Asda Scan and Go?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bungle73

Asda Scan and Go?

Postby bungle73 » 6 Apr 2020, 5:56pm

Has anyone ever successfully used this? I thought it would be easy, but I was wrong.

I entered my details into the touch screen, and picked up the scanner that was flashing, but when it came to trying to scan what I wanted to buy I could not get it to work. It didn't seem to want to scan anything. I did ask a staff member, but she mumbled something about it not being charged (which can't be it as the screen was on), and getting a new one. I had no idea what do to so I left it on a shelf. This then led to a whole scenario of agro, which I won't go into here.

Anyone know what I was doing wrong?

Paulatic

Re: Asda Scan and Go?

Postby Paulatic » 6 Apr 2020, 6:11pm

bungle73 wrote:Has anyone ever successfully used this? I thought it would be easy, but I was wrong.

I entered my details into the touch screen, and picked up the scanner that was flashing, but when it came to trying to scan what I wanted to buy I could not get it to work. It didn't seem to want to scan anything. I did ask a staff member, but she mumbled something about it not being charged (which can't be it as the screen was on), and getting a new one. I had no idea what do to so I left it on a shelf. This then led to a whole scenario of agro, which I won't go into here.

Anyone know what I was doing wrong?

I tempted to answer because you were shopping in ASDA.
As for the technology I’ve no idea as I’ve never liked the look of that system.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 6 Apr 2020, 6:20pm

I've used tesco, but got fed up as each time I got selected for a random check that I wasn't spiriting a bottle of rum away with my coconuts. Also could be a pain if you wanted to remove something from the trolley. (or basket in my case)

At any one time, I saw that at least 5% of the scanners were malfunctioning. Maybe dodgy batteries, or the optics inside the scanner get knocked by careless users and stop registering the barcodes correctly.

But some people seem to have no problem with it all.

bungle73

Postby bungle73 » 6 Apr 2020, 6:59pm

I've got the app on my home, but I've heard it's dodgy to use if there are reception problems, and I'd those trying to make phone calls in the past. I thought using a handset would be easier.

wirral_cyclist

Postby wirral_cyclist » 6 Apr 2020, 7:13pm

We use the app and as far as I know it doesn't need any signal as all it does is tally the items and creates a QR code - the till re-converts that code into a standard till transaction.

T-800

Postby T-800 » 6 Apr 2020, 7:32pm

The missus uses it all the time.When I've been with her there has been no problems.
I should sign up too.

mjr

Postby mjr » 6 Apr 2020, 7:38pm

I've used the Sainsbury one a couple of times (combined with taking my trailer in as a trolley to reduce contact) and once the scanner fell off the wifi network and couldn't find any prices. I am not impressed with it - or with how the shop has not coped well with the crisis.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

bungle73

Postby bungle73 » 6 Apr 2020, 7:40pm

wirral_cyclist wrote:We use the app and as far as I know it doesn't need any signal as all it does is tally the items and creates a QR code - the till re-converts that code into a standard till transaction.

That's odd, because the reviews I read suggested it doesn't work if there is no data signal. Maybe I should give that a go.

bungle73

Postby bungle73 » 6 Apr 2020, 8:49pm

Two reviews from the Play Store.....

"Great idea, needs some more work. The app itself works great, has a nice interface and seems, so far, easy to use. Where the system falls down is that in a lot of stores local to myself, you get poor signal, and there are no available WiFi networks. The app had trouble connecting when scanning and removing items, and had to be restarted twice. Fortunately this didn't lose my basket progress, but still quite annoying and took longer than using the regular scan and go handsets."

"I usually walk around with a shopping list on my phone and a shopping bag, so carrying the old scanner as well was really inconvenient. Enter: this app! It's just as good as the scanner so long as you have a half decent phone and a good internet connection (our store has free WiFi) - and it's more hygienic. Good job ASDA."

wirral_cyclist

Postby wirral_cyclist » 6 Apr 2020, 9:19pm

bungle73 wrote:Two reviews from the Play Store.....

"Great idea, needs some more work. The app itself works great, has a nice interface and seems, so far, easy to use. Where the system falls down is that in a lot of stores local to myself, you get poor signal, and there are no available WiFi networks. The app had trouble connecting when scanning and removing items, and had to be restarted twice. Fortunately this didn't lose my basket progress, but still quite annoying and took longer than using the regular scan and go handsets."

