Censorship? - at a government briefing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tinpotflowers

Censorship? - at a government briefing

Post by Tinpotflowers »

Mat Hancock was being asked an awkward question regarding him holding meetings in his office with 20 people. Before the questions could finish the question, they were cut off to go to the 6pm new at 6.15pm. Censorship?
Psamathe

Re: Censorship?

Post by Psamathe »

I've not heard that one but had read about how reporters were being disconnected once they'd asked their question. Happened to have it on this afternoon and was surprised at how long each reporter question was "<question> and <question> and <question> ..." which struck me as a response to not getting any comeback question once then finished the asking. They had to ask about every possible answer and then if they didn't get an answer they could "did not answer when asked ...".

But it is a difficult one to cry Censorship. It might be and might be being used s a convenience or it might be the new format medium and everybody is feeling their way through it. With people sitting there reporters didn't always get to ask every question they wanted but their lack of opportunity was less by throwing a switch so harder to declare as censorship. So I'm uncertain and even if it is there must be some leeway for adapting to a very new format for such things.

Ian
Oldjohnw

Re: Censorship? - at a government briefing

Post by Oldjohnw »

No censorship. No-one was cut off. The press conference continued and the journalists remained. It is on YouTube in full. It just happened to hit news time.
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

Did it continue on BBC News or Parliament?

It seems to be repeated on BBC Parliament 0125 tonight if you really want it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tinpotflowers

Post by Tinpotflowers »

mjr wrote:Did it continue on BBC News or Parliament?

It seems to be repeated on BBC Parliament 0125 tonight if you really want it.

I stand corrected https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ex7uIGUdSE
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Funny how some people assume the worst (censorship, lying, blah blah blah ) without first looking at the facts and the normal schedules. I saw this one and frankly, the questioner took so long to get to the point I got fed up of listening just as the program switched over. I felt Matt Hancock was giving his "what on earth are you talking about" look - I certainly would have!

Just as I often get fed up with the Q&A session - especially the question about "Who's in charge while the PM is ill" - do these correspondents not know that there is not only a deputy, but also a succession plan for emergencies (possibly not published in full for security reasons)? Damned obvious, really, without wasting airtime over and over again when there are more important things to consider.

The other one is PPE - same question, same answer every day. If the questioner was a tad more specifc it would be useful - eg when did he/she talk to the doctors/healthworkers, where were they etc. so whoever gives the answer could get a handle on it. If I was being asked this question, I'd want to know these details so I could get someone onto it right after the briefing then instigate corrective action and come back with a proper answer the next time round such as "yes, there was a problem with distribution in that area, but we've fixed it and noticed a similar problem in other areas and fixed those too".
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !