quite fashionable among certain people and I get the feeling they think that their view is more widely held than it is.

They should get out more. Not now of course, but when things return to normal.


Oh how predicable. You and your alter ego have been parroting that one for years now.

It's your version of Britain - the nationalist, populist, inward looking ,intolerant, bigoted country that many have a poor opinion of.

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Postby carpetcleaner » 16 Apr 2020, 10:11am

pete75 wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Yes you're calling it a mistake now it's been corrected for you. Let's be charitable and say it was a misunderstanding.

Well as it probably already close to being so that was that's an easy prediction.


Plenty of people seem to quite like the UK, not least the 3 million EU nationals who want to stay here, the inhabitants of the Calais camp and the people who risk their lives in container lorries and tiny boats trying to get here.

A poor opinion of the UK is quite fashionable among certain people and I get the feeling they think that their view is more widely held than it is.

They should get out more. Not now of course, but when things return to normal.


Oh how predicable. You and your alter ego have been parroting that one for years now.

It's your version of Britain - the nationalist, populist, inward looking ,intolerant, bigoted country that many have a poor opinion of.


I work with people from EU states who are very happy to stay here and say the UK is a better place to live than their home countries for a variety of social and economic reasons. They seem unaware that the UK is the horrible, racist bigoted place described by its miserable critics.

I think the UK is a great place to live and work too.

Of course some people moan about it and claim it is much worse than other countries, but I think that all countries probably have a minority of moaners who are always disappointed in their compatriots because they imagine themselves to be wiser and more caring than the average person.

Ben@Forest
Posts: 2559
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Postby Ben@Forest » 16 Apr 2020, 10:37am

carpetcleaner wrote:Of course some people moan about it and claim it is much worse than other countries, but I think that all countries probably have a minority of moaners who are always disappointed in their compatriots because they imagine themselves to be wiser and more caring than the average person.


There's a strange duality between people who have experienced little of life outside the UK and who think it's better here than anywhere else and people who have experienced little of life outside the UK and who think it's better nearly anywhere else than the UK.

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Postby carpetcleaner » 16 Apr 2020, 10:43am

Ben@Forest wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:Of course some people moan about it and claim it is much worse than other countries, but I think that all countries probably have a minority of moaners who are always disappointed in their compatriots because they imagine themselves to be wiser and more caring than the average person.


There's a strange duality between people who have experienced little of life outside the UK and who think it's better here than anywhere else and people who have experienced little of life outside the UK and who think it's better nearly anywhere else than the UK.


I think we can assume that the 3 million EU people who have applied to stay here after Brexit is completed have some considerable experience of life outside the UK.

They probably have more than the typical moaning Brit who goes abroad for his holidays or perhaps to work for a bit.

Psamathe
Posts: 11560
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Postby Psamathe » 16 Apr 2020, 12:53pm

Interesting review of Hancock's "badge scheme"
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/matt-hancock-badge-for-carers-daily-address-coronavirus-update-uk-a9467486.html wrote:What’s the single most embarrassing thing about Matt Hancock’s ‘badge for carers’? I’ll give you a minute
Is it:

a) The fact that Matt Hancock is in the middle of a national scandal, in which entirely unknown thousands of people are dying in care homes, cared for by staff who haven’t been provided with the proper protective equipment to do their jobs safely, and who have now been given, instead of the masks, gowns and gloves they urgently need, a small badge with the word “care” written on it?

Or is it:

b) The fact that said newly announced badge isn’t actually newly announced at all? It was announced more than a year ago but is yet to actually be delivered, meaning that the tiny little badge is only available now to be deployed as a pin-sized arse-covering exercise because of the fortuitous result of broken promises this time last year.
...

Ian

reohn2
Posts: 40137
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Postby reohn2 » 16 Apr 2020, 2:29pm

Psamathe wrote:Interesting review of Hancock's "badge scheme"
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/matt-hancock-badge-for-carers-daily-address-coronavirus-update-uk-a9467486.html wrote:What’s the single most embarrassing thing about Matt Hancock’s ‘badge for carers’? I’ll give you a minute
Is it:

a) The fact that Matt Hancock is in the middle of a national scandal, in which entirely unknown thousands of people are dying in care homes, cared for by staff who haven’t been provided with the proper protective equipment to do their jobs safely, and who have now been given, instead of the masks, gowns and gloves they urgently need, a small badge with the word “care” written on it?

Or is it:

b) The fact that said newly announced badge isn’t actually newly announced at all? It was announced more than a year ago but is yet to actually be delivered, meaning that the tiny little badge is only available now to be deployed as a pin-sized arse-covering exercise because of the fortuitous result of broken promises this time last year.
...

