Cancelling Holidays.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham
Posts: 975
Joined: 4 Nov 2019, 1:33pm

Cancelling Holidays.

Postby Cowsham » 12 Apr 2020, 7:54pm

Anyone here having to cancel holidays -- I may have to cancel everything tomorrow costing many hundreds of pounds.

Our accommodation is with an ABTA affiliated company but I fear that I will not be covered even if I do pay the full amount since it isn't a package holiday ( I booked the accommodation with the company separate from travel )

I also have booked shows etc -- I have no travel insurance but haven't checked if my credit card covers this or not.

The holiday is not till the end of June but I have to pay the balance of the accommodation near the end of this month. The other factor is that we have one child who is very high risk ( in icu in November with a type of flu like swine flu -- he's chronic asthmatic ) so we may not be happy about leaving our relatively safe part of NI for York which was hotchin with the virus.

That's the predicament -- anyone else in this scenario ?

ossie
Posts: 1140
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 7:52pm

Re: Cancelling Holidays.

Postby ossie » 12 Apr 2020, 8:06pm

How much do you stand to lose ?

I wouldn't be paying a final payment on a June holiday.

We were meant to be flying to Singapore, then Australia in three days time. Flights were £1600 and all have been cancelled. Trying to get even a response from the travel company has been a complete nightmare.

We are also meant to be going to the Caribbean in November and I can't see that happening.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50656
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Cancelling Holidays.

Postby Mick F » 12 Apr 2020, 8:12pm

Mrs Mick F and Daughter1+son are booked on a holiday in Greece this summer.
Full payment for the package is due at the end of this month having only paid the minimum deposit to secure the booking some time back.

Advice is to pay up, and then if the holiday is a no-no and is cancelled, they get the money back.
If it's not paid, then no refund would be likely.
Mick F. Cornwall

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: Cancelling Holidays.

Postby carpetcleaner » 12 Apr 2020, 8:40pm

Looks like the virus might help prevent global warming.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

PH
Posts: 9786
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Cancelling Holidays.

Postby PH » 12 Apr 2020, 8:49pm

If it is still available and you decide not to go, look at the terms and conditions to see if you are entitled to any refund or released from any obligation to pay.
Not my words, straight off the ABTA website. I'd first read those T&C's ,then talk to whoever you bought the holiday from. If you don't have an option to cancel. you might also look at a postponement, I've done this with some accommodation I had booked for May though it wasn't a lot of money.

ossie
Posts: 1140
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 7:52pm

Re: Cancelling Holidays.

Postby ossie » 12 Apr 2020, 9:01pm

carpetcleaner wrote:Looks like the virus might help prevent global warming.

Every cloud has a silver lining.


You really are a ray of sunshine aren't you.

millimole
Posts: 655
Joined: 18 Feb 2007, 5:41pm
Location: Leicester

Re: Cancelling Holidays.

Postby millimole » 12 Apr 2020, 9:06pm

The advice I've seen (MoneysavingExpert) is to pay the full amount, you stand to lose the deposit, but by paying the full cost it would all be refunded if they cancel the holiday. Your situation may be different, so check carefully!

We had an Interrail holiday booked departing mid-May. All hotels and seat reservations booked - it's taken forever to untangle it and its still not completely sorted.
The most expensive hotels (3) I booked as cheaply as I could on a non-refundable rate - those should be covered by travel insurance. I can't get a straight answer from Eurostar or Austrian Railways (Nightjet sleeper reservation) about refunds.
The ticket issuer, Booking.com and Stena ferries have been exemplary.
The jury is still out on how we're being dealt with by Interrail.eu who issue the seat reservations.
At least I've got the insurance to fall back on - a lesson learned the hard way when EasyJet let us down a couple of years ago.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Audaxing on my Dawes; Riding to work on a Decathlon Hoprider

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: Cancelling Holidays.

Postby carpetcleaner » 12 Apr 2020, 9:19pm

ossie wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:Looks like the virus might help prevent global warming.

Every cloud has a silver lining.


You really are a ray of sunshine aren't you.


Is there anything more important than saving the planet for our children and grandchildren?

Stay at home. Stay safe. Don't kill the planet.

My planned holidays are staying with friends in London, cycling in North Wales and camping in Dumfries and Galloway. As soon as the lock down is lifted I'll be OK. My only concern is rearranged football matches. I have a season ticket and a 29 year year record of never missing a home match to protect.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10798
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Cancelling Holidays.

Postby Cunobelin » 12 Apr 2020, 9:29pm

I know it does not cover everybody, but the Watchdog advice was to pay as that way they cancelled and had to refund, if you don't pay you have breached and you lose any deposit

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10798
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Cancelling Holidays.