"I usually walk around with a shopping list on my phone and a shopping bag, so carrying the old scanner as well was really inconvenient. Enter: this app! It's just as good as the scanner so long as you have a half decent phone and a good internet connection (our store has free WiFi) - and it's more hygienic. Good job ASDA."

I wonder what it goes online for, as it just seems to create a quick trolley code for the till to process?

Postboxer

Postby Postboxer » 7 Apr 2020, 12:33am

I assume the app must upload the 'basket' somewhere. The QR code then just tells the till which basket is checking out. If it wasn't uploaded, the QR code would have to be capable of coding every single possible combination of items one could buy from Asda.

I use the scan and go as often as they let me in Asda, it annoys me they used to close it early in the evening, shopping late at night in the good old days I'd have to then queue for one of the few tills. Also use it in Tesco but don't shop there often, they seem to check me in Tesco a lot, although that might just be perception when not shopping there very often, been ok the last few times though.

Asda's scan and go has been ok for me, used it from when it started, only had a few problems, one day the handset had someone else's name on it and it wouldn't let me get a different one out without getting a staff member to reset it. Had a few items that wouldn't scan and had it not let me remove items once or twice. Haven't been in the last few weeks though so don't know if the system is creaking. Indeed the last visit to the shop the scan and go wasn't open, went in 30 mins before closing and had to wait ages at the tills. I don't know why more people don't use it as there are often long queues at the tills and I've never known a queue for scan and go.

Perhaps they are sterilizing handsets behind the scenes so maybe they aren't on charge as long, or the stores have been so busy that they're not back on charge long enough between uses, or they're using every available handset they have, to allow them to clean them out because more people are using them , so they have to put out the slightly dodgy ones too.

bungle73

Postby bungle73 » 7 Apr 2020, 8:32am

Postboxer wrote:I assume the app must upload the 'basket' somewhere. The QR code then just tells the till which basket is checking out. If it wasn't uploaded, the QR code would have to be capable of coding every single possible combination of items one could buy from Asda.

I use the scan and go as often as they let me in Asda, it annoys me they used to close it early in the evening, shopping late at night in the good old days I'd have to then queue for one of the few tills. Also use it in Tesco but don't shop there often, they seem to check me in Tesco a lot, although that might just be perception when not shopping there very often, been ok the last few times though.

Asda's scan and go has been ok for me, used it from when it started, only had a few problems, one day the handset had someone else's name on it and it wouldn't let me get a different one out without getting a staff member to reset it. Had a few items that wouldn't scan and had it not let me remove items once or twice. Haven't been in the last few weeks though so don't know if the system is creaking. Indeed the last visit to the shop the scan and go wasn't open, went in 30 mins before closing and had to wait ages at the tills. I don't know why more people don't use it as there are often long queues at the tills and I've never known a queue for scan and go.

Perhaps they are sterilizing handsets behind the scenes so maybe they aren't on charge as long, or the stores have been so busy that they're not back on charge long enough between uses, or they're using every available handset they have, to allow them to clean them out because more people are using them , so they have to put out the slightly dodgy ones too.

So how do you get it to scan anything?

Postboxer

Postby Postboxer » 7 Apr 2020, 7:30pm

Hold it like a gun, point it at the barcode, press 'trigger' button, it beeps, I think you must have had a bad handset. Barcodes on bags sometimes take a few tries as you have to try to get them with no creases.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 7 Apr 2020, 7:35pm

Does it employ a light to indicate acceptance as well as the bleep?
I say this because many of us oldies have poor hearing, so like a visual indicator. MM

bungle73

Postby bungle73 » 7 Apr 2020, 9:15pm

Postboxer wrote:Hold it like a gun, point it at the barcode, press 'trigger' button, it beeps, I think you must have had a bad handset. Barcodes on bags sometimes take a few tries as you have to try to get them with no creases.

No, I just didn't know what I was supposed to do. I didn't notice a trigger. I'm assuming it's located in the usual place one would expect to find a trigger button? Thanks. I'll take a look if I try it again.