Journalists - split from Labour leader

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Journalists - split from Labour leader

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Journalism is an honourable profession
Ian Jack of the Grauniad ist one of my favourites, and whatabout Martin Bell, The Accidental MP?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Re: Labour leader

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Journalism is an honourable profession
Ian Jack of the Grauniad ist one of my favourites, and whatabout Martin Bell, The Accidental MP?

I had no issue with someone being a journalist. I was addressing the comments which condemned Labour politicians who had not worked outside of politics.

Johnson has largely distinguished himself, in all his chosen jobs, by his economy with the truth.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 8 Apr 2020, 3:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Indeed. Most of them feel a certain allegiance to the truth.
Those who lie to further a political cause are propagandists.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I.M.O. only, I think that Ed and Starmer are still too lefty for you modern electorate.
Lies or no lies we vote our way and who's to change that?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:

I had no issue with someone being a journalist. I was addressing the comments which condemned Labour politicians who had not worked outside of politics.

Johnson has largely distinguished himself, in all his chosen jobs, by his economy with the truth.

There are two kinds of journalists (and of every other profession): the ones with just a label on their lapel stating "I'm one of these"; and the real ones who follow the various traditions, ethics and responsibilities of their profession.

These days the ratio everywhere seems to be about 99: 1 former to latter.

Bokum was just a Hooray Henry with a typewriter. He doesn't do ethics or responsibility. But neither do the other 98 label-only journos.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, William Joyce would of course been classed as to being a Radio Journalist! MM
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Tell me, what did I say which was untruthful? Johnson was fired multiple times for lying, from both journalistic jobs and political roles.

Highlighted the bit for you. He's been an editor, TV presenter, MP, London mayor and no doubt other jobs I don't know about. If you missed out the word only you'd have been correct. You didn't so you've mislead with your statement.

Does this make me a pedant? :D

1. Journalist, then. Covers editor and columnist.
2. Mayor of London: that is politics.
3. Lying has featured in all the above.

Editor is a bit more than journalist, it's a management role above journalism. But have it your way if it suits.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Highlighted the bit for you. He's been an editor, TV presenter, MP, London mayor and no doubt other jobs I don't know about. If you missed out the word only you'd have been correct. You didn't so you've mislead with your statement.

Does this make me a pedant? :D

1. Journalist, then. Covers editor and columnist.
2. Mayor of London: that is politics.
3. Lying has featured in all the above.

Editor is a bit more than journalist, it's a management role above journalism. But have it your way if it suits.

Sorry. Johnson was an exemplary purveyor of truth as a journalist and a selfless protector of the common man as a politician. Have it your way. Telling lies as management is ok.
John
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cugel wrote:There are two kinds of journalists (and of every other profession): the ones with just a label on their lapel stating "I'm one of these"; and the real ones who follow the various traditions, ethics and responsibilities of their profession.

Bokum was just a Hooray Henry with a typewriter. He doesn't do ethics or responsibility. But neither do the other 98 label-only journos.

That looks like a definition of journalism by someone who knows nothing about journalism. Most journalists do not work in the national media; some are in local media, some journalists work in the trade press and some of those are in big businesses where the distinction between journalism and PR is blurred. Some of course now work on web based platforms and their work is often international. Some are bloggers where again the definition of journalism is blurred. A relatively high number of journalists are part time and have another job.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cugel wrote:There are two kinds of journalists (and of every other profession): the ones with just a label on their lapel stating "I'm one of these"; and the real ones who follow the various traditions, ethics and responsibilities of their profession.

That looks like a definition of journalism by someone who knows nothing about journalism. Most journalists do not work in the national media; some are in local media, some journalists work in the trade press and some of those are in big businesses where the distinction between journalism and PR is blurred. Some of course now work on web based platforms and their work is often international. Some are bloggers where again the definition of journalism is blurred. A relatively high number of journalists are part time and have another job.

Gerraway, man, yuh don't say. :-)

"..........some of those are in big businesses where the distinction between journalism and PR is blurred". I would say: 99%, which is quite a large "some".

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flat-Earth-New ... filtered=1

"Nick Davies has unearthed an overwhelming weight of evidence that the British media lies,distorts facts and routinely breaks the law. It is hypnotically readable, commands attention right to the end and has troubled me profoundly ever since. .... His book should be read by every reporter, editor and proprietor as well as newspaper readers. It's real importance goes far beyond journalism". .... Peter Osborne, The Spectator.

Some real journalism (in whatever form) remains but the vast majority is lies, damn lies and Boris-lies.

PS Read more reviews of this damning book in the Amazon "Look Inside" pages.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
profpointy

Re: Journalists - split from Labour leader

Post by profpointy »

The abovementioned Flat Earth News is a brilliant and insightful analysis of how the media works, and how outright evil papers like the Daily Mail are cynically driven by money more than any real agenda. Whilst he openly admits to being left of centre in his own politics he is also critical of left leaning media and even calls out his own moral panic over y2k bug, which anyone in the (IT) industry would, if being honest, admit was a storm in a tea cup