Stirling Moss

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rmurphy195

Stirling Moss

Post by rmurphy195 »

A hero of mine in my boyhood, the greatest driver never to win the world championship and a great sportsman, RIP.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Stirling Moss

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

rmurphy195 wrote:A hero of mine in my boyhood, the greatest driver never to win the world championship and a great sportsman, RIP.

I met him to chat to a few times over the years at Goodwood events. He was a really interesting character, and ( nearly ) always happy to chat. The only time he didn’t was when he was running behind schedule, and even then he had a way of letting you know, without losing his charm. He’d been missing for the last couple of years unfortunately. A top bloke, and a fantastic sportsman, they don’t make them like that anymore. R.I.P.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Interesting that I've seen a few 'variable' reviews of Sir Stirling's occasional lack of social grace over the last couple of days.
Marcus Aurelius

Bonefishblues wrote:Interesting that I've seen a few 'variable' reviews of Sir Stirling's occasional lack of social grace over the last couple of days.

Oh if you overstepped the mark, he sure as heck could give a terse response, but if you didn’t do or say anything daft, he was fine. I saw him give an interviewer a bit of a dressing down for questioning a couple of his decisions during his career, and that was definitely another string to his bow.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:A hero of mine in my boyhood, the greatest driver never to win the world championship and a great sportsman, RIP.

I met him to chat to a few times over the years at Goodwood events. He was a really interesting character, and ( nearly ) always happy to chat. The only time he didn’t was when he was running behind schedule, and even then he had a way of letting you know, without losing his charm. He’d been missing for the last couple of years unfortunately. A top bloke, and a fantastic sportsman, they don’t make them like that anymore. R.I.P.

+1 Yep also met him and like John Surtees a lovely man.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think John S was unalloyed, iyswim :)
Marcus Aurelius

Bonefishblues wrote:I think John S was unalloyed, iyswim :)

John was another big favourite of mine, and another Goodwood stalwart. I also knew John through the Buckmore Park kart circuit in Kent, he was another fascinating character, and was also a 2 wheel racing legend. He and Stirling will no doubt be chewing the fat up there in the ( insert home of particular sky fairy).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I think John S was unalloyed, iyswim :)

John was another big favourite of mine, and another Goodwood stalwart. I also knew John through the Buckmore Park kart circuit in Kent, he was another fascinating character, and was also a 2 wheel racing legend. He and Stirling will no doubt be chewing the fat up there in the ( insert home of particular sky fairy).

Not really for this thread, but matter of shame that he wasn't Sir John IMHO.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

ANecdotal, but you want it to be true.

The story where a Police Officer stopped a speeding driver and opened with the line "Who do we think we are Sir, Stirling Moss?"

The driver replied "Actually Officer"
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cunobelin wrote:ANecdotal, but you want it to be true.

The story where a Police Officer stopped a speeding driver and opened with the line "Who do we think we are Sir, Stirling Moss?"

Would that be the time he was done for dangerous driving?

In April 1960, Moss was found guilty of dangerous driving. He was fined £50 and banned from driving for twelve months after an incident near Chetwynd, Shropshire, when he was test-driving a Mini.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

A legend. I saw him drive when quite an old man and he still had a gift.
His win in the Mille Miglia with Denis Jenkinson was my boyhood memory.
Run over a route of 1000 miles on public roads it was very dangerous and fatigue was a big problem, Rumour has it he took some form of stimulant to keep alert.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote:A legend. I saw him drive when quite an old man and he still had a gift.
His win in the Mille Miglia with Denis Jenkinson was my boyhood memory.
Run over a route of 1000 miles on public roads it was very dangerous and fatigue was a big problem, Rumour has it he took some form of stimulant to keep alert.

That'd be speed :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Yes he was both a fantastic driver and a nice man. I had the pleasure of meeting him and his sister Pat when I did some PR photography for Dunlop.

As a slight aside; there was a lady CTC member and tour leader that was Pat Moss's co-driver in many of her rallies. I think her name was Margaret, is she still around I wonder?
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Marcus Aurelius

Cunobelin wrote:ANecdotal, but you want it to be true.

I seem to remember an interview he was asked something about that. He said “I don’t recall that incident, no, I think it may have been Mike Hawthorn”.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Anecdotal, but you want it to be true.

I seem to remember an interview he was asked something about that. He said “I don’t recall that incident, no, I think it may have been Mike Hawthorn”.

As I said, it is one of those anecdotes that you want to be true.