Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Post by 661-Pete »

merseymouth wrote:Hi 661-Pete, You really do manage to misinterpret thing! "Trot" when capitalized is short for Trotskyist? You really should manage the nuances of the English language & grammar, if you did improve your observational skills you might have noticed the the only place which I did that was at the start of a sentence, which is right & proper!
Score a point off me on grammar if you can, and if it gives you a lift, MM! I was thinking of other posts - and I did not misinterpret yours! Look up the word "innuendo" perhaps?

Anyway none of this matters. What does matter is that this forum has become angrier and angrier, and there's a risk the whole thing might be locked.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Re: UK government,an incompentent bunch of liars!

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:Disclaimer:- if you're one of those people who were for some reason right behind the government on that war,which I find bizarre,but is your prerogative,you have my apologies for prejudging your war stance
You're referring to the Gulf War I take it. For the record, Mrs P and I were in the Stop The War march on 15 February 2003 - along with a million others. I even wrote up a blog about the day - though I never put it online.

And I never voted Labour in the Blair years.

You and I have a lot of overlap, R2. Just - not quite 100%. I beg to differ on some things... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Story emerging this evening that apparently the 4,000 bed NIghtingale Hospital; in London is i fact only 500

Boris and his ilk have never, ever been good at Maths, perhaps they should employ a ten year old to do their maths for the, could not be worse
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

I thought it was a only 500 beds to start with, with the capacity to rapidly expand as demand increases. I assume the essential 'plumbing' is already in place for the oxygen , suction, filtered and backed up electric etc. It's just that the extra beds aren't there AFAIK, and certainly not the staff, or the ventilators and other equipment. Until we get the brand new stuff, not much point in opening all the beds now.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Cunobelin wrote:Story emerging this evening that apparently the 4,000 bed NIghtingale Hospital; in London is i fact only 500

Boris and his ilk have never, ever been good at Maths, perhaps they should employ a ten year old to do their maths for the, could not be worse

500 to start with....they are doing it in phases

Even a 10 year old could have researched this.

How about congratulating those who put the whole thing together rather than having a totally misguided dig.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

ossie wrote:How about congratulating those who put the whole thing together rather than having a totally misguided dig.
Look at the title of this thread: there's your answer.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I see the Government is writing off £13bn of NHS debt.

What a disingenuous proposal. Talk of smoke and mirrors! All this is is rather late funding which it should have received years ago. The NHS doesn't owe the government money: if anything, it's the other way around.

Hard facts and proper evidence beats rhetoric and slogans.
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Oldjohnw wrote:In January, Mr Hancock, who is a Tory, told parliament that the people of the country had nothing to worry about because we had a world leading test available.

Well obviously he couldn't know just how bad it would get but as for the world leading test? A lie.

No a time to compare one country against another but Hancock said yesterday that the UK has done more testing than France. Totally untrue, although France hasn't done enough, so it was another lie. Is he lying about the number of tests being done by the end of the month or is he just saying this is their aim?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

francovendee wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:In January, Mr Hancock, who is a Tory, told parliament that the people of the country had nothing to worry about because we had a world leading test available.

Well obviously he couldn't know just how bad it would get but as for the world leading test? A lie.

No a time to compare one country against another but Hancock said yesterday that the UK has done more testing than France. Totally untrue, although France hasn't done enough, so it was another lie. Is he lying about the number of tests being done by the end of the month or is he just saying this is their aim?

I believe he has said he wants to set a high target. Trouble is, we have lost so much time: everywhere wants tests and we have the undignified prospect of nation bidding against nation.

What a b****y unholy mess!
John
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

ossie wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Story emerging this evening that apparently the 4,000 bed NIghtingale Hospital; in London is i fact only 500

500 to start with....they are doing it in phases

Even a 10 year old could have researched this.

How about congratulating those who put the whole thing together rather than having a totally misguided dig.

Not what they are telling the press or regularly announcing... simples
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Oldjohnw wrote:
francovendee wrote:

I believe he has said he wants to set a high target. Trouble is, we have lost so much time: everywhere wants tests and we have the undignified prospect of nation bidding against nation.

The standard Political lie of stating whet they have doe as if it deserves praise

PPE is a classic. The diversion is "We have delivered X million pieces of PPE

Well done, but if the requirement is X million +1 or is not getting to certain sectors then it is another political lie covering an unequivocal abject failure to supply PPE
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cunobelin wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
francovendee wrote:

The standard Political lie of stating whet they have doe as if it deserves praise

Well done, but if the requirement is X million +1 or is not getting to certain sectors then it is another political lie covering an unequivocal abject failure to supply PPE

Classic tactics. You ask a minister"Why has my prison/school/library had its funding cut by 20%?" The answer is always "We are putting £xm into justice/education/society, the most in X years". Meaningless.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

Classic tactics. You ask a minister"Why has my prison/school/library had its funding cut by 20%?" The answer is always "We are putting £xm into justice/education/society, the most in X years". Meaningless.

Talking about funding cuts ... The old "slip in while they are distracted" technique is still in use

The Tories have sneaked in a cut in school meal funding
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

francovendee wrote:

Report on TV News last night (or maybe night before) was that the testing currently being done can be up to 30% inaccurate (false negatives). They has one Dr responsible for an ICU saying his instruction was that if patient is showing signs of C-19 then treat them as having C-19 whatever the tests say. Also another Dr who showed symptoms, was tested and found clear, returned to work uncertain about his infection when his boss ordered another test (because it was clear what was happening) except 2nd test "lost" the swabs so no results at which point I think they declared he had C-19. For all the high standards being talked about by Ministers and PHE, report presented a very different picture on the ground.

Ian