Cancelling Holidays.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: Cancelling Holidays.

Post by Cowsham »

ossie wrote:How much do you stand to lose ?

I wouldn't be paying a final payment on a June holiday.

We were meant to be flying to Singapore, then Australia in three days time. Flights were £1600 and all have been cancelled. Trying to get even a response from the travel company has been a complete nightmare.

We are also meant to be going to the Caribbean in November and I can't see that happening.

Up near a grand -- in deposits and show fees etc -- I'd be willing to defer everything to next year if the firms are still in business by then but even that's in doubt. I'd only take the chance on doing that if I didn't have to pay the balance now otherwise I'll cancel and take the hit. The ferry fees I can get a deferred sailing or money back ( I think )
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote:Mrs Mick F and Daughter1+son are booked on a holiday in Greece this summer.
Full payment for the package is due at the end of this month having only paid the minimum deposit to secure the booking some time back.

Advice is to pay up, and then if the holiday is a no-no and is cancelled, they get the money back.
If it's not paid, then no refund would be likely.

Only if it's a package holiday by the way I'm reading the t and c's
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

Again, another example where a caring considerate government would say OK, at this time, we do not advise any non essential travel until 1st January 2021. Then most insurance companies would have to cough up. But no, despite many hints around the globe that this pandemic and the countermeasures will remain to some degree in place until well into next year.
for example:
The initial details of the deal, outlined by Opec+ on Thursday, would have seen the group and its allies cutting 10 million barrels a day or 10% of global supply from 1 May. Another five million barrels were expected to be cut by other nations outside the group such as the US, Canada, Brazil and Norway.

It said the cuts would be eased to eight million barrels a day between July and December. Then they would be eased again to six million barrels between January 2021 and April 2022.

why would these battling producers finally agree to such a long production cut unless they're basing it on projections that we're not privy to. I know why they ordinarily cut production, to force the price of a barrel up, but if the world is about to spring back into life, it's reasonable to expect that the need for oil will shoot back up as manufacturing tries to regain lost ground.

Another hint as to how long the measures are likely to last for, will be to monitor what the various hedge funds and short sellers are doing.

I consider myself lucky, I'd planned a one last trek interrailing around Europe for 3 months this summer, but was waiting until the exchange rate was perfect. It had reached 1.20 but at the same time, middle of February, this virus was starting to look very serious indeed so I wavered and waited. I would have paid for everything by credito cardo so even if the insurance baulked at refunding, I'd have section 75 cover. But any single night's accommodation I might have booked would have been too cheap to be covered.

I honestly cannot imagine that international travel would be sensible by June this year. Insurance companies aren't going to take on any fresh risk, if and when there is another wave of infections, which could be even worse, then the shutters will come down even quicker than the first time as the authorities will be practised at it. Stick to England, it's safer.
irc

Post by irc »

I was due to go to a cottage in Nairn for a week in June. No refunds on offer. Uncertain what the position will be in June. Only £30 deposit paid so far but another couple of hundred liable if I cancel. THere was an offer of amending dates in same property free of charge. We decided to do this. Have booked a week in June nexy year. Nothing extra tp pay and no more on top of original £30 deposit until next year.

Seems a reasonable compromise. It's a place we go to regularly and our choice of cottages is very limited as we want dog friendly places.

Not great for the cottage owner who will be losing a lot of money if this lockdown goes on but works for us.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cowsham wrote:
Mick F wrote:Mrs Mick F and Daughter1+son are booked on a holiday in Greece this summer.
Full payment for the package is due at the end of this month having only paid the minimum deposit to secure the booking some time back.

Advice is to pay up, and then if the holiday is a no-no and is cancelled, they get the money back.
If it's not paid, then no refund would be likely.

Only if it's a package holiday by the way I'm reading the t and c's
Yes, it's a package holiday.
Booked through 1st Choice.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:Again, another example where a caring considerate government would say OK, at this time, we do not advise any non essential travel until 1st January 2021. Then most insurance companies would have to cough up. But no, despite many hints around the globe that this pandemic and the countermeasures will remain to some degree in place until well into next year.
for example:
The initial details of the deal, outlined by Opec+ on Thursday, would have seen the group and its allies cutting 10 million barrels a day or 10% of global supply from 1 May. Another five million barrels were expected to be cut by other nations outside the group such as the US, Canada, Brazil and Norway.

It said the cuts would be eased to eight million barrels a day between July and December. Then they would be eased again to six million barrels between January 2021 and April 2022.

why would these battling producers finally agree to such a long production cut unless they're basing it on projections that we're not privy to. I know why they ordinarily cut production, to force the price of a barrel up, but if the world is about to spring back into life, it's reasonable to expect that the need for oil will shoot back up as manufacturing tries to regain lost ground.