Postby Cunobelin » 12 Apr 2020, 9:33pm

carpetcleaner wrote:
ossie wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:Looks like the virus might help prevent global warming.

Every cloud has a silver lining.


You really are a ray of sunshine aren't you.


Is there anything more important than saving the planet for our children and grandchildren?

Stay at home. Stay safe. Don't kill the planet.

My planned holidays are staying with friends in London, cycling in North Wales and camping in Dumfries and Galloway. As soon as the lock down is lifted I'll be OK. My only concern is rearranged football matches. I have a season ticket and a 29 year year record of never missing a home match to protect.



You do realise that there is a balance..... whilst some sorts of pollution are down others are up

Look forward to your evidence that the overall benefit is positive.

Then you can follow up with how the current death toll justifies those savings

ossie
Posts: 1140
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 7:52pm

Re: Cancelling Holidays.

Postby ossie » 12 Apr 2020, 10:04pm

carpetcleaner wrote:
Is there anything more important than saving the planet for our children and grandchildren?

Stay at home. Stay safe. Don't kill the planet.



Give over

The guy wanted to know if he should pay his balance off, he didn't need a lecture on saving the planet...likewise ...some decent advice above it appears..

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: Cancelling Holidays.

Postby carpetcleaner » 12 Apr 2020, 10:17pm

ossie wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
Is there anything more important than saving the planet for our children and grandchildren?

Stay at home. Stay safe. Don't kill the planet.



Give over

The guy wanted to know if he should pay his balance off, he didn't need a lecture on saving the planet...likewise ...some decent advice above it appears..


The climate crisis is a much bigger threat to humanity than the virus.

Are we really expected to show concern for people who are experiencing difficulties with their globetrotting?

ossie
Posts: 1140
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 7:52pm

Re: Cancelling Holidays.

Postby ossie » 12 Apr 2020, 10:18pm

carpetcleaner wrote:
ossie wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
Is there anything more important than saving the planet for our children and grandchildren?

Stay at home. Stay safe. Don't kill the planet.



Give over

The guy wanted to know if he should pay his balance off, he didn't need a lecture on saving the planet...likewise ...some decent advice above it appears..


The climate crisis is a much bigger threat to humanity than the virus.

Are we really expected to show concern for people who are experiencing difficulties with their globetrotting?


The thread is about his holiday..he also wanted to know about others in a similar position.

Instead of trolling it perhaps pop off and start a climate change thread...just an idea.

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: Cancelling Holidays.

Postby carpetcleaner » 12 Apr 2020, 10:58pm

ossie wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
ossie wrote:
Give over

The guy wanted to know if he should pay his balance off, he didn't need a lecture on saving the planet...likewise ...some decent advice above it appears..


The climate crisis is a much bigger threat to humanity than the virus.

Are we really expected to show concern for people who are experiencing difficulties with their globetrotting?


The thread is about his holiday..he also wanted to know about others in a similar position.

Instead of trolling it perhaps pop off and start a climate change thread...just an idea.


I don't mind if you post on this thread or not. I'll read all your posts. One of the benefits of this horrible virus emergency is the reduction in CO2 emissions. Another is less deadly urban air pollution. Once the emergency is over I think we should strive to continue these benefits.

Cycling UK is an organisation which promotes cycling as good for the environment so I don't think it is unreasonable to contribute to a Cycling UK forum topic which encourages activity which is bad for the environment - ie foreign travel by aeroplane.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle-campaigning

ossie
Posts: 1140
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 7:52pm

Re: Cancelling Holidays.

Postby ossie » 12 Apr 2020, 11:05pm

carpetcleaner wrote:
ossie wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
The climate crisis is a much bigger threat to humanity than the virus.

Are we really expected to show concern for people who are experiencing difficulties with their globetrotting?


The thread is about his holiday..he also wanted to know about others in a similar position.

Instead of trolling it perhaps pop off and start a climate change thread...just an idea.


I don't mind if you post on this thread or not. I'll read all your posts. One of the benefits of this horrible virus emergency is the reduction in CO2 emissions. Another is less deadly urban air pollution. Once the emergency is over I think we should strive to continue these benefits.

Cycling UK is an organisation which promotes cycling as good for the environment so I don't think it is unreasonable to contribute to a Cycling UK forum topic which encourages activity which is bad for the environment - ie foreign travel by aeroplane.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle-campaigning


Thanks for trying to teach me to suck eggs but that is a really tenuous link . This place was actually the Cyclists Touring Club (CTC) before they did a fancy name change and long before you joined a random forum in the hope of trying to educate people .

Can we get back on topic for the OP's sake ? Many of us must be in a similar position.