Social Distancing: Thanks, and No Thanks

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Paulatic

Re: Social Distancing: Thanks, and No Thanks

Post by Paulatic »

carpetcleaner wrote:On my solitary ride this afternoon I noticed two things.

Lots of family groups wandering down country lanes, taking up the whole carriageway and being slow to get out of the way.

Lots of horse riders going slowly down those same lanes.

I can't remember Boris saying that walking in the middle of the road is now allowed or that horse riding counts as exercise for humans.

I came across similar families today across the road it’s good to see them and if they don’t know I was approaching from behind I politely alerted them. There is no law saying you can’t walk in the middle of the road as far as I am aware. I thought it was a public highway.
Horse riding surely counts as animal welfare exercise is essential for their wellbeing as well as ours.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Paulatic wrote:

Lots of family groups wandering down country lanes, taking up the whole carriageway and being slow to get out of the way.

I can't remember Boris saying that walking in the middle of the road is now allowed or that horse riding counts as exercise for humans.

I came across similar families today across the road it’s good to see them and if they don’t know I was approaching from behind I politely alerted them. There is no law saying you can’t walk in the middle of the road as far as I am aware. I though it was a public highway.
Horse riding surely counts as animal welfare exercise is essential for their wellbeing as well as ours.

People are not permitted to wander aimlessly in the middle of country lanes or any other road. The Highway Code makes it clear how pedestrians are expected to behave, just as it does for all road users.

As for animals, their exercise is not deemed essential in the current emergency. The government instructions on leaving the house are very clear indeed and do not permit it for the exercise of animals.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

I came across similar families today across the road it’s good to see them and if they don’t know I was approaching from behind I politely alerted them. There is no law saying you can’t walk in the middle of the road as far as I am aware. I though it was a public highway.

People are not permitted to wander aimlessly in the middle of country lanes or any other road. The Highway Code makes it clear how pedestrians are expected to behave, just as it does for all road users.

As for animals, their exercise is not deemed essential in the current emergency. The government instructions on leaving the house are very clear indeed and do not permit it for the exercise of animals.

Get off yer high horse :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Best to keep plenty of distance even outwith This Period of Madness, 2 metres, more if possible, for all sorts of reasons, no-one really knows how much distance the germs can float through the air

In a food store I saw some instructions to keep 2 m apart, and some to keep 1.5 m apart

Just like keeping 2 metres, minimum, away when overtaking, minimum
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

I’d be very surprised if you can find the government instructions for people to disregard animal welfare during this crisis.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

There is some exercise value in horse riding, so no conflict there. And by most people's way of looking at it animal welfare is essential. Other essential things are also missed off that simple list of four reasons to leave your home. If you have a house fire, for example. Personally, I couldn't care less what folk are doing out there so long as they are staying well clear of each other and trying to do their bit to get us through this.
Last edited by pwa on 5 Apr 2020, 7:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Paulatic wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
Paulatic wrote:I came across similar families today across the road it’s good to see them and if they don’t know I was approaching from behind I politely alerted them. There is no law saying you can’t walk in the middle of the road as far as I am aware. I though it was a public highway.

I’d be very surprised if you can find the government instructions for people to disregard animal welfare during this crisis.

I don't need to.

You should only leave the house for very limited purposes:

shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.

one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.

any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.

travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rom-others

No mention of Dobbin in there.
pwa

Post by pwa »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

I don't need to.

shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.

one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.

any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.

Then we need to add horse welfare to the list, don't we.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

How do you get to within 2m of someone sat atop of a horse? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

pwa wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
Paulatic wrote:I came across similar families today across the road it’s good to see them and if they don’t know I was approaching from behind I politely alerted them. There is no law saying you can’t walk in the middle of the road as far as I am aware. I though it was a public highway.

There is some exercise value in horse riding, so no conflict there. And by most people's way of looking at it animal welfare is essential. Other essential things are also missed off that simple list of four reasons to leave your home. If you have a house fire, for example. Personally, I couldn't care less what folk are doing out there so long as they are staying well clear of each other and trying to do their bit to get us through this.

A house fire is covered in the government guidelines.

A fire is clearly covered in the 'avoid or escape risk of injury or harm' bit.

It isn't about what you personally care about. It's about obeying the government's instructions. They are very clear.

As for horse riding slowly on a road I doubt a policeman would accept it as a form of exercise for the rider. It must burn as many calories per hour as riding in a sedan chair or doing housework.

llayercake

Post by llayercake »

pwa wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
Paulatic wrote:I’d be very surprised if you can find the government instructions for people to disregard animal welfare during this crisis.

I don't need to.

Then we need to add horse welfare to the list, don't we.

The lockdown here in Spain is a lot more severe than the UK population could cope with, probably because this country was under a dictatorship until the mid seventies.

That said, the guidelines that I read today specifically contain an exemption for those responsible for animal welfare. It seems reasonable I guess.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Today I used my low pressure garden hose on the "mist" setting.
The stiff wind we had today distributes the drops and swirls them around.
I can report being able to detect said drops on my face at a distance of at least 10 meters.
I merely report. Make of it what you will.

Try disconnecting the hose at the water supply and then blowing the residual water down it to see if you can reproduce the mist.

You might change your mind about how low "low pressure" is (or isn't).
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

pwa wrote:Other essential things are also missed off that simple list of four reasons to leave your home. If you have a house fire, for example.

You don't think that "(m) to avoid injury or illness or to escape a risk of harm", happily included in the legislation as a "reasonable excuse" for leaving your abode covers that ?
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

carpetcleaner wrote: People are not permitted to wander aimlessly in the middle of country lanes or any other road.

Only in that road users are not allowed to unreasonably obstruct each other. Pedestrians could lawfully walk in the middle of the road if they can do so without being unduly obstructive to others. Not being alert for other users approaching and ready to promptly move to the right could be seen as being unreasonable, just as a motorist driving there acting on the assumption that there will be no pedestrians present is also highly unreasonable.

Riding a horse, etc, is exercise for the rider as well as the animal. Someone unaccustomed to it spending a few hours in the saddle will often later have leg muscles feeling like those of a non-cyclist who has made their first long cycle ride.
While unlikely, it is also possible that some equestrians are using their horses to travel to village shops, etc, for essential purposes, just as a cyclist might be cycling for that purpose
pwa

Post by pwa »

carpetcleaner wrote: It must burn as many calories per hour as riding in a sedan chair or doing housework.

If you know people who ride a horse daily you will know they have leg and back muscles developed by that activity, and you don't develop muscle without "exercising".

Besides which, if this is about nit-picking rather than about controlling the virus it is plain silly. I passed a horse rider while I was out cycling yesterday and she was not close to anyone else, she was getting some exercise, and neither she nor anyone else was in danger because of her activity.