Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Postboxer

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Postby Postboxer » 1 Jun 2020, 12:43am

carpetcleaner wrote:Despite the press hysteria and the BBC bias over the Cummings non-scandal more people prefer Boris as PM than Kier Starmer.

And they didn't even get Cummings sacked.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/statu ... 0132364288

Perhaps Starmer needs to withdraw the whip from his lock down flouting MP.

Wow Johnson is miles ahead isn't he! Must be the advantage of being well known for years and years whereas a lot of people only became aware of Keir Starmer a few weeks ago. I'm sure it will take him years and years to get anywhere close to Johnson's overwhelming popularity within the population.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 1 Jun 2020, 6:23am

Postboxer wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:Despite the press hysteria and the BBC bias over the Cummings non-scandal more people prefer Boris as PM than Kier Starmer.

Wow Johnson is miles ahead isn't he! Must be the advantage of being well known for years and years whereas a lot of people only became aware of Keir Starmer a few weeks ago. I'm sure it will take him years and years to get anywhere close to Johnson's overwhelming popularity within the population.

Yebbut - CC lives in "Stan land" where all things are Tory and therefore perfect... Everyone worships Boris with the same adulation and zealous idolatry that CC does.

I always love it when Stan publishes a link that totally destroys the claim he makes for it.

PhilD28

Postby PhilD28 » 1 Jun 2020, 7:22am

Cunobelin wrote:

Preference for Prime Minister:

Boris Johnson: 36% (-3)
Keir Starmer: 33% (+2)

It has been explained to you many times, but yet again you don't understand your own link, you keep on making yourself look even more stupid by contradicting your own claims. What your poll result shows is a massive collapse for Johnson and a rise for Starmer.

Lets look at Britain Elects interpretation of this result:

Tory lead down over Lab from 26 pts in late March to 4pts now. Down 8pts in week.

You either didn't read Britain Elects full tweet, didn't understand it or are simply trolling - I have highlighted it so you can read it, I doubt you will understand what it is sayingthough

But as you like Britain elects, let's look wider at their results which all confirm Johnson's decline... the ones that you have chosen not to link to ( I wonder why):

Popularity

Boris Johnson:
Approve: 45% (-1)
Disapprove: 39% (+3)

Keir Starmer:
Approve: 47% (+5)
Disapprove: 17% (-1)

Starmer's approval rating is higher than Johnsons

On whether Boris Johnson is showing leadership during this crisis:

Agree: 42%
Disagree: 51%

--

On whether Keir Starmer is showing leadership during this crisis:

Agree: 45%
Disagree: 27%

Starmer seems to be the one that the polls feel are showing leadership. When 51% supported Boris it was according to you unequivocal illustration he was doing well. Is 51% now unequivocal that he is failing... or are you going to contradict your own claims yet again now it is inconvenient for you?

Voting intention

CON: 43% (-4)
LAB: 37% (+2)
LDEM: 9% (-)
GRN: 3% (-)

Another massive plummet for the Tories, they have dropped (to Labour's gain in every single poll in the lasy three weeks

Dominic Cummings...

Should resign: 66%
Should not resign: 17%

Cummings should surely resign with this unequivocal result?

I expect you will once again not recognise Johnsons plummeting personal and party popularity. But thank you for providing the evidence for it

That’s a really good piece of work Cunobelin, of course it will make no difference whatsoever to cc, but it is important that people who attempt to change opinion by lying have the accuracy of their claims examined, it’s a shame that much of our press don’t do such good work.

carpetcleaner

Postby carpetcleaner » 1 Jun 2020, 8:05am

Things are getting back to normal now after last week's carefully orchestrated outbreak of anger, outrage and BBC bias.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/statu ... 4244994049

The Conservatives are polling above the level they achieved on the day of their famous huge victory in 2019's Get Brexit Done election.

Mr Cummings remains in his job serving the nation.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 1 Jun 2020, 8:34am

Hi, I'm a little confused! CC appears to view everything through "Rose tinted spectacles", but only ever comes out with "Blue Rinse" utterances?
He must present a combined imgage of Mary Whitehouse & Dame Edna Everage with a touch of Colonel Blimp thrown in :shock: :lol: . MM

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 1 Jun 2020, 9:46am

merseymouth wrote:Hi, I'm a little confused! CC appears to view everything through "Rose tinted spectacles", but only ever comes out with "Blue Rinse" utterances?
He must present a combined imgage of Mary Whitehouse & Dame Edna Everage with a touch of Colonel Blimp thrown in :shock: :lol: . MM

I don't think you know what his true views are, he's a contrarian who thinks they've found a group of folk they can play with their inflammatory statements.
IMO he's a bit too obvious, not a true master more a talented amateur.

D363

Postby D363 » 1 Jun 2020, 9:56am

Talented? It's really not difficult to play that game.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 1 Jun 2020, 10:12am

what are we allowed to do now?