Ian

Should we be surprised at anything this pathetic bunch of out of their depth public schoolboys will attempt,to divert attention from their abject failure to do the primary office of government,which is to protect it's citizens ?

They become more inept by the day!
-----------------------------------------------------------

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Postby carpetcleaner » 16 Apr 2020, 3:09pm

Once people see this new badge the difficulties recruiting care home staff will disappear.

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Postby carpetcleaner » 16 Apr 2020, 3:32pm

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... tus-scheme

A massive vote of confidence in the UK!

Psamathe
Posts: 11560
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Postby Psamathe » 16 Apr 2020, 3:37pm

carpetcleaner wrote:Once people see this new badge the difficulties recruiting care home staff will disappear.

Could you clarify as to why? My initial thought it was a joke but no smileys (but then I virtually never use smileys either so I'm uncertain).

Ian

reohn2
Posts: 40137
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Postby reohn2 » 16 Apr 2020, 3:48pm

carpetcleaner wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/16/apply-to-stay-in-uk-under-eu-settled-status-scheme

A massive vote of confidence in the UK!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52304918
-----------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10795
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Postby Cunobelin » 16 Apr 2020, 5:39pm

carpetcleaner wrote:
pete75 wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
Plenty of people seem to quite like the UK, not least the 3 million EU nationals who want to stay here, the inhabitants of the Calais camp and the people who risk their lives in container lorries and tiny boats trying to get here.

A poor opinion of the UK is quite fashionable among certain people and I get the feeling they think that their view is more widely held than it is.

They should get out more. Not now of course, but when things return to normal.


Oh how predicable. You and your alter ego have been parroting that one for years now.

It's your version of Britain - the nationalist, populist, inward looking ,intolerant, bigoted country that many have a poor opinion of.


I work with people from EU states who are very happy to stay here and say the UK is a better place to live than their home countries for a variety of social and economic reasons. They seem unaware that the UK is the horrible, racist bigoted place described by its miserable critics.

I think the UK is a great place to live and work too.

Of course some people moan about it and claim it is much worse than other countries, but I think that all countries probably have a minority of moaners who are always disappointed in their compatriots because they imagine themselves to be wiser and more caring than the average person.



Nope there was evidence provided that showed you are wrong, you have chosen (as usual) to ignore it and bluster on
Last edited by Cunobelin on 16 Apr 2020, 6:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10795
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Postby Cunobelin » 16 Apr 2020, 5:49pm

carpetcleaner wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/16/apply-to-stay-in-uk-under-eu-settled-status-scheme

A massive vote of confidence in the UK!




Firstly according to yourself, the Guardian is unreliable

I triangulate all news I don't like which appears in the Guardian by reasoning that the paper is anti-EU, anti-Conservative and anti-wealth creation while simultaneously expecting people to pay lots of taxes for their readers' wages.


Or is that all invalid because
you "like" the article?

Hardly consistent or reasoned, but very hypocritical

You are (yet again) taking a single figure ( a bit like the 3 million) to justify your stance. I really do not know how to explain it any more simply.

As with the 3 million it is an irrelevance, let me remind you of reality:

Whether there are 200, a thousand, 1 million, 3 million or a billion is not proof of the UK's popularity, it is how that number changes. That is what informs whether people are content and happy with the UK.... and the evidence totally and unequivocally shows that you are wrong because people are leaving in their droves.

According to the Office of National Statistics:

Image

They show that the UK is so popular that the number is decreasing due to people leaving.

We could also look at the growth in EU workers in the UK, again completely disproving satisfaction with the UK by dropping.

Image

The UK is so popular that 10,000 NHS staff have left

The UK is so popular that net migration from the EU had decreased


2018 saw the largest exodus of EU citizens from the UK for a decade


Even UK citizens disprove your claim as the number migrating is increasing, and the number returning decreasing.

reohn2
Posts: 40137
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Postby reohn2 » 16 Apr 2020, 6:05pm

You've got feel sorry for Blackbike haven't you?
Nothing else to say other than be contrary for the sake of it :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------

D363
Posts: 181
Joined: 23 Aug 2014, 3:03pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Postby D363 » 16 Apr 2020, 6:33pm

reohn2 wrote:You've got feel sorry for Blackbike haven't you?
Nothing else to say other than be contrary for the sake of it :wink:


And strangely enough I genuinely do feel sorry for blackbike, for exactly that reason. What a way to live.

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Postby carpetcleaner » 16 Apr 2020, 9:00pm

3.4 million votes of confidence in the UK from EU nationals who are keen to stay here.

I wonder what those 3.4 million people think of the Jeremiahs who tell us how dreadful the UK is, and how much worse it will be when Brexit has been completed?

Probably a combination of pity and ridicule.