Another hint as to how long the measures are likely to last for, will be to monitor what the various hedge funds and short sellers are doing.

I consider myself lucky, I'd planned a one last trek interrailing around Europe for 3 months this summer, but was waiting until the exchange rate was perfect. It had reached 1.20 but at the same time, middle of February, this virus was starting to look very serious indeed so I wavered and waited. I would have paid for everything by credito cardo so even if the insurance baulked at refunding, I'd have section 75 cover. But any single night's accommodation I might have booked would have been too cheap to be covered.

I honestly cannot imagine that international travel would be sensible by June this year. Insurance companies aren't going to take on any fresh risk, if and when there is another wave of infections, which could be even worse, then the shutters will come down even quicker than the first time as the authorities will be practised at it. Stick to England, it's safer.

Jeepers -- it's England I was planing to go to but it's riddled with virus.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

irc wrote:I was due to go to a cottage in Nairn for a week in June. No refunds on offer. Uncertain what the position will be in June. Only £30 deposit paid so far but another couple of hundred liable if I cancel. THere was an offer of amending dates in same property free of charge. We decided to do this. Have booked a week in June nexy year. Nothing extra tp pay and no more on top of original £30 deposit until next year.

Seems a reasonable compromise. It's a place we go to regularly and our choice of cottages is very limited as we want dog friendly places.

Not great for the cottage owner who will be losing a lot of money if this lockdown goes on but works for us.

This would suit me fine too cos that exactly the position I find myself in with one week of the holiday near York -- the other week is narrowboating but the firm said earlier before the lockdown that they may not be able to survive a lockdown which there is now. ( they agreed to defer to next year if still in business but we'd have to pay in full and take the risk ) ---- who did you book the cottage through?
irc

Post by irc »

Cowsham wrote:
irc wrote:I was due to go to a cottage in Nairn for a week in June. No refunds on offer. Uncertain what the position will be in June. Only £30 deposit paid so far but another couple of hundred liable if I cancel. THere was an offer of amending dates in same property free of charge. We decided to do this. Have booked a week in June nexy year. Nothing extra tp pay and no more on top of original £30 deposit until next year.

This would suit me fine too cos that exactly the position I find myself in with one week of the holiday near York -- the other week is narrowboating but the firm said earlier before the lockdown that they may not be able to survive a lockdown which there is now. ( they agreed to defer to next year if still in business but we'd have to pay in full and take the risk ) ---- who did you book the cottage through?

Booked through Sykes cottages.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

irc wrote:
Cowsham wrote:

Booked through Sykes cottages.

Thanks -- mine is through cottages.com I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow --
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

A few years ago I went down with labrynthitis and we had to cancel a cottage at considerable cost. We now pay a few quid for insurance. We had two short hotel breaks booked - one for last week for our 30th anniversary and one in June to see the wild meadows at Hannah Hauxwell's place in Upper Teasdale. Both flexible bookings so able to cancel.

I had planned three UK cycle tours between 5 and 10 days: Cotswolds, Inner Hebrides and Cairngorms. Hopefully, I won't be too old next year. Every year counts nowadays.
John
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

Though as an aside, does it rankle with anyone else that Hotels.com say "book with us with free cancellation in case you change your mind"
But the cost of the "free cancellation" booking is around 10 to 15% dearer than the cost of booking the same accommodation without free cancellation.....
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Wish holidays and losing a few '00s or '000s of quids top of my worry list! I see no prospect of any holiday again ever for me.
PH

Post by PH »

djnotts wrote:Wish holidays and losing a few '00s or '000s of quids top of my worry list! I

I'd be surprised if it was top of anyone's worry list dj, but those of us hoping for the best are also planning for it.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

PH wrote:
djnotts wrote:Wish holidays and losing a few '00s or '000s of quids top of my worry list! I

I'd be surprised if it was top of anyone's worry list dj, but those of us hoping for the best are also planning for it.

Yep not the top of my worry list either -- just another thing to sort. Balancing holding onto my job whilst shielding my asthmatic son ( and the rest of my family ) is the most important thing.
millimole

Post by millimole »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:Though as an aside, does it rankle with anyone else that Hotels.com say "book with us with free cancellation in case you change your mind"
But the cost of the "free cancellation" booking is around 10 to 15% dearer than the cost of booking the same accommodation without free cancellation.....
This seems to be the industry standard.
As far as I'm concerned this is generally a reasonable bet.
For my trip (above) I gambled on the probability of the trip not happening and lost on three of my hotels. But, I knew I had the safety net of both travel insurance and I'd used a credit card to book.
If I were a hotel operator I would certainly look at the potential losses associated with late cancellations and balance that with the costs of 'no refund' charges. Equally, if hotels would stop the stupidity of dynamic pricing there'd be less late cancellations.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider