Social Distancing: Thanks, and No Thanks

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rmurphy195

Social Distancing: Thanks, and No Thanks

Post by rmurphy195 »

Just got back from a ride around my local district, and am disappointed in the least with the behaviour of some other cyclists - and overwhelmed with the behaviour of some others. If that sounds a bit emotional so be it.

If you were cycling around the Earlswood area this morning between 9am and 10am this applies to you

So the bad bit first:

NO THANKS (and a few other choice words that I've removed from this post)

... To the pair of riders, who stayed two abreast as they approached and passed me from the opposite direct, one within arms length, on the well-surfaced but narrow stretch of lane betweeN Fowlers and the rail station.

... To the rider who came off the dam at the little bridge near the Red Lion - without giving way, just came out within arms length as I went past . The overtook me within arms length, and then turned right towards the Red Lion. WHY DIDN'T YOU WAIT AT THE END OF YOUR JUNCTION, WHERE THE LINES ARE. The vehicle coming the other way slowed down to let me go up and over the bridge, why couldn't you.

MY APPRECIATION (This area is also where we walk)
... To the cyclist who slowed down (or at least appeared to) until I passed the rough surface near Fowler's cheese farm, so we could then both pass well away from each other.

... To those other cyclists who, like me, avoided going over the dam at Earslwood Lakes because the roadway is simply too narrow to maintain distance from the pedestrians

... To those other cyclists who moved over and away from pedestrians on these narrow lanes

... To those walkers who also kept a wide berth from each other, and from cyclists (it really was working both ways this morning, and on other days when we have been out walking)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cunobelin

Re: Social Distancing: Thanks, and No Thanks

Post by Cunobelin »

Shopping yesterday for food, in Morrisons.

Family of 8 with kids running riot managed to block off the bakery section and three aisles by spreading out and playing on th floor whilst the parents shopped obliviously. Not impressed when a manager ejected the kids and one parent as they were "unsupervised" and causing problems with distancing

The other bugbear is that aisles are sufficiently wide that if you walk along the side people can pass. Stop in the middle of the aisle to have a phone conversation with Aunt Mabel and you block the aisle!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Thankfully I’m not one of the people identified in the OP I’m in a different country and possibly a different world :D
I have to say though I’m still not getting why some are becoming upset because someone passed them in the open air within 2 metres or if following WHO 3 ft.
This statement
coronavirus is spread by close contact over a period of time and it’s “virtually totally safe” to walk past someone in the street who may be infected.
is either true or untrue. Am I the only one in the dark who believes it to be true? I think I’ve asked before has evidence changed?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Paulatic wrote:Thankfully I’m not one of the people identified in the OP I’m in a different country and possibly a different world :D
I have to say though I’m still not getting why some are becoming upset because someone passed them in the open air within 2 metres or if following WHO 3 ft.
This statement
coronavirus is spread by close contact over a period of time and it’s “virtually totally safe” to walk past someone in the street who may be infected.
is either true or untrue. Am I the only one in the dark who believes it to be true? I think I’ve asked before has evidence changed?

I am more concerned with touching things that have been infected. Middle January I broke my winter quarantine to visit few places in north london using off peak trains and overground and a small hop on the circle line. no crowds, no one sneezing ended up with a mild cold presumably from thouching rails and buttons.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

rmurphy195 wrote:Just got back from a ride around my local district, and am disappointed in the least with the behaviour of some other cyclists - and overwhelmed with the behaviour of some others. If that sounds a bit emotional so be it.

If you were cycling around the Earlswood area this morning between 9am and 10am this applies to you

So the bad bit first:

NO THANKS (and a few other choice words that I've removed from this post)

... To the pair of riders, who stayed two abreast as they approached and passed me from the opposite direct, one within arms length, on the well-surfaced but narrow stretch of lane betweeN Fowlers and the rail station.

... To the rider who came off the dam at the little bridge near the Red Lion - without giving way, just came out within arms length as I went past . The overtook me within arms length, and then turned right towards the Red Lion. WHY DIDN'T YOU WAIT AT THE END OF YOUR JUNCTION, WHERE THE LINES ARE. The vehicle coming the other way slowed down to let me go up and over the bridge, why couldn't you.

MY APPRECIATION (This area is also where we walk)
... To the cyclist who slowed down (or at least appeared to) until I passed the rough surface near Fowler's cheese farm, so we could then both pass well away from each other.

... To those other cyclists who, like me, avoided going over the dam at Earslwood Lakes because the roadway is simply too narrow to maintain distance from the pedestrians

... To those other cyclists who moved over and away from pedestrians on these narrow lanes

... To those walkers who also kept a wide berth from each other, and from cyclists (it really was working both ways this morning, and on other days when we have been out walking)

Interestingly, the WHO guidance is 1m rather than 2m.

The govt previously indicated 15 minutes in close proximity to be at significant risk. I really wouldn't overly worry about how close a cyclist is to you as they pass, for a fraction of a second and outdoors at that.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I think it’s all down to human nature, some people simply are so self centred that they neither know nor care what impact their actions will have on others. Fortunately there are also a lot of kind and thoughtful people in this World too. As for the other type I find them in both posh houses and poor ones, it’s a bit harsh but at times I hope that such selfish folk end up with the consequences they so well deserve (make your own mind up what that might be).

As for the distance thing. If the Government recommends 2 metres then it’s not for some stranger to deliberately ignore that ‘guideline’, as such they are encroaching on what should be a buffer space around me and making a choice about my health which is not theirs to take. Simple really, whether you’re a Professor of infectious diseases (who knows of all the special cases) or not just follow the same guidelines as everyone else - there’s no need to question it and instead just do it.
Last edited by Carlton green on 5 Apr 2020, 4:59pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Is the social distance of 2 metres to guard against the risk of catching covid if someone sneezes or coughs in your direction. Like the WHO says passing someone in close proximity is unlikely to transmit the disease unless someone ejects droplets from a cough or sneeze. There is some discussion now on whether 2 metres is sufficient. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

The social distancing thing is for static proximity, not dynamic proximity. People need to get a grip, if you’re passing someone at speed, you are no particular increased risk to the other person. Even if the primary transmission path was believed to be aerosol ( breath droplets ) which it is in no way clear that it is, as the expert epidemiologist believe it’s probably more touch transmission that’s likely to be the primary transmission path, the chances that you would be right in the ‘block hole’ breathing in, as a passing person was breathing out, are astronomically low. If you are standing within 2 meters of someone, for an extended period of time, the chances that touch transmission occurs is increased and the chances your breathing is synched with theirs is also massively increased. In any case, the WHO say 3 feet is adequate separation, and again, this has been misinterpreted. Imagine you are in the centre of a 3 ft diameter imaginary disc. The separation is 3 feet from where the edge of your disc, meets the person in the middle of theirs, not from where the edge of your disc meets the edge of their disc.
llayercake

Post by llayercake »

Paulatic wrote:Thankfully I’m not one of the people identified in the OP I’m in a different country and possibly a different world :D
This statement

'Evidence' at present appears anecdotal or inconclusive or, in the case of scientific research, probably lacks controls, sufficient data, peer review etc.

I guess it's just a question of personal choice as to whether to bet one's life on whatever one might regard as 'evidence'. The problem arises when one person's behaviour could be considered likely to include the lives of others as unwilling participants in their particular little game of chance.

There's certainly enough opinion floating around to justify almost any approach. Some of it says that a metre won't cut it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=coronav ... 4&dpr=2.63
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

On my solitary ride this afternoon I noticed two things.

Lots of family groups wandering down country lanes, taking up the whole carriageway and being slow to get out of the way.

Lots of horse riders going slowly down those same lanes.

I can't remember Boris saying that walking in the middle of the road is now allowed or that horse riding counts as exercise for humans.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Lots of family groups wandering down country lanes, taking up the whole carriageway and being slow to get out of the way.

Good on them. I hope they enjoy the empty roads and cyclists and motorists are considerate of them.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

Good on them. I hope they enjoy the empty roads and cyclists and motorists are considerate of them.

A road is not empty of traffic if I am travelling down it on my bike. Normal Highway Code rules have not been suspended and pedestrians should obey them.

I expect pedestrians to show consideration too, and blocking the carriageway unnecessarily doesn't do that. When this crisis is over those families will be back in their cars and showing us their usual consideration.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

carpetcleaner wrote:When this crisis is over those families will be back in their cars and showing us their usual consideration.

I think we can afford a little consideration and to slow down and exchange a smile and a cheery word while we pass the occasional family trying to stay sane in these strange times.

Try it, you might like it!
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Today I used my low pressure garden hose on the "mist" setting.
The stiff wind we had today distributes the drops and swirls them around.
I can report being able to detect said drops on my face at a distance of at least 10 meters.
I merely report. Make of it what you will.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:When this crisis is over those families will be back in their cars and showing us their usual consideration.

I think we can afford a little consideration and to slow down and exchange a smile and a cheery word while we pass the occasional family trying to stay sane in these strange times.

Try it, you might like it!

I have tried and I don't like it if I have to do it too often. To me it seems like the motoring classes are determined to own the road even when they can't use their beloved cars to hog it. Is too much to expect them not to wander aimlessly all over the road and to show as little consideration for others as they do when they are in their cars?

I walk on quiet country lanes quite often myself and I don't feel the need to make life inconvenient for others for no good reason.

On balance the current situation has improved our roads for cyclists, especially big urban ones, but these new rural jaywalkers and the boy racers who take advantage of quiet urban roads detract from this improvement.