the young and social distance

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tinpotflowers

the young and social distance

Post by Tinpotflowers »

I live in London; I notice when I go out for my daily exercise whether walking or cycling that I try to social distance, other do not, particularly the young (under 35 year of age)
I had conversation (at 4 metre distance) the other day with my local councillor he had notices the same.

Is this just London or is it everywhere?
mercalia

Re: the young and social distance

Post by mercalia »

old no. young it varies.
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

it's to be seen around the country, the young have this immortal attitude, backed up by been able to press reset on the xbox-19. I've had the occasional youngster give me plus 2 metres berth. But then others pass close in a gaggle.
T-800

Post by T-800 »

I’m 50 and don’t.If someone wants to I’ve no objection but I won’t go out of my way to do so.
What really annoys me Is those who shout “TWO METRES” when you’re queuing who have no ^#%+~#%^ idea what 2m is :roll: I find it’s generally those older than me who don’t realise it’s about 6.5ft..not 16ft...not two car lengths as one particularly argumentative old fool kept insisting.
It’s bad enough having the queue too get in a shop without all the extra hassle of being told you’re not 2m when you’re actually double that.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

T-800 wrote:I’m 50 and don’t.If someone wants to I’ve no objection but I won’t go out of my way to do so.
What really annoys me Is those who shout “TWO METRES” when you’re queuing who have no ^#%+~#%^ idea what 2m is :roll: I find it’s generally those older than me who don’t realise it’s about 6.5ft..not 16ft...not two car lengths as one particularly argumentative old fool kept insisting.
It’s bad enough having the queue too get in a shop without all the extra hassle of being told you’re not 2m when you’re actually double that.

Is that you complaining about mad ole totalitarianistas merely enjoying themselves doing their Mary Whitehouse act? They have every right to abuse all & sundry with made-up rools as they are "being an obedient subject" which is now Very Important. I'm surprised you haven't been admonished by a talking police drone; or even one wielding a large airborne truncheon!

And every ole fool no that a car is only one metre long, got from the length of a 2CV by them French in 1795.

Cugel, practicing mad-old-fool mode, for future use so as to fit in.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

The young think they're invincible, it's just the way it is. If older people can't think back to foolhardy things they did as teenagers then either they've got bad memories or they've led saintly lives.

At the beginning of this social distancing advice the worst offenders were the old from what l heard in my own family. The worst offenders round here is workmen on a building site who have not stopped work. They are young (as in 20s) to middle aged. I think they would argue they're mainly 2m apart but sometimes they ain't and deliveries etc are always being made

It's also evident that some people aren't following the 'only going out when you need to' advice. As l was riding through the village a couple of days ago l saw a man with three girls under 10 (all his daughters presumably) eating ice creams bought from the shop, no other shopping. Is he following advice? - no - but is he breaking any rules?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Ben@Forest wrote:It's also evident that some people aren't following the 'only going out when you need to' advice. As l was riding through the village a couple of days ago l saw a man with three girls under 10 (all his daughters presumably) eating ice creams bought from the shop, no other shopping. Is he following advice? - no - but is he breaking any rules?

Exercise as a family ...Yes
Buying essential items....Yes
Broken no guidelines as I see it :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
T-800

Post by T-800 »

Paulatic wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:It's also evident that some people aren't following the 'only going out when you need to' advice. As l was riding through the village a couple of days ago l saw a man with three girls under 10 (all his daughters presumably) eating ice creams bought from the shop, no other shopping. Is he following advice? - no - but is he breaking any rules?

Agreed.
I call to the local shop for a bar of chocolate when I walk the dog.If my son is with me we both have chocolate.It's essential to fuel ones body when "exercising" :D
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

T-800 wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

Agreed.
I call to the local shop for a bar of chocolate when I walk the dog.If my son is with me we both have chocolate.It's essential to fuel ones body when "exercising" :D

Do you enjoy chocolate? I think taking any enjoyment in anything is contravening the Lockdown rules in force. Similarly, smiling is prima facie evidence of wrongdoing and must be eliminated at all costs.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bonefishblues wrote:
T-800 wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Exercise as a family ...Yes

Agreed.

Do you enjoy chocolate? I think taking any enjoyment in anything is contravening the Lockdown rules in force. Similarly, smiling is prima facie evidence of wrongdoing and must be eliminated at all costs.

Thats the impression Mr Plod wants to make you believe?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I usually have my bike ride - every other day as I walk with Mrs Ojw every other day - either around coffee or lunch time and always take a snack which I have looking towards the hills.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
T-800 wrote:Agreed.

A few, to be fair, but I think common sense generally prevails.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Do you enjoy chocolate? I think taking any enjoyment in anything is contravening the Lockdown rules in force. Similarly, smiling is prima facie evidence of wrongdoing and must be eliminated at all costs.

I am surprised they havent called for people to be tracked with their mobile phones. You can imagine some great "war room" with 2000" displays of a map of the UK with all the dots representing people, then sending "task"forces to "deal" with collections of "dots"

from another thread

Last edited by mercalia on 12 Apr 2020, 1:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
mercalia wrote:

I am surprised they havent called for people to be tracked with their mobile phones. You can imagine some great "war room" with 2000" displays with all the dots representing people, then sending "task"forces to "deal" with collections of "dots"

from another thread

South Korea used that technology hot to constrain, but rather to contact trace and by so doing contained their outbreak notably effectively. We wouldn't dare. Whether we should or not's a different debate, but it's obviously of great reassurance to see Derby Plod using their drones in such an insightful way :?
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

In my area it's the exact opposite. It seems to be the retired who don't get it, going against the 1 way signs in the supermarket and generally being completely oblivious to it all at the allotments. It's a small proportion obviously, but quite evident.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....