Covid 19 outbreak - arguing about Stats (again)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Covid 19 outbreak - arguing about Stats (again)

Post by Jdsk »

kwackers wrote:I tend to rely on New Scientist for my info, it has less sensationalism and more common sense than the rags.
People could be forgiven for thinking that everything is up in the air yet when you read through the articles in NS from the very start nothing much has changed.
The overall consensus remains the same and what was predicted by the scientists back then pretty much came to pass as written.

Yes, NS has done very well.

And, yes, this has turned out very much as predicted. Many of the sneering attacks on the modellers turn to dust when investigated.

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

roubaixtuesday wrote:He's allowed to for work.

He wouldn't know what work was if he walked into it.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... dApp_Other

75,000 deaths. Almost twice that of the Blitz.
John
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Posts about the vaccine have been moved to viewtopic.php?f=49&t=142212&start=300
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Me and Sailor the Doggie have done six miles today.
Walked along the river to Chilsworthy to the White Hart and arrived just as they were opening at noon ........................ and just as BBC Spotlight were there too.

Me and another chap were first in, and Sailor too, and we were interviewed by Spotlight. Amy and the staff were interviewed as well.

I had a couple of pints there, then me and Sailor walked back along the river and called in at the Rising Sun.
It appears that a someone in the Riser had already seen the lunchtime edition of the Spotlight programme, and remarked that they'd seen us! :D

We don't have a telly, so I can't see what's been broadcast.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I think it was the manager of the White Hart who was on BBC R4 The World at One today.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000py9c

Jonathan

PS: BBC stories are now immediately centralised so that they can be used across channels and programmes.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote:Me and Sailor the Doggie have done six miles today.
Walked along the river to Chilsworthy to the White Hart and arrived just as they were opening at noon ........................ and just as BBC Spotlight were there too.

Me and another chap were first in, and Sailor too, and we were interviewed by Spotlight. Amy and the staff were interviewed as well.

I had a couple of pints there, then me and Sailor walked back along the river and called in at the Rising Sun.
It appears that a someone in the Riser had already seen the lunchtime edition of the Spotlight programme, and remarked that they'd seen us! :D

We don't have a telly, so I can't see what's been broadcast.

I hope anything you said to camera was better informed than your earlier post about people from Devon not being allowed into Cornwall.

Otherwise, that's how urban myths gain traction, as we trendy people say.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

TC .................... I have more to say on this subject, but I don't want to be quoted so I protect people I know, so I'll say nowt for now.
What I have to say, is very relevant to your post.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This is the post you refer to?
Mick F wrote:So .....................
People in Devon mustn't come across the river to drink in our pubs.
Sorry, but I should have said ONLY drink in or pubs .................... instead of eating and drinking in our pubs.

Been into two today and had two pints in each and NO FOOD and it wasn't required either.
People from Devon would need to eat as well as drink.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Jdsk wrote:I think it was the manager of the White Hart who was on BBC R4 The World at One today.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000py9c
Just listened to it.

Relevant bit is from 33mins in.
Ian gave a good account.

No mention of me and Sailor though! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

National Audit Office: "The government’s approach to test and trace in England – interim report":
https://www.nao.org.uk/report/the-governments-approach-to-test-and-trace-in-england-interim-report/?slide=1

Jonathan