Asda Scan and Go?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Postboxer

Re: Asda Scan and Go?

Post by Postboxer »

Yes there's a button on the handle. Not sure if there's a light as well as the beep but scanned items also appear on the screen, which is a touch screen so items can be selected and removed or multiples can be added, although I think it's easier just to scan an item multiple times.

I found it a bit surreal the first times I did it, packing everything on the way round then just paying and leaving. Along with the worry I'd done it wrong and the nerves when selected for a check. Now it feels funny when I'm not scanning it myself.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Thanks.
T-800

Post by T-800 »

I've downloaded the App(IOS).The wife uses the scanners in store,don't know why,don't ask :lol: I'm going to test it out this weekend.
I'm surprised the take up hasn't shot up.Queue to get in then queue to pay :shock: The scan and go aisles in our local Asda are always quiet!
mjr

Post by mjr »

T-800 wrote:I've downloaded the App(IOS).The wife uses the scanners in store,don't know why,don't ask :lol: I'm going to test it out this weekend.
I'm surprised the take up hasn't shot up.Queue to get in then queue to pay :shock: The scan and go aisles in our local Asda are always quiet!

What else does the app do while you're not looking? What permissions does it ask for?

Given most shops handsets seem rather unstable, I wouldn't want to let their programmers run unauditable code on my phone.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
T-800

Post by T-800 »

mjr wrote:
T-800 wrote:I've downloaded the App(IOS).The wife uses the scanners in store,don't know why,don't ask :lol: I'm going to test it out this weekend.

What else does the app do while you're not looking? What permissions does it ask for?

Given most shops handsets seem rather unstable, I wouldn't want to let their programmers run unauditable code on my phone.

Nothing as far as I know.Seems to be glitch free.Just open app,it locates store you're in(location services needs to be switched on but that's the same for most apps) log in and go.
I don't really think or worry about who/what/where is tracking my phone :roll:
T-800

Post by T-800 »

I've been using the Asda App for about a week now and it just works 8)
We tested it on a "full" shop yesterday and it was so much easier/faster.
The wife is converted and she's down loaded the Android version.I even use it for just a few items now as the basket aisle is always busy 8) 8)
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

T-800 wrote:
mjr wrote:

Nothing as far as I know.Seems to be glitch free.Just open app,it locates store you're in(location services needs to be switched on but that's the same for most apps) log in and go.

"Nothing as far as I know" ? Did you not check when you installed it? Don't you check whether apps on your phone have access to data they should not need for the functionality declared? :shock:
mjr

Post by mjr »

AlaninWales wrote:
T-800 wrote:Nothing as far as I know.Seems to be glitch free.Just open app,it locates store you're in(location services needs to be switched on but that's the same for most apps) log in and go.

"Nothing as far as I know" ? Did you not check when you installed it? Don't you check whether apps on your phone have access to data they should not need for the functionality declared? :shock:

Few apps require location services and surely the Asda one could figure out which store it is in by interrogating the wifi connection. I can't think why exactly the Asda app needs permissions (according to the Android app store) to record audio, read/modify/delete your storage files (the pictures and recordings and so on saved on your phone - possibly your emails, sports tracker logs and so on, depending on the app you use) and prevent the device from sleeping.

All in all, that's a bit too nosey for my liking!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.