Capture.JPG

I would add a cummings column? any number,any distance,anywhere indoors or out,Now

carpetcleaner

Postby carpetcleaner » 1 Jun 2020, 11:14am

merseymouth wrote:Hi, I'm a little confused! CC appears to view everything through "Rose tinted spectacles", but only ever comes out with "Blue Rinse" utterances?

No rose tint required for me to view the current political scene with contentment. Conservative government with a huge majority. Labour in a shambles having just suffered its biggest defeat since 1935. Conservatives comfortably ahead in the opinion polls. Brexit done. And Mr Cummings serving us.

carpetcleaner

Postby carpetcleaner » 1 Jun 2020, 11:17am

kwackers wrote:

I don't think you know what his true views are, he's a contrarian who thinks they've found a group of folk they can play with their inflammatory statements.

I'm just a Conservative voter who is reasonably satisfied with the political scene at the moment. And that means I disagree with the views of most on this topic. Conservative voters are not rare. We are the biggest group of voters in the country. It is those who fail to see the benefits of Conservative rule who are being contrarian.

My views are mainstream.

Tinnishill

Postby Tinnishill » 1 Jun 2020, 11:22am

Re-statement of Cabinet policy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0na2Y_74_mk
Agitate, educate, organise.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 1 Jun 2020, 11:43am

carpetcleaner wrote:
kwackers wrote:

I'm just a Conservative voter who is reasonably satisfied with the political scene at the moment. And that means I disagree with the views of most on this topic. Conservative voters are not rare. We are the biggest group of voters in the country. It is those who fail to see the benefits of Conservative rule who are being contrarian.

My views are mainstream.

Actually your views aren't mainstream.
You represent the biggest single group, but not the majority - 44% of folk who voted at the time, somewhat less now I'd guess and it's a given that folk who didn't vote also have views, presumably a percentage of those figured neither side was worth the time.

Also interesting is the concept of "views" - which implies that anyone who voted conservative shares your views.
That's never been true, in fact survey after survey shows folk actually support more social policies - that they then go on and vote Tory is of course one of life's little mysteries.
Mind you as a yoof I was always surprised by how 'right wing' the folk I lived around were in their views despite being staunch labour supporters.
Such is folk.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 1 Jun 2020, 11:49am

PhilD28 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Preference for Prime Minister:

Boris Johnson: 36% (-3)
Keir Starmer: 33% (+2)

It has been explained to you many times, but yet again you don't understand your own link, you keep on making yourself look even more stupid by contradicting your own claims. What your poll result shows is a massive collapse for Johnson and a rise for Starmer.

Lets look at Britain Elects interpretation of this result:

Tory lead down over Lab from 26 pts in late March to 4pts now. Down 8pts in week.

You either didn't read Britain Elects full tweet, didn't understand it or are simply trolling - I have highlighted it so you can read it, I doubt you will understand what it is sayingthough

But as you like Britain elects, let's look wider at their results which all confirm Johnson's decline... the ones that you have chosen not to link to ( I wonder why):

Popularity

Boris Johnson:
Approve: 45% (-1)
Disapprove: 39% (+3)

Keir Starmer:
Approve: 47% (+5)
Disapprove: 17% (-1)

Starmer's approval rating is higher than Johnsons

On whether Boris Johnson is showing leadership during this crisis:

Agree: 42%
Disagree: 51%

--

On whether Keir Starmer is showing leadership during this crisis:

Agree: 45%
Disagree: 27%

Starmer seems to be the one that the polls feel are showing leadership. When 51% supported Boris it was according to you unequivocal illustration he was doing well. Is 51% now unequivocal that he is failing... or are you going to contradict your own claims yet again now it is inconvenient for you?

Voting intention

CON: 43% (-4)
LAB: 37% (+2)
LDEM: 9% (-)
GRN: 3% (-)

Another massive plummet for the Tories, they have dropped (to Labour's gain in every single poll in the lasy three weeks

Dominic Cummings...

Should resign: 66%
Should not resign: 17%

Cummings should surely resign with this unequivocal result?

I expect you will once again not recognise Johnsons plummeting personal and party popularity. But thank you for providing the evidence for it

That’s a really good piece of work Cunobelin, of course it will make no difference whatsoever to cc, but it is important that people who attempt to change opinion by lying have the accuracy of their claims examined, it’s a shame that much of our press don’t do such good work.

Ironically I can take no credit... it was CC that provided all of this information!

All I did was explain what he had missed (again)

He has a habit of not reading his kinks

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 1 Jun 2020, 11:55am

A very difficult and complicated analysis from the Guardian why things have gone so wrong in handling the pandemic.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/31/how-a-decade-of-privatisation-and-cuts-exposed-england-to-coronavirus?

jgurney

Postby jgurney » 1 Jun 2020, 12:03pm

kwackers wrote:

IMO he's a bit too obvious ...

I notice that while there are a significant number of Conservatively- inclined and pro-Brexit members of the forum, not one has weighed in here to support Carpetcleaner. I wonder if a PM has been circulating among them on the lines of 'I think this guy is a leftie plant under a false flag, he's probably hoping to lead us into agreeing to something that sounds extreme, then he'll come out and try to embarrass us .... keep well away from him